Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Here's A Picture Of Some Gross-Shaped Food



Discussion Questions

-So, apparently, there's a diner in Taipei with a toilet theme; you sit on toilets, you eat out of toilet-shaped bowls and, apparently, they serve ice cream that looks like poop. Yeah.... I... huh... okay, I know I'm like the Jimmy Breslin of scatological humor, but even I'm a little taken aback by this. Really, can anyone actually fathom eating in a place like this? Even ironically, I think it'd be a bit much. I can only imagine that any conversation regarding a meal at the Modern Toilet (which is it's name) would go exactly like this: "Hey, let's eat a that toilet diner!" "Heh, sure, right on! Poop food!!!" "Yeah... okay, so let's go." "Oh, you were serious?" "Well, not really. But you seemed like you wanted..." "Ugh, I don't want to eat there. I was just kidding." "Thank God! Let's hit the IHOP and call it a night!" "Hooray!!!"

-So, if you want ice cream at the Modern Toilet, you pretty much have to get chocolate, right? Because it seems like anything else would screw with their theme, being as how no one has vanilla-white poops. Or mint-chocolate poops. Or Strawberry poops. Or... well, you get my point.

-Given the inherent logic that's present within the Modern Toilet's overall concept and design, shouldn't the restrooms be food-themed? And if they are, which would be more disturbing: Eating food that looks like poop, or pooping on things that look like food? I know it seems like the former would be the answer, but from a strictly avant-garde perspective I'd say they're about equal.

-When I mentioned in the previous question the "avant-garde perspective," did it sound like I knew what I was talking about? Like, did it sound as if I could whip out a Luis Bunuel reference at a moments notice and have it be oh so totally relevant? Because, I'll be honest, I'm just talking out of my ass here.

-You know that part in This Is Spinal Tap when they talk about the two-word review for their "Shark Sandwich" album? The review was, in it's entirety: Shit Sandwich. I bet pun-minded food critics in Taipei had a fucking field day exactly like that with the Modern Toilet. Which, all kidding aside, I think is just really crappy of them.

-See what I did there? I'm so clever.

10 Comments:

Blogger blythe said...

boy have i got a video for you...

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't mint chip ice cream also work? Although, in this context, it may be more nauseating than the chocolate.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Ross said...

Hee, hee.

Poop.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Blythe... If it's the video I'm thinking of, I've already seen it and it was gross.

Harry... The only mint chip that I know of is the Baskin-Robbins variety that's neon green with little black flecks in it. Which, if you're pooping that, wouldn't you be scared you were dying?

Ross... Exactly.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sally Tomato said...

EW! The ice cream looks good, though.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Meanwhile, I may never eat ice cream again. Different strokes, I guess...

11:53 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I'm can be an MC Scat Cat of humor myself, and uh, hope that at least thinking about this will serve as a good diet at this holiday time.

1:22 PM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

The toilet diner looks kinda...interesting?

Then again, I could only sit through the first 4 seconds of *that video* without throwing up, so not sure if the toilet diner is my cup of tea, come to think of it.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Poo is big in Japan.

It's considered 'lucky'.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Colleen.. Bonus points for the double-edged MC Scat Cat reference!

Cheese... Yeah, probably not. "That video" made even me a little meh, and I've seen it all (which is why I'm so dark and mysterious).

Big Daddy... Well, at least know I know what all my friends and family are getting for Christmas!

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home