Sunday, July 22, 2007

Tammy Faye Messner: Dead



After a long bout with colon cancer, Tammy Faye Messner (formerly Tammy Faye Baker, of "Jim and Tammy Faye" religious craziness fame), has died at age 65. It's always sad when a gay camp icon passes; drag queens from San Fransisco to the West Village are in mourning today, their darkest frocks donned, their rouge applied thickly(-er) in tribute, their mascara at half-mast.

Seriously, though, despite all the wacky, weepy, Jesus-y stuff from her early days, she seemed like a pretty cool, tough lady towards the end. If you haven't seen The Eyes Of Tammy Faye, I highly recommend it. It irrefutably proves that, with regards to her own existence, persona, etc., she really "got the joke."

More details here, though what else could you possibly need to know after the above example of Pulitzer Prize-worthy journalism.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kitty said...

Awww...I was scared when I saw the post title that you'd be making fun of her...I agree with you, I strangely admired her in the last few years.

Sad to hear she won't be around for another Surreal Life All-Stars! Remember when Ponch gave up the single bedroom so she wouldn't have to bunk up?

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder how big of a bouquet the revlon company will be sending her way?

6:21 PM  
Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

Oh my god, I spent last night watching her interview with Larry King from the other night, blubbering. Blubbering like a baby. She was just such a nice lady, and her second husband seemed like he adored her, and her son seems like a really nice kid too. This is the saddest ever.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Mr. Shain said...

i won't mention the fact that i totally beat you to the tammy faye tribute... woops, i just did.

i was lucky enough to see "the eyes of tammy faye" in the theatre in west hollywood. the scene where she tries to get into the boat while filming at PTL... brilliant.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Yeah, after seeing The Eyes of Tammy Faye, I felt really bad for her. She was sweet and had a hard life. RIP, TFB.
Oh yeah, and Mr. Shain, I loved that boat part too...I'll have what she's having!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Ross said...

Tammy Fae was raised in International Falls, MN and went to high school with my aunt.

She did not come back for the all-school reunion.

I have a brush with fame!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Yah, I wish more religious types were as 'live as let live' as her.

5:27 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

OMG!!!


How did I NOT know about this.

I miss out on so much when my band Sister Kisser®™©™ is on the road.

RIP.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home