Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Should I Like This Band?

I've been listening to the free XM radio that comes with my AIM thingy (sorry, is that too technical a term?), and that, as is often the case, has lead me to a new band that I'm not entirely sure I'm supposed to like. I mean, yeah, okay... you like what you like and there should be no shame in enjoying music, no matter what it is, but c'mon... we all know that that's only true in theory. In practical application, there's tons of bands that people should be ashamed of for enjoying; music that should be hidden in an attic, Anne Frank-style, and listened to only under the cover of darkness. Creed, Stain'd, My Chemical Romance, Nickleback, any band who's lyrics could prompt a fifteen year old to write poetry... the list is endless, and it's full of an embarrassment known only to those who've been caught masturbating by a parent.

Which brings me back around to my problem. I've come across a band that made me go, and I quote, "Wow." I'd never heard of them before, so I've got no cultural basis from which to form an immediate opinion; all I've got is the few songs I've been able to dig up on the YouTube and, from what I've seen, me likey much much. The catch here is that they're a band that I could totally, totally see being the source for a wellspring of mockery, both for their music and for their overly-theatrical flourishes (there's a lot of elaborate make-up, which, unless you're Bowie in the 70's, tends to be a bad sign). Still... I'm kind of hooked.

So, gentle and non-judgemental readers, I turn this question over to you: Should I like this band?

"Coin-Operated Boy" by The Dresden Dolls

Please help, because if I'm going to get a ton of shit from society for liking these guys, I've seriously got to go find an attic in which I can hide. I guess Craigslist would be the place to start for that?

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll send you my shower rod.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll admit I like them. That's not the best song on their first album, either. Their second album kind of just flopped out and didn't really do much for me. They seem to have been a popular thing for about 5 months and then died off.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you like this there is another band you might like. I think they are called "Roxette". Check out their "Joyride" album.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

David... Are you coming on to me?

Chris... Ah, excellent. Thanks. I'll have to look into their first album. And yeah, they must have died off pretty quick... I've very surprised I'd never heard of them.

Midwesterner... Thanks! Unless you're being sarcastic. Then, no thanks!!!

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop making things up stuff between the lines to read. To tell the truth the song is rather catchy, but don’t tell anyone else I said that or I will deny deny deny.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Braden said...

They're no Rick Astley.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fucking love that song. Thanks for linking the video, I've never seen it.

But then, I like My Chemical Romance too, so... :(

10:50 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

You should like them until they become really huge and EVERYBODY likes them.

Then you should hate them.

12:19 PM  
Blogger stew said...

I already hate them just because other people like them. they're over. They were over the minute you typed their name.

12:26 PM  
Blogger d said...

oh clinton; you're so behind the times, man. they were cool, like, two years ago. i mean. c'mon.

in all seriousness. it's ok to like them. they were never 'my chemical romance'. they were moderately big on the indie music blogs a couple of years ago.

12:48 PM  
Blogger FrancesDanger said...

I like them. Amanda Palmer's cover of "Pretty in Pink" is pretty awesome too. Of course, I *own* Roxette's Joyride album so take that with agrain of salt.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have so many responses to that, that I cant even write them all down. But here are a few -

1) Dude, you like Les Mis. You are soo not sitting at the cool kids table anyway, so who cares.

2) There is a mime in the video. A MIME! Take it from someone who once took a mime class, mimes arent cool.

3) That bad rocks. Really. But dont wear their shirt or anything.

4) My Chemical Romance is NOT a part of that list of bad bands. They may have fallen out of grace with indie snobs, but thats different than being shitty.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Team My Chemical Romance here as well, so step off C-dog.

Ha.

You can like The Dolls if I can like Romance.

[Wait, that sounds kinda funny...]

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All she wants...is another baby.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thief!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant you do know that she's a little bit dangerous, right?

3:53 PM  
Blogger stew said...

um... trying desperately to remember a roxette song... failing...

Martika? Martika anyone? Step by step, heart to heart, left right left, we all fall down, like toy soldiers.

Man, sniff, that gets me every time.

Won't you come out and play with me?

Sob.

4:41 PM  
Blogger blythe said...

yeah, they're old news. but sometimes, old news is good news. also, they describe themselves as brechtian, which is pretty sweet on its own. but once, i had a coin operated boy - not all it's cracked up to be.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Eminem sampled that Martika song.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those sure are some snazzy eyebrows!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Adam Prato said...

I only just found out about the DD at cyndi lauper's true colors tour (if you like DD, check out The Gossip, whose lead singer is almost on par with Ann Wilson of Heart, both size wise and voice wise).

As for the DD, they are one of my current favorite bands. Their music is great as are their lyrics (and I'm not much of a lyrics freak). My tastes are admittedly eclectic (everything from SRV, Hendrix, John Mayer, to Stevie Wonder, Jamiroquai, Mogwai, to Sugarcubes/Bjork).

But to be fair to the DD, they are a band of two, like the white stripes, but unlike the white stripes this couple produces the sound of a full band. Brian Viglione is one of the best drummers I've seen, and Amanda is a great piano player.

I freely own up to my like of the DD with no shame :)

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home