Tuesday, October 23, 2007

And Now, Some Happy(ish) Music

Okay, I think we really need a cheery tune around here, particularly since I did my best this morning to drag you all down with me into a deep, dark hole of music-induced depression, and now I kind of feel bad about it.

I know this isn't like technically the happiest song ever written; it's basically about a Southern loser crashing at woman's house because he knows she'll let him stay there for free while he drinks and gambles himself into oblivion. Still, for whatever reason (possibly because I strongly identify with the song's protagonist, being a drunken Southerner myself), it's always been a tune that has made me smile...

"Up On Cripple Creek" by The Band

Random Thoughts:

-If I could choose a singing voice to have, I think it would be the one currently owned by Levon Helm. The guy sounds like a backwoods moonshiner who showed up fifteen minutes after they invented the concept of "party time" and brought with him a truckload of steaks, drugs, and loose women who think you're really fascinating.

-Just in case anyone doesn't know, the above clip is from a documentary/concert film about The Band called The Last Waltz that was directed by Martin Scorsese back in the late 70's. It's totally awesome, features a ton of musicians who were friendly with The Band, and it'll make you want to start playing music with your friends out in a garage in the hopes that one day you'll be involved in something cool like this. Most of it is available on the YouTube, FYI.

-Despite all the good vibes and sonic pleasantness that's given off by the above clip (as well as by the movie itself) , there was apparently a ton of backstage drama. Mostly, it involved lead guitarist Robbie Robertson, who's pretty widely regarded as a credit-hogging ass, trying to, surprise!, take credit for The Band's popularity, sound, success, etc. Not helping matters: Martin Scorsese was Robertson's BFF.

-That's not quite the positive note I wanted to end this post on, but... oh well.

2 Comments:

Blogger julepandme said...

Clinton,

You'll be glad to know (if you don't already) that ole Levon is singing once again.

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is my fav Band song. It makes me cry like a little girl every time I hear it.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

That's awesome; I knew he'd had throat surgery fairly recently. Glad to hear the man's back in action. Also, I was thiiiis close to putting "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" up, but went with "Up On Cripple Creek" at the last minute because it better fit the happy music theme. "Dixie" is one of my favorite songs, too, totally.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home