Thursday, January 24, 2008

I Wish I Was In A 70s Rock Band

Because back then, you could be a lead singer no matter what, even if you looked like the kind of guy who sold speakers out the back of a van. And, if you wanted to, you could have Glam Dracula play circus calliope music on an electric organ during a live TV performance:



Or you could wear elaborate Native American headdresses but have your lead singer dress up like he was from outer space, all while singing a song with a chorus that's the national anthem from a small country in Nonsense-land:



Or you could just say "fuck it" and get so high that you think you're a romantic millionaire despite the fact that you dress like the Cowboy King of Garbage:



Now, being in a rock band is all about updating your MySpace page and being serious about wearing eyeliner and buying a solid gold car that's so expensive, it doesn't exist yet. Man, I wish I could travel back in time. And spontaneously gain musical talent. And grow a bitchin' mustache. Why does nothing ever go my way?

4 Comments:

Blogger Hex said...

Oh man, love me some Dr. Hook. He's kind of a whacko -- but he writes good songs.

As for the spiderweb dude, can you believe that's 3 Dog Night? I mean seriously -- does he leave that getup on when they do "Joy to the World?"

8:57 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I've totally been on a Dr. Hook binge lately... although, and I just learned this myself, did you know that there isn't an actual "Dr. Hook." Everyone always assumed that it's the dude with the eyepatch, but it's not... Dr. Hook was just what they decided to call themselves.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Hex said...

See, I have a problem when bands do this. The J. Geils Band try to pull this crap on me in back the 80's -- when the lead singer was all like, "no, J. Geils is actually the guitar player -- my name is.."

Too late bobbo, You're J. Geils now. Deal with it.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Agreed. That just seems kind of needlessly confusing... it's like how Iron & Wine or The Mountain Goats are both just one guy.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home