Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Handy Man

Admitting this is hard.

It goes against everything in my manly, macho nature. Such as it is. I've copped to a love of musical theater so many times on this blog, I'm sure you all at this point can only imagine me in a pretty, pretty party dress as I sit here and type these words. But you're wrong; I'm wearing a tasteful pant suit that I bought at Marshall's during their Spring-tacular Savings Sale and it looks simply divine!!!

Um... It's very slimming. And it's a dramatic navy blue...

Look, the point I'm trying to make is that, despite the fact that the first CD I ever bought was the original cast recording of A Chorus Line (God, how I wish that weren't true), I do have a butch side to my personality and at the moment, that butchness is in serious jeopardy.

See, here's the thing: I'm not handy. Like, at all. I mean, I know what a hammer is and I'm reasonably sure that I know what to do with it (you use it with nails, or something), but beyond that I'm pretty much at a loss. Usually, this isn't something that bothers me; I live in New York, after all, and am rarely called on to help someone, say, build a deck. Unfortunately, things have changed. No, not in the deck-building department, although seriously, I shouldn't talk about deck-building too much or Girlfriend will decide that that's just what we need to liven up our fourth-floor apartment.

And then she'll build one. All by herself.

Because, and this is where the problem lies, Girlfriend is handy. Crazy handy. She's master carpenter Norm Abram, but with long, curly hair and an excellent rack. There is nothing more humiliating, more emasculating, more damaging to the male ego, than having your girlfriend take the screwdriver out of your hand and say, sweetly, so as not to hurt your feelings, "No honey, you're doing that wrong." And that sort of thing happens a lot around our apartment. And the thing that really sucks is, she's right to take tools away from me. Chances are, I'm going to hurt myself with them. Or destroy whatever it is I'm working on. There's even a good chance that I'll use the wrench and the assorted nuts and bolts I've got to accidentally trigger an international incident which will ultimately be the tipping point for World War III; I'm that bad with tools.

Frankly, I don't know how it got this way. I come from a family of extremely handy men. Both my grandfathers are/were quite manly; one owns a ranch and the other, before he died, was a construction foreman for 45 years. All my uncles are Toolbox Heroes, particularly my Uncle Steve, whom I'm fairly certain could tear down a couple of houses, then use the resulting pile of parts to build an entirely new house that was ten times better than the original two houses and also smells wonderfully of cured meats and aftershave. Maybe that's the problem, actually; maybe there was so much manly, tool-savviness in my bloodline that the eventual recessive gene had to be spat out into someone and that someone was me.

Whenever there were home improvement jobs to be done amongst our clan, everyone would gather to help (not like we're Amish or anything; we're just generally a tight family that enjoys hanging out together) and a child would be picked to be the official Helper To The Adults. I was never picked. Ever. That vaunted title always went to my Cousin Jack, who's a year older. Now, granted, Jack earned that title; he is, of course, extremely handy and were I charged with helping the adults, we'd probably be shy a few Uncles by now. Or, at the very least, the Uncles would be shy a few fingers because I wouldn't remember to hand them the saw handle-first. So, because of this, I was always "the reader." The "indoor kid," if you will. While all the men in my family were out repairing garages and building to-scale models of famous whaling ships (I assume that's what they were doing; I don't really know), I was always inside. With the women. Which was where the food was, so that was okay, but still...

Girlfriend, on the other hand, had a father that was a landlord who did all his own repairs. She grew up being taught the mystic ways of the Handyman, and consequently, she's... well, you can read the Norm Abram analogy I made a few paragraphs up again if you haven't caught my drift yet.

Anyway, I bring all of this up because last night Girlfriend and I attempted to hang a new window shade in our living room and it was a bit of an ordeal and after and hour or so of us working on it together, I was asked to please go try to put the new lamp together before one us beats the other to death with a hammer (I'll let you guess which one of us would've been doing the beating). It sucked, not just because it's lame to have your weakness called out, but also because I know she's right to get flustered with me about this sort of thing.

I'm not handy and, therefore, I kinda suck.

I do look damn good in this pant suit, though, and nothing will ever take that away from me.

17 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

You are being way too hard on yourself. the notion that men should be handy but women shouldn't is as outdated as the idea that the little misses truly WANTS a new vacuum cleaner for an anniversary gift. Of course, I'm really handy so its easy for me to make that comment.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yesterday it was the Hidenburg, today it's Tom Poston who died last week. Your killing me with the sad references, I am starting to miss your heroin phase. Tomorrow may I suggest just a youtube clip of the "want to have a catch" scene from Field of Dreams?

9:43 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jeff... Nice. Real nice. Flaunting your handiness in front of the handiness-lacking like a big shot. Are you going to go tap dance in front of a legless begger next? And if so, could you get it on tape?

Midwesterner... Sorry, sorry. Look, I'll scrap the plans I had to write an epic, three-post essay on the friendship of Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers. Will that help? Also, I'll do some heroin.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kitty said...

My husband is super-unhandy. I think things even break simply when he walks by them. Once, before we got married, he was complaining to his Mom that I had been bugging him to hang the magnetic rack for my new Wusthof knives, and she said to him, in all seriousness, "but doesn't she realize she's marrying a Jew?".

We now have not one, but two 'handyman for hire' business cards on our fridge. I did once attach a dimmer switch to a light fixture all by myself once, but I am sure Jeff taught me how.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

look, just go back to the kitchen where you belong, and maybe your girlfriend will make you a spice rack :)

On a serious note, the original cast recording of Chorus Line is fantastic. I own it too!


-Jew

10:26 AM  
Blogger Braden said...

Last week in the new apartment, I put up a towel rack.

On the wall.

Screws were employed.

For me, someone who would rather fight a werewolf dressed as Darth Vader than spend more than fifteen minutes in Home Depot, this was a major accomplishment. This was my "David".

(Incidentally, have you tried these newly fangled "screw-guns"? America, you're screwing smarter, not harder!)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I Love, Love, Love handy men! (to take a phrase from Lioux)
But as a gal who grew up helping her dad refinish the basement while her brother was off GI Joe-in' or something, I L,L,L, learning to be handy too! I want an old fixer-upper house that needs lots of improvements. It'd be SUCH a great, satisfying, ongoing procrastination project!

10:41 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

The only screwdriver I should be handling would be served in a glass with ice.

[rimshot].

11:26 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Kitty... See, and it sucks because I don't even have an ethno-religious stereotype to fall back on. I'm a strapping(ish) Southern lad who should by all rights be able to handle this sort of thing.

Jew... Isn't it just?! "Every day, for a week I would try to BEEEE a sports car, BEEEE a phone booth... ice cream cone..."

Braden... Home Depot? Screw Guns? Towels? You lost me, dude.

Colleen... Hrm. Handy guys get all the chicks. Unless the chicks are handy themselves. Then they end up with total spazzes like me.

Lioux... Make mine a double!

12:19 PM  
Blogger The Cajun Boy said...

RIP tom poston. i loved him on those newhart shows.

ps...i love musicals too. shhhhhhh!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Yeah, I can still remember watching Newhart as a kid. Doubt I "got it," but still.

PS... you're secret's safe with me, dude.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clint, you did a lovely job on the lamp, though. It looks charming!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Thanks, babe. I do what I can with my limited skills.

5:01 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

my dad and granddad could build anything. dad even did cane weaving and made stain glass stuff. my brother builds stuff without blueprints, and works in the film industry as a tech, and builds what he needs when he has to rig up something a director needs but, has never been made before. i work in theater...on the non building tech side. once, they needed help on a long build, so, they gave me a power drill.

yeah.

once.

so, how's that lamp coming along?

5:35 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Being handy isn't that hard. Oh wait, come to think of it, I had to learn on my own.

My dad was absent as a kid, so my mom would make me and my bro do all the handy-man stuff around the house.

I think I was 9 when I changed and rewired my first light fixture.

Actually, maybe my mom was trying to 'off' me to get insurance money [!].

I don't know if I would let my kid be playing around with breakers at age 9.

Didn't you have to take shop classes in school?

5:51 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Quin... The lamp looks fantastic and has yet to burn down our apartment with an electrical fire. In other words, it's the best thing I've ever made.

Big Daddy... We had the option of taking Shop or Home Ec when I was in high school. I took (to the suprise of no one) Home Ec. It did, in my defense, have more to do with the fact that I was trying to put the moves on a girl that was also taking Home Ec at the time and, it should also be noted, that I was entirely successful in that venture. Because I am damn smooth.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Wow. We had to take 'woods', 'metals' and home ec.

Maybe it's a Texas thing?

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home