Thursday, October 25, 2007

Adventures In Horribly Depressing Country And Western Music

I know I've been posting a shit-ton of videos lately but, man, I just couldn't let this one slide by without a mention. This song is so hysterically overwrought and forced-tragic, I'm even willing to admit that I found it while actively looking for Dolly Parton videos... that's how much I want you kids to see it. Here, grab a hankie and give it a watch:

"Jeannie's Afraid of the Dark" By Dolly Parton w/ Porter Wagoner

Can you fucking believe that??? How was this acceptable for-TV entertainment? Was there a child-death movement in the early-70's C&W scene that I never heard about? I mean, fuck... this makes "Tears In Heaven" look like the Sammy Davis Jr. version of "The Candy Man."

Also, Porter Wagoner's jacket is the most aggressively rhinestoned garment not owned by a drag queen.

6 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy said...

You think that's bad, you should check out the lyrics in 'Artificial Flowers' by Bobby Darin.

He sings about a parent-less kid, living off the streets, that is eventually found dead and frozen.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Shit, dude, that's horrible. I *feel* horrible now. Nicely done!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Oops. Wrong link.

Correct one here.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Porter's over-earnest poetry jam at the end of the song is way too kitsch for my taste.

Any one else notice the very large woman clapping wildly at the very start of the video?

7:25 PM  
Blogger blythe said...

i wish dolly parton was from oklahoma, but she's not. jolene is the best! also, her performance in steel magnolias, my fourth favorite movie is stellar (and terrible - it's her gift). i have all of her lines memorized. try me.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for ruining my day. Might have to go home now as I am all depressed.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home