Friday, May 04, 2007

Our Brush With... DANGER!!!

Alright, so last night, Girlfriend and I were out for an evening walk. We often do this because we're healthy, activity-minded people who care deeply about getting the proper amount of exercise in our daily lives and, also, there's a really great place to buy cupcakes about twenty blocks South of our apartment. Our jaunt started off pleasantly enough. There was a cool breeze flowing around us, the conversation we were having sparkled with effervescent wit and wise... er... wisdom, I had a mild buzz from the quantity of rum I'd consumed earlier in the evening; it was all the makings one needs for a memorable Springtime stroll.

But there was one ingredient we hadn't counted on... DANGER!!!

After stopping at the cupcake place (Little Cupcake, on 3rd ave; if you're ever in Bay Ridge, do stop by because seriously, yum) we turned around and made our way towards home. Little did we know that we were also making our way towards... DANGER!!!

You know, it's funny how, in the blink of an eye, your life can change. One minute, you're walking arm and arm with the girl you love, enjoying a White Chocolate Lemon Bar from a charming bakeshop and laughing gaily about this and that without a care in the world. And then suddenly, in the next minute, you've stepped out into the crosswalk of an intersection, and even though you're following all the major rules of pedestrian traffic, you nonetheless find yourself staring down the grill of a delivery van driven by... DANGER!!!

Sorry, I'll stop doing that.

But, yes, in the middle of that fated intersection, Girlfriend and I very nearly met our untimely end. We'd made it about halfway across the street when, from off to our left, a white delivery van rounded the corner and began it's vicious course right towards us. As a helpful visual aid, I've drawn an elaborately detailed, gallery-quality sketch of the scene as it played out:



Horrifying, I know. Because Girlfriend and I are both blessed with the reflexes of a jungle cat that's been mixed with an Old West gunfighter who's also a ninja, we were able to leap out of the way just in the nick of time. I turned towards the van, a torrent of cutting expletives erupting from my strong, manly mouth, and I locked eyes with the serial killer (I assume) that was driving the van. His face was a patchwork of scars and lesions and also it was covered in blood. His eyes rolled around in his skull like the fortune-telling device in a Magic 8-Ball. He had a dagger clenched between his rotted, pointy teeth. My swear words did nothing to penetrate his mask of insanity. Thus, I had but one recourse. It wasn't something I wanted to do, you must know this. It was my only option.

As the van drove out the intersection... please forgive me... I hurled the remainder of the White Chocolate Lemon Bar at it's left rear quarter-panel. That the van burst into a hellish fireball and flipped up in the air like an expertly tossed pizza dough was inevitable. I wasn't prepared, however, for the driver to emerge all God-like from the wreckage with his rippling muscles and arms made of swords taunting me into battle.

It's all a bit hazy and entirely fictional, but I'm certain that I was the victor.

So that was my evening. What'd everyone else get up to? Something fun, I hope!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me guess.. you're the dot on the left? So as to shield Girlfriend from ... DANGER!

White chocolate lemon bar... that sounds so good right now.

10:05 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Wait.

You gave up your White Chocolate Lemon Bar just because you were in a little...DANGER!!!

Seriously though. YOU DO HAVE A CONTINGENCY PLAN FOR ZFS!.blogspot.com in case you are ever incapacitated from being in ...DANGER!!!, don't you?!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Giggleloop... Yeah, that's totally me on the left. I'm Girlfriend's all-purpose traffic shield. Also, honestly, the White Chocolate Lemon Bar could have been better. Not the best creation from Little Cupcake.

Lioux... In the event of my death, all control of ZFS! is turned over to the board of directors for Cobblerdogs Inc.

10:17 AM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

I cannot believe you wasted pastry on that asshole in the van.

PS Little Cupcake Shop rules. I go there like, 3x a week. And I wonder why I'm...fat.

PPS Glad you and Girlfriend are ok, and out of DANGER.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Yeah, Girlfriend wasn't thrilled that I threw the pastry at him either. I feel it was worth it, though, because if nothing else it made ME feel better.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So the driver of the van was the old Tamba Bay Buccaneers logo "Bucco Bruce"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bucco_Bruce.gif

11:33 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

That's him!!! Man, I gues when he got cut from the team, he completely lost his mind.

11:56 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

when i first moved to brooklyn from six years living among the land of the utes, i'd lost all my expletives... so, when some fool ignored the little white guy who says, "Hey, Come On! It's Safe To Walk Here!" i believed him, and crossed the street. some ass cut me off, and i threw my coffee cup at him, yelling curses. he stopped, and i knew he stopped because he was frightened of the tall.ish woman with blazing eyes of fury.

actually, he was convulsed in laughter.

i'd yelled, "oh my heck, you flipping a-hole!"

yeah.

*sigh*

12:05 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

So this maniac is still on the loose? I'm staying indoors!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Quin... Not swearing is so much more hardcore.

Jeff... He's the new Freddy Krueger.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you be able to write a treatment spec script for me? I can see potential in this story for a possible Summer '08 release.

I'm thinking 'Cupcake Of Danger' as the working title.

We'll see if Bruce Willis is available, for your role C-Dog. And maybe Jessica Biel for Girlfriend.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

I totally just got a craving for a white chocolate raspberry brownie.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Michael Bay... OMIGOD, I can't wait for the Transformers movie!!! Is it too late to put me in that because I can totally turn myself into a car. Not a good car, of course... a Geo... but still. Please oh please?!?!?!

Big Daddy... That brownie looks like yum. I wonder if I could get a part in the Transformers movie if I gave one to Michael Bay...?

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not the movie, but you can maybe do some voiceover work as Bumblebee for the video game.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

No dice, Bay. It's the silver screen or nuthin' for this guy right here.

I'm pointing at myself, but you can't tell.BECAUSE YOU'RE A JERK!!!

Let me know if you change your mind, though!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I was on the left...and was nearly hit. Oddly enough, I was more upset about the loss of the lemon bar than any dangerous traffic. (Secretly I want to get hit by a car and collect millions of dollars.)

By the way, Michael Bay...for the movie I want to be represented by Elizabeth Shue. (My dentist says I look him her.)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

This happened to me once on Smith Street. I was crossing the street while talking to my dad on the phone, when these two slimy young guys went flying around the corner. Even though I was in the middle of the street and the light said it was my turn to go. I was so mad that even though I normally don't swear I screamed "FUCK YOOOOOU!" and my dad said, "What was that?" I think he thought I screamed it at him.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bay Ridge drivers tend to not hit and stop. So if you're hit badly, you'll be SOL.

I myself enjoy the sweet baking cupcake scents in the morning as I pass to go to work, and love eating their Carrot Cake Cupcakes.

Also, for the trekkers making a trip out here, I highly recommend a Cheese Calzone from Nino's Pizza a couple of storefronts down, and then getting your fill of cupcakes...MMMmmmmm

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home