Thursday, July 26, 2007

How I Waste My Talents

I don't mean to brag, but I'm ridiculously talented. In many areas, understand... I'm not just, say, a master of the art of ice sculpting (though make no mistake, I could carve from a single block of ice a sculpture of the monster from Alien that is so life-like, you'd shit yourself twice and then die from a blown brain). No, my talents range across a broad spectrum of skills and in each individual area, there is no better than I. Sadly, though, and as you may have gathered from the title of this post, I've let all of these talents (these many talents) go to waste. Let's go through them one by one; let me show you how I'm depriving the world of it's greatest natural resource: Me.

How I Waste My Talents: A Tragic List

My Ability To Dance - Though you wouldn't think it by looking at me, I move with the grace of a lithe, 20-year-old girl made entirely of liquid mercury that's had a lifetime of training at the hands of a Nureyev, or a Nijinsky, or a Hammer. It's true; you know that Savion Glover guy who does all the tap dancing? Yeah, he got all his moves from me. In fact, it was me who said, "Hey Savion, with all those moves I taught you, you're certainly bringin' in the funk, as well as bringin' in the noise." The rest is Broadway history. And while he's gone on to fame and fortune (or as much fame and fortune as one can get by tap-dancing, which, granted, isn't just a whole lot), I've let my talents lie fallow, content to only use my shocking flexibility and sure sense of footwork to carry me back and forth between the couch and the fridge. No one's ever looked smoother while getting a beer, but that's cold comfort when you consider that I should be performing modern jazz routines for royalty.

My Ability To Draw - I used to date an artist and, as I think we all know, artists only date other people who have comparable or (in my case) amazingly superior talent artistic abilities. Need further proof? Well, then... here's the best picture you've ever seen of a fat assed skeleton wearing a top hat and holding aloft a bowl of guacamole:
I know, right? Simply amazing. And yet, I've never even attempted to get my work displayed in an ultra-hip SoHo gallery, or even in the Louvre. It's a shame, really, because my artwork has the power to cure cancer and, on two separate occasions, entirely heal bullet wounds.
My Ability To Write - Currently on my laptop, I've got a play that's about 3/4ths of the way done. To put it mildly, it's the best play ever written and, were it actually to be produced, it would make Shakespeare's immortal classic, Hamlet, look like a bucket of diarrhea. But I avoid working on it. I read it and re-read it, basking in it's glory, but I stubbornly refuse to tack on the ending that would make it whole and solidify it's place in history as not only the greatest achievement in ever in the realm of theater, but as the greatest thing ever. Why do I do this? Hm... dunno... probably because The Discovery Channel show's a lot of Mythbusters and those guys blow shit up amazingly well. (I'll give you a taste, though: The play's about me and how I'm awesome; it's four hours long, has twenty musical numbers, and more explicit nudity than your average Shannon Tweed film)
My Ability To Sing - If you're ever in a karaoke bar in the East Village and you hear a clear, strong voice penetrating the night with one of Journey's greatest hits, yeah, that would be me. You'll think to yourself, "Why, that man should be selling out large, domed amphitheaters and headlining tours for popular charities. He should have Grammy's raining down upon him, that handsome, pleasant-smelling man over there." Sadly, I'll never get farther than said karaoke bar. Because I'm just too lazy to play the record company's game, not to mention the fact that they won't let you record albums while lying in bed eating Cheez-Its. Because they're bastards.
My Ability To Compose Long-Winded Blog Posts That You've Already Stopped Reading - Well obviously I don't waste all my talents.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot your ability to imbibe massive quantities of alcohol that would kill a herd of elephants and yet you have managed to reach the ripe old age of 27. That one my friend you have exceeded and excelled at like no other before you.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Ross said...

I like that you don't use your many talents to support the status quo. You are more about being a true individual. Fight the power!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you're ever in a karaoke bar in the East Village and you hear a clear, strong voice penetrating the night with one of Journey's greatest hits

I had a feeling that was you singing a fantastic rendition of Wheel in the Sky last week.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget about your incredible ability to style hair. People need to know that you were the one who styled this wonderful do.

Also, I showed this piece to my boss and he asked that I contact you about doing a solo show just about stick figures. So please, give me a call.

9:45 AM  
Blogger stew said...

that is seriously the best fat-assed skeleton pic I've seen in a long time, but honest to golly, if you don't write a book, I will kick a puppy. You are the best person of writer things ever and this is what you must do because the world needs it. after your stick-figure one man show, get RIGHT back to that play.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

David... True, true. That's more of a skill than a talent, really. I had to put in a lot of long, hard hours to get where I am today with regards to drinking. Also, I said, "long and hard." Heh.

Ross... Fighting the power is also a talent I have.

Midwesterner... Totally me, you're right. I'm usually more of a "Don't Stop Believin'" kind of guy, but that night I wanted to mix it up a bit.

Gal Gotham... Hm... I dunno... I mean, I know I SHOULD show my art, but that seems like a lot of work. Unless there's going to be free cheese and wine there. Then I'm all in. AND I'll be bringing Tupperware.

Stewpid... Aw, you're sweet. Know that I am, in fact, working on it and I hope to have my play produced real soon. Though I don't know where I'm going to find a guy as good looking as me to play the lead. Because fuck knows I'm too lazy to do it.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I envision you as a part of the Family Guy scene where they've rebuilt the bar after a montage, and in order to get people in, they start singing Don't Stop Believin. Cartoon Clinton would be funny, and clearly you are talented enough to draw him yourself. Sadly, you probably never will.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Cartoon Clinton IS funny: See

11:24 AM  
Blogger blythe said...

hold on to that feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelin' because none of my friends will karaoke with me. you are lucky.

i am talented at getting wasted. zing! (saw that one coming all the way from OK, huh.)

12:39 PM  
Blogger dmbmeg said...

dude, you just said "penetrating" on your blog.

12:53 PM  
Blogger stew said...

do they make a tupperware for wine????

12:57 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I only read the headline, looked at the funny drawing then skipped to the last sentence. What did I miss?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

brilliant... radiant... stupendous... ravishing...

these are all words that I use to describe your art. I enjoy how you decided to expose a side of skeleton cutlture we've never seen... the obese ones. I've been raised with the notion that only skinny, thin, anorexic skeletons existed and to be honest, it kind of made me self concious.
Thanks for doing great work for humanity.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

You forgot about your other talent of being able to fix anything around the house.

And how when you use stuff, it never breaks.

I am so getting that skeleton as my next tattoo.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Oh, and you could name him Skell A-Ton.

Get it?

Hee hee.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Jonathan T said...

Mentioning Nureyev, Nikinsky (which I first read as Ninja), and Please-Hammer-Don't-Hurt-Em all in one sentence is truly a gift.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd like to thank you for such a terrific made forum!
thought this would be a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Robin Toby
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/wizard-of-oz-party-supplies.html]wizard of oz Party Supplies[/url].

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clatlyhaits, clomid online astoriaincuri, [url=http://www.webjam.com/clomidonline]buy clomid[/url] AsteraAssuh
23

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home