Monday, September 17, 2007

A Bit About The Emmys And Then We Can All Get On With Our Lives

-Ugh. Seriously. Why do I watch the Emmy Awards? All they do is make me mad, which in turn makes me the kind of guy who gets mad at awards shows, and believe me when I say that that's not the kind of guy I want to be. I'd like to think I have a little more going on in my life but, as it turns out, nope. Anyway, we all know at this point that the Emmys are basically bullshit and that the most deserving actors/writers/shows are rarely ever the ones handed a shiny gold statue, so I won't further beat that particular quite-dead horse. Let's just say that the Emmys are generally very lame, but will on occasion have a moment that makes the whole world smile. And by "the whole world," I of course mean "me." Ego!!!

-Of all the winners last night, there was exactly one (1) with which I was truly pleased. That would be Terry O'Quinn taking the trophy for Supporting Actor in a Drama for his work on LOST. He's been an epic badass on that show since the beginning and it's nice to see him rewarded for a performance that will long be remembered by the fans as a thing of pure awesome. Beyond that, there were an additional two (2) that I was okay with, but not enough to put down my sandwich or anything. Those would be Katherine Heigl winning for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama for her work on Grey's Anatomy (I don't watch the show, but she's way hot and was funny in Knocked Up), and 30 Rock winning for Best Comedy Series (It is very funny; maybe not The Office funny, but still...). Otherwise, I was completely non-plussed by everything and everyone else.

-Ryan Seacrest... (sigh)... Like, I don't think he did an awful job as host or anything but... I don't know... he just reminds me of... okay, you remember that part in Say Anything when Lloyd Dobler takes Diane Court to the big graduation party and she's all awkward and doesn't really know how to talk to people at first because she spent her entire high school career studying instead of making friends? THAT'S how Ryan Seacrest is as a host of anything. It's like he's spent so much time analyzing old tapes of Dick Clark, he forgot to work on growing any kind of personal charisma. As far as wet blankets go, he's certainly not the most moist, but he is plenty damp and that just doesn't make for engaging television.

-Steve Carell storming the stage and group-hugging with Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert may have been the funniest thing I've seen in at least two weeks. It was also the only moment of actual spontaneity in the entire show. Go figure.

-Was it just me, or did there seem to be an over-abundance of technical problems during the show, especially during the beginning? I mean, even considering that it was live and things do happen, it really came across to the audience (me) that the control booth had been manned by a bunch of drunk guys who hadn't technically ever run a broadcast before, but had had the whole thing explained to them by some dude in a bar who looked like he knew what was up.

-So yeah... the Emmys. Whatever, I guess. Carry on.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kathy griffin's censored speech was what made the emmy's come alive for me.

of course, i didn't watch the emmys...never have...but still. kathy griffin pwns. YES I SAID PWNS.

10:14 AM  
Blogger stew said...

I hated myself for watching, too, but not watching would've required doing something else and that wasn't going to happen.

How come no one figured out that having all the Sopranos come out and stand in a circle would be totally awesome if you could film it??? Instead of getting a really great look at all these cool people in a really inventively staged way, we got about four panicked far-away shots and then like five useless close-ups of Edie Falco's back.

I liked the Carrell thing. It was funny.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang I missed it.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Moxie... Totally love the Kathy Griffin. Getting censored for stuff like that only makes her more awesome.

Stew... The Emmys are like heroin, but not in the good way. They're like heroin in the sense that I know how horrible they are for me, yet and I can't resist them, even when I know that it's the road to ruin. Or something.

David... You missed nothing, believe me.

11:27 AM  
Blogger stew said...

ok, for real, stop shooting the Emmys into the veins between your toes.

For me, the Emmys are like the bean dip that you get in cans at the gas station, and in that they are also like heroin.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

But... but... Daddy needs his medicine!!! His sweet, sweet, Emmy medicine.

Also, god I could eat some bean dip right now.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Kim & Dic said...

they replayed steve carell this morning on the Today show, it was such a great moment, that guy is pure comedy, if only more actors could be as talented!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Ben K. said...

Red Sox/Yanks or Patriots/Chargers and you go with the Emmys? Questionable choice, Clinton. Questionable choice.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

NYCponds... Word to that. Love him, I do.

Kabak... Hey man, I've got to follow my heart. To be fair, though, I was flipping back and forth between the Pats/Chargers game and the Emmys. And I was bench-pressing like 500 pounds. And workin' on a Chevy. Because I'm totally butch, you see. Grrr. Meat and so forth.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh god. bean dip. nom nom nom nom.

12:55 PM  
Blogger stew said...

ok! we know what the Emmys need next year: bean dip and heroin! Oh and Steve Carrell! Hollywood, you've been notified!

Except we're all going to watch it anyway again and it's going to suck again and we're losers again.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will preface this by admitting that the only nominated shows I ever regularly watch are The Office, Grey's (stupid ex-girlfriend), and The Daily Show/Colbert Report.

I was surprised by the lack of love for The Office. Rainn Wilson, Jenna Fischer, and Steve Carrell deserve better. Piven is the only worthwile part of Entourage but Rainn Wilson is genius. I honestly don't remember who beat Jenna Fischer but I do know they suck. Steve Carrell and Alec Baldwin (don't like his political or parenting views... but funny) should trade that award back forth for the forseeable future.

Katherine Heigl is hot, Seacrest is a douche, Carrell/Stewart/Colbert are genuis, Ugly Betty... enough already, Christina Aguilera... nice pregnancy boobies, Joely Fisher... shockingly nice rack, Stewie and Brian should have hosted the entire show, and Tony Bennett???? Fair enough.

That's all I got.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Scott... Yeah, that about sums it up. I forgot to mention that The Office got the Royal Boning this year; Jenna Fischer I can *kinda* understand not winning (I love her, but her stuff's so subtle, I could see people not getting it), but Rainn Wilson not winning is TOTAL bullshit.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Cray said...

I'm more of a fan of the Latin Grammys....

2:52 PM  
Blogger stew said...

I say we all switch and watch, like, the People's Choice instead. Or the Nickelodeon Awards.

That'll learn em.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home