Thursday, September 06, 2007

Luciano Pavarotti: Dead


This probably won't come as much of a shock, but I know absolutely nothing about Luciano Pavarotti. I mean, sure, the basics... he sang opera, was fat, Italian, died of pancreatic cancer (I just read that; wouldn't have known otherwise), but beyond that, with regards to his career, his talents, his life in general... I got nothing. Oh, wait, I do know that he was one of the vaunted 3 Tenors, along with that other guy and the one with the hair. Otherwise, the man remains a mystery.
It's the opera, really. Don't care for it. Don't "get" it, which I'm sure speaks volumes about my levels of sophistication and class. I've seen exactly one opera in my days; an interpretation of the Herman Melville short story, Billy Budd. It was to say the least an experience I'll never forget, like salmonella, or when I broke my arm. Seriously, time stopped; it was the one and only moment in my life that I had a good, hard think on the subject of suicide. Since then, I've been downright opera-phobic, avoiding it at all costs and damning the consequences.
Not that there were consequences; it's just opera, after all. Boring, boring opera. The musical equivalent of a coma.
Question: Are there really still opera fans out there? I mean, opera fans under 60. Because it seems like that's something that's going to die with the outgoing generation. Maybe I'm wrong; someone educate me and, thus, the world.
Anyway, despite all that, it's sad to see Pavarotti go. If for no other reason than it's always a bummer to have another person fatter than me pass on. Just moves me up on the list of all-time fatties still lumbering across the planet. I'll weep openly and unashamedly the day John Goodman dies.
ZFS! extends our (my) thoughts and whatnots to his family, friends, fans, etc...

11 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Ann & Patrick said...

Ugh....Billy Budd. That was one of the worst experiences ever. Did you know that after all of our class' complaining about that book/opera, the following year's class didn't have to read it but got to read Moby Dick instead? Ungrateful bastards!

10:17 AM  
Blogger stew said...

um I like opera. I cannot, however, see making an opera of "Billy Budd."

Bye, Italian guy!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I found it awkward that cnn.com had stories of fans crying on their way to work when they heard about it. It seems worthwhile to be sad if you're really into him, and maybe even have a tear glistening in your eye, but SERIOUSLY? It's not like you know the man. Don't be a fool.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the time Elvis died. Our mother decided to wake us in the middle of the night to let us know. I mean come on I was twelve and probably having a dream of Cheryl Ladd or Farrah Fawcett and she wakes me up to tell me that. I don’t know if she blubbered about it but I think I vaguely remember tears as she shook us all awake. I could never understand the point of crying when someone dies that you did not know.
And Clint you’re not that fat I mean come on man that picture with you next to a pumpkin it is way bigger than you are so you can’t be that large if a pumpkin is bigger then you. You need to work on your self esteem there bud. Didn’t your girlfriend ever tell you that size does not matter!

12:04 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Ruth Ann... Bastards! Having suffered through that, I now know that I can handle anything.

Stew... It was nightmarish, to be sure.

Brooklyn... Word, although I'll probably weep like child when, say, Woody Allen or Bill Murray dies.

David... Yeah, she says that all the time... HEY, what are you implying?!?!

12:13 PM  
Blogger stew said...

omg one of the funniest things I ever read was my own diary entry from the day Elvis died. I was all, "a legend has been shot down."

hahahaha. My dad's secretary had all this black goop all over her face and she cried the entire day.

I don't get that sad anymore when drug addicts I don't know die on a toilet. I think your first time kinda numbs you, you know?

12:54 PM  
Blogger Braden said...

I think one of my elementary school field trips consisted of our class going to check out a college production of Chanticleer.

It was no Rock-a-Doodle, let me tell ya.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Rock-A-Doodle, you will be missed.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Katie. said...

I enjoy opera. I took singing lessons when I was younger and I was constantly singing various arias for competitions. Then I saw "RENT" in high school and became obsessed with Puccini. (As a kid, I thought opera was so cool because "Pirates of Penzance" made Julia Roberts hooker cry in "Pretty Woman"--which makes no sense to me now because it's a comedic opera. I still know all of the words to "I am the very model of a modern Major-General.")

So... yes, there are some of us 20-somethings who appreciate opera and I think that there will always be a small group of young people who appreciate opera--if only because they have to learn, and sing, arias in competitions.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only enjoy the bugs bunny arias...

1:56 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

My grandmother was a trained opera singer.

And my mom was a HUGE Pavarotti®™©™ fan. I have a feeling I'm going to get a phone call tonight.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Hey, it's Enrico Palazzo!!

Actually I like the opera 'Carmen'.

I didn't know I even knew any songs until I saw it.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home