Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Restaurant Week, Pt. 2, or, "The Dud"

So, last night was our second excursion into the heart of NYC's Restaurant Week. It was, in a word, lame. In a few more words, it was a giant, swirling maelstrom of mediocrity that left us shattered and broken, alone and lost, casting our eyes towards the heavens and asking of a cruel, uncaring God, "Why, Lord... WHY???"

Okay, maybe that's overstating it a bit. But it wasn't good.

The restaurant that we went to was called Marseille and I get the impression that, were we to go there and order off the regular menu, perhaps while having a bottle of wine or a few drinks, we'd probably have a fine meal and a lovely time. However, since that wasn't the case... since we were there to participate in the Restaurant Week prix fixe menu... we were immediately awarded lower-class status, in both the qualities of the food and the service. Let me put it to you this way: if Marseille had been the Titanic, we'd have been down with the Irish dancing jigs from the old country and then drowning because there weren't enough lifeboats.

The service was just abysmal. We barely saw our waiter; as soon as he got wind of our Restaurant Week odor, he pretty much disappeared. And when we did see him, there was definitely some 'tude. I mean, he didn't try to pee on us or anything, but still... we were not his favorite table, that much was clear. Also, we were seated off in a corner, next to the restaurant's side exit. It's heavily trafficked side exit, I should say; every few minutes, the door would open and we'd get a nice blast of cold air from outside. Totally awesome conditions for dining, for sure. In general, the joint's ambiance left a lot to be desired; noisy, cramped, and hurried. Girlfriend likened it to the sort of atmosphere you'd find inside an Applebee's and that pretty much tells you all you need to know.

But what of the chow, C-dog? All the sins in the world can be washed away with a good plate of delicious deliciousness! True, and that would have a gone a long way to making last night thumbs-up worthy. Sadly... woefully... it wasn't to be. The cooks somehow managed to pluck the word "meh" out of the air and rub it all over our food before they served it to us, particularly where the main courses were concerned. Girlfriend had a crispy skate wing that was okay, but it had a ton of unnecessary crap on it... a variety of sauces, garnishes, and somewhat-cooked vegetables that made the whole dish confusing. I had scallops with cabbage in a bacon sauce which sounds great, in theory, but in application was waaaaaaay too rich; I felt like I was eating a block of butter that had been rolled in salt and, truthfully, that's what I'd had for lunch. And for desert, we had the first thing in all of our Restaurant Week dealings that was totally inedible... Girlfriend's bread pudding. Dry, bland, and as unmemorable as a tiny fart first thing in the morning. Even with my help, she wasn't able to finish it. Believe me, it was heartbreaking. No really, I cried a little.

Basically, I guess, we just felt like the restaurant didn't care. Which begs the question, why do Restaurant Week in the first place if you're just going to treat the people who show up to participate like crap? Seems kinda counter-productive, to me. Then again, what do I know... I'm sleeping down in steerage with the goats.

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I honestly think restaurant week is the biggest scam. You get this special menu that half the time people just skip and order off the real menu.

And even if one does order off the $35 menu. When do I ever spend $35 on a meal even at a nice place? I get it, you get a sliver of something for dessert that is the size of a pee but is splattered with so much chocolate sauce to make it look like a lot.

After drinks and tip my my portion alone is usually around $70. If I would have skipped the $35 menu and ordered a regular meal my portion would have been more like $50. How is this a deal?

And yes, you are correct.... when you order off the "special" menu they do look down upon you.

Down with Restaurant week I say!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

You're right about some places for sure, but the thing is... sometimes, it's awesome. Like last week when we went to Aquavit. Their portions were huge, everything was delicious, and the waiter that we had totally kicked ass. It just depends on the restaurant, I guess... some places are cool about it and some places aren't.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well Maybe I do not feel like playing their game of Restaurant Roulette...... "Check Please!!!!" (in best Jim Carrey voice)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

To paraphrase Bobby Brown, that's your prerogative. We like it because when it's good, it's REALLY GOOD. It's a bummer when it's bad, but that's risk you take.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Cray said...

I believe Stubbs(tm)(C)[TVMA] now sells a "Meh" BBBQ Rub.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The cooks somehow managed to pluck the word "meh" out of the air and rub it all over our food before they served it to us."

Descriptions like that are what keep me coming back to your blog, C-Dog. Well played. :)

12:50 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Cray... I'd get that but, you know, meh.

Giggleloop... Thanks, yo! It's the only way I know how to get the attention I so desperately crave.

1:21 PM  
Blogger DrunkBrunch said...

Which begs the question, why do Restaurant Week in the first place if you're just going to treat the people who show up to participate like crap?

Good point.

I did a Broadway opening night party once at Marseilles. Some actor from Sex and the City was there and he touched my leg. That's really the only reason I remember that restaurant fondly.

Next time try Rosa Mexicano. Sufficient portions and very tasty!

5:25 PM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

"the cooks somehow managed to pluck the word meh out of the air and rub it all over our food" is my favoritest quote EVER.

Sorry Marseille was such a dud. I have always had luck with Tabla during Resto Week, been at least once a year and it never, ever disappoints.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Drunkbrunch and Cheese... Good suggestions, both. When the time comes around again, those will be moved to the top of the list. Y'alls the best!

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home