Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Reality Of Cooking

Reality shows, as a general rule, don't really do it for me. Which is not to say that I think I'm better than reality shows; I believe it was Socrates who said, "He who has a deep, unabiding love for the early films of Adam Sandler shouldn't throw stones, entertainment-wise." Wise words, truly. No, it's not that I find reality shows beneath me... it's actually that I find them, for the most part, boring.

Who's the best at being a tall, thin girl with no discernible personality? What happens when we switch two families' Moms around (besides fucking up their kids for life, of course)? Don't you find it shocking that, after we put a bunch viciously egocentric, Type-A personalities in a house together, all they did was fight and screw???

Meh. Who cares? I mean, I get it... it's cathartic and funny to see a bunch of jerkwads slam into each other (naked or otherwise), and there's nothing wrong with watching a show that, at it's end, leaves you with a feeling of moral superiority because even though you may be a bit of a mess, at least you're not like those assholes. That's fine. To me, though, that gets old. This, I suppose, could be contributed to the fact that I walk around all the time with a hyper-inflated feeling of moral superiority and that I'm always grateful that I'm not like that asshole, or that asshole, or really any of the millions of assholes that make up our great and mighty species (it should be noted that, in addition to humans, I also feel superior to walruses, geese and dairy cows). Come to think of it, this, shall we say, "over-abundance" of self-worth probably makes me the perfect candidate to be a contestant on a reality show. Sadly I'll never get the chance to walk the halls of the Big Brother house because, quite frankly, I'm closer in physical appearance to one of the squatter, hairier citizens of Middle Earth than anything else. My chunky butt doesn't exactly translate into ratings gold.

But I digress.

My point is that, generally, I don't like reality shows (which I guess I could have just said flat-out, as opposed to talking around the issue like a White House Press Secretary). There is, however, an exception to that rule and it's this: Reality shows that are cooking-themed. Specifically, Top Chef and Hell's Kitchen; two shows that, while both set in kitchens, are about as different as The Beatles and a crazy, homeless guy that plays guitar under a bridge for spare change. And yet I love them both equally, just as I love The Beatles and that crazy homeless guy, whom as of today is Girlfriend and I's new roommate. Should probably tell her about that before she gets home and finds him rinsing out his socks in our toilet....

Anyway, the shows:

TOP CHEF

Mostly class, particularly when you're talking about the first season. Their rep as one of the least trashy reality shows in existence was tarnished a bit in season two, thanks largely to most of the cast turning into mean, hateful bullies halfway through it's run. Still, as far as the actual competition is concerned, it's all high-level drama. The challenges are creative and a true reflection of the contestant's abilities, the judging is fair and thoughtful, and the host, Padma Lakshmi, is interesting and engaging, if for no other reason than she until recently was bunking down with Salman Rushdie. It is, in short, everything a reality show should strive for, save for one exception: It lacks a lot of the catharsis, the schadenfreude if you will, of it's fellow, similarly-inclined programing. Which brings us to...

HELL'S KITCHEN

Mostly catharsis, with almost zero class. Which is great, actually, thanks in large part to the man on the left in the picture above: Gordon Ramsay. God, I love this man. He's everything I want to be as far as macho arrogance is concerned. Most people think he's this awful, evil monster who's sole mission for this show, as well as for life, is to torment his charges before breaking them over his knee. That's wrong. It's more that he is, like a lot of chefs, a psychotic perfectionist who's used to working in a classy, three-start dining establishment where everything is done correctly and with speed and skill. When things aren't done correctly, it's like a slap in his face; an ultimate disrespect. Now, because this is very much not Top Chef, the producers have intentionally loaded the deck, as it were, with a collection of knuckle-headed fuck-ups that seem to be mathematically engineered to illicit from Ramsay exactly one reaction: a volcanic meltdown. And it is goooood. The man, honestly, and to paraphrase A Christmas Story, works in swears the way other men work in oils. Watching him rip into a lazy, petulant contestant who you yourself would like to hit repeatedly with a ladle is satisfying in ways that sex with the partner of your choice could never be, and I say this with absolutely no shame.

So, yes... reality shows: Bad. Cooking-themed reality shows: Excellent at both ends of the spectrum. I'm glad we had this chat because, quite frankly, it's been a long time coming.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try out for my next hit series reality show, Clinton:

America's Next Top SuperChef®™©™

10:17 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

i just started watching top chef, and you're right it is pretty good!

question though: Gordon Ramsay is used to working in a three-start dining establishment? I feel like three stars isn't that amazing... i could be wrong, in fact i have no idea so i probably am :)

just sayin!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Tyra... I'm there!

Irish Or Jew... Three-star is actually a big deal. The rating system only goes to Four-star and it's brutally tough to get there; there's only like 20 or so four-star restaurants IN THE WORLD. Oooh!!! This is all according to the Michelan Guide, which means something to some people.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

Oh really!! So what is Denny's rating do you think?

-J

10:45 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

...Or McDonald's®™©™?!

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hells Kitchen is the only reality show I have ever watched and I missed the first season. If you are interested read http://thecandidtruth.blogspot.com/2007/06/hells-kitchen.html for a little insight on why I think this is a great show.
If I am not allowed to flog a blog sorry.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jew & Lioux... Both Denny's and Mcdonald's are, I believe, so low down on the rating that you can't use "stars" as a unit of measurement. You have to use either blue moons, pink hearts, or green clovers.

David... Will read, thanks! And, seriously, flogging blogs is perfectly acceptable. Even more so if you can find a way to send me liquor over the internet.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop looking at me swan!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I didn't realize there was more than one of those shows (other than...what's that awesome Japanese one called...Honorable Food Challenge or something) but now I know the difference.

Speaking of gourmet cooking, I used my '70s Fry Daddy® last night!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

I've worked for plenty of Gordon Ramsey's in my day.

Blegh.

Will never work restaurants again.

But seriously, risotto is hard to make perfect.

But hashbrowns?

Even I can make hasbrowns.

[For those who didn't watch last night's Hell's, there was one chick who couldn't make hasbrowns].

11:57 AM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Iron Chef!

I love that show.

They once made salmon ice cream on there.

11:59 AM  
Blogger blythe said...

i feel like i'm cheating when i watch reality food shows since my first love is the food network and iron chef. i guess it's kind of passe now. plus, gordon ramsey is a poor man's mario batali.

12:19 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

i'm sold on both shows..and lost because my cheap ass landlord won't add bravo, a&e or other basic cable needs to my cable.

i missed gordon monday... who's salad was tossed?

the jarhead is a trained chef..(and he joins the marines!). he said gordon is his kind of chef. train them, train them right. marine bootcamp for chefs.

i love this show. i love his uk shows even more. they don't bleep him.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Kim & Dic said...

i hate cooking shows..

that is all for today

~grumpy

12:34 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Colleen... Oooh, Fry-Daddy food! My uncle has one of those and makes this fried fish that would knock you dead. Mainly because it clogs your heart up instantly. Still, quite good.

Big Daddy... I totally saw that salmon ice cream episode! Ick. Also, seriously, who can't make hashbrowns?

Blythe... Yes, but does Mario Batali scream at people and call them "donkeys?" Nope. Fun fact: Batali used to work for Ramsay a long time ago and they hate each other now. Or so I hear.

Quin... Oh, one of them that sucked. I don't remember names, as that's not why I tune in. Also, a son that's a Marine and a cook... nicely done in the genes department.

Grumpy... Cooking shows just called and said that they love you and wish you wouldn't be so mean.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do you get his UK shows? Is there an underground network for reality shows from around the world?

1:55 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

BBC-America, my friend. In other words, cable. Or you can fly to England every night and watch TV at a pub, which is what I do.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess I need to watch more TV and get drunk.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You call that a bisque?!!

Out of my kitchen you stupid f*+%n' DONKEY!!

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would so cheat on my boyfriend with Gordon Ramsey. He's so nice and suave when he isn't shouting at people. His creative and spicy cursing always makes me giggle.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home