Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Wednesday Morning Hodgepodge

NOTE: As you may have inferred from the title, this post is kind of an informational jumble. Sorry about that; there's just a lot to discuss and I don't feel like posting a million times today. So away we go...

First thing's first, today is Girlfriend's birthday. Feel free to wish her as happy a b-day as you think she deserves (hint: "the happiest ever" would be a good starting point).

------------------------------------------------

Today is my Friday. That's right... there's nothing better than a job that encourages you to burn off your remaining vacation days. So, as of 5pm today, I'm officially chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool, though I will not be shooting some b-ball outside of the school. I don't have game, you see.

------------------------------------------------

Because apparently this is soup week on ZFS!, here's a quick n' easy recipe for the amazing deliciousness that I made for dinner last night:

Tomato-Basil Soup, Extra Fatty-Style

2 cans crushed tomatoes
12-15 basil leaves, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 stick butter, sliced up
S&P to taste (use fresh-ground black pepper if you're awesome)

Dump all of the above in a bowl. Use one of those stick blenders on the mixture until it's all smooth and creamy and so sexy looking, you just want to dunk your head in and not care if you drown. Pour it all in a pot and heat it up until it's... uh... hot, I guess. When it's done, chow the fuck down and send me a thank-you note. Oh, also, if you eat all of what this recipe yields, your heart will more than likely explode. So share it with friends!

------------------------------------------------

Help Girlfriend and I settle a matter that's been bugging us: How many African-American rock stars from the last twenty years can you name? And I'm talking straight rock and roll and it's immediate offshoots here; i.e. not R&B that's got like a fart's worth of rock in it (like Seal). The list we've been able to come up with so far is:

-Lenny Kravitz (though, gag)
-Darius Rucker from Hootie & The Blowfish
-H.R. from Bad Brains
-That one guy from Blessed Union of Souls
-That scary-looking guy from Sevendust
-Roland Gift from Fine Young Cannibals
-Ben Harper

And that's really it. Surely there's got to be more, right? Remember, we're only talking from the last 20-25 years or so; Hendrix doesn't count. This topic, by the by, comes from watching that The Next Great American Band show on Fox; they've got on there an all African-American band that we've been trying to decide how to classify. They play guitars and stuff, but they kind of sound like a hip-hop version of a college jam band that got peed on by Bootsy Collins.

------------------------------------------------

I've decided that I would like to be photographed. Professionally, I mean; not like with a Polaroid camera, or in a mugshot-type situation. Why have I decided this? Overwhelming narcissism, of course. Duh. So if any of you need a husky, hairy guy to stand in front of your cameras and look all cool and deep... uh, hi. Right here. No nudity, though, unless it's tastefully done and really important to the script. If you photograph me and the pictures are awesome, I'll display them on this site, thus earning you at least twelve dollars worth of free publicity. It should go without saying, also, that I cannot pay you for this service. However, getting the opportunity to work with me is like finding an Igloo cooler full of gold bars. I'm that much fun to be around.

------------------------------------------------

And... yeah. I guess that's it for the hodgepodge. I should get some crap done around the office, I suppose. Yo homes, smell ya later!

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guy from Bloc Party and two (?) guys from TV on the Radio.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Ack! Bloc Party! Damn, I knew I was forgetting someone kind of big. Thanks, yo. Tv On The Radio... I'm aware of them, but I've never actually listened to their stuff.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Benticore said...

"They play guitars and stuff, but they kind of sound like a hip-hop version of a college jam band that got peed on by Bootsy Collins."

I now have one wish and thats to travel back in time, back to college and JOIN THAT BAND! Sigh...

What about Fishbone?
The lead Singer of The Dears is black, though he's english and they're accents make us american black folk giggle uncontrollably.
Jada Smith is in a Punk Rock Band. I'll let you ponder that once you've stopped vomiting...

Benticore
Out

10:09 AM  
Blogger blythe said...

happy b-day gf!

10:32 AM  
Blogger i i eee said...

Happiest birthday to Girlfriend!

And dangit, I was going to mention Bloc Party.

I just might try out your soup. Sounds like something I could rock.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday GF. What about Living Colour are they not black enough?

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ5SVDYBNrY

11:30 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Benticore... Word on The Dears. I don't really remember if Fishbone fits or not; I do remember seeing them on SNL when I was kid and thinking they were weird.

Blythe... Rock on!

i i e ee... Totally try the soup. It's mad good and it takes like five minutes to make. Of course, you can tell people it takes forever and everyone will think you're awesome(er).

David... Living Colour totally counts. Haven't thought of them in a bajillion years.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!!!!

MANY MANY MORE!!!!!!!!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Are you sure that That One Guy from Blessed Union of Souls is not the same guy who was in Hootie?

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, GF! :D

Steve Ewing, lead singer of The Urge. But being that that's a St. Louis band, I wouldn't expect you to know them. He's the only one that immediately comes to mind. Did you already say the guy from Living Colour? With the mulitcolored braids?

Hmm... all I'm coming up with a bunch of guys who have soulful voices but are actually white.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Did anyone say Bad Brains yet? & you should check out TV on the Radio!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

PS--have a bangin' birthday, gf!
also, i enjoy hodgepodge.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

What about the violin player from The Dave Matthews Band and Morris Day and The Time?

Happy Birthday GF!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Oops, you said Bad Brains.
So my entry is: Josie & the Pussycats.
Fishbone is a very wacky band incorporating elements of ska, punk, and rock, but I think they do count for these purposes.
Once you start counting ska, though, there'd be many more brothers.
The Specials, just to name one.

Signed, Commenty Kane

2:28 PM  
Blogger C.R. III said...

Damn, I thought I was going to be all cool and nail the easy ones like Fishbone and Living Colour. I guess not.

Alright, why is it that I really like music by black artists, but when it's a black musician in a mainly white group (i.e. Hootie, Dave Matthews Band, et al.), it just makes me want to kill myself?

p.s. You had me on the soup until the stick of butter. Sounds a little too...buttery.

p.p.s. "Morris Day and the Time"? Nice!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Brooklyn... Yeah, one was Darrius Rucker and the other was some other guy. Who looked like Tyson Beckford, according to him.

Giggleloop... Daryl Hall, right?

Commenty Kane... I could never forget Bad Brains, if for no other reason than I used to work in a video store with a dude who was their biggest fan ever. I like them as much as anyone, but damn... he used to insist that we listen to Black Dots at 10am while we opened the store. Little to early for hardcore.

Todd... Morris Day! Yes, for sure, though he might be considered just a pube too Funk for this list. Still, he's Morris Day.

CR... You know, it's really not buttery at all. The butter just makes it creamy. Believe me, with that much tomato and basil in it, it ends up very fresh tasting instead of overwhelmingly dairy-ish.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Late to the game, but there's the Bellrays and The Brand New Heavies, although they lean towards more funk on most tracks.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

And would Eagle Eye Cherry count?

4:40 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Big Daddy... Girlfriend and I actually discussed Eagle Eye Cherry (this morning, actually) but we decided that he was a little too much of a one-hit wonder to count. Not that Blessed Union of Souls weren't, but I think they're still around. Eagle Eye Cherry will clear your plate if you're done with that.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C-dog: Definitely Daryl Hall... and Blood, Sweat and Tears. (were any of their members at any point non-white? I don't know for sure, but I don't think so)

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the birthday wishes, ladies and gents! Too bad I spent 12 hours in my school because of parent teacher meetings.

25 will be a good year, lovelies.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

"Don't you never say an unkind word about the Time! Me and Silent Bob modeled our whole fucking lives around Morris Day and Jerome. I'm a smooth pimp who loves the pussy. And Tubby here is my black man servant. What?!"

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone say Prince? Don't tell me that dude's not a rock star. He's the last of a special breed of rock star, and we need to take him in now before he joins all the rest of the elves in the boat to be taken off to the land of immortality or whatever.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Oh no, Prince totally counts. I didn't include him because he's so... Prince-like, I guess... that he's almost on another plane of existence. Worry not, though; ZFS! is all about his Purple Majesty.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For mentioning his name you are going to get your ass sued off by Prince the elf King.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Boyd Tinsley of the Dave Matthews Band?

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home