Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Post With The Ghost

Heh... rhyming...

Anyway, the subject is "ghosts." Are they fact? Are the fiction? Are they merely a marketing tool created by Universal Pictures in an effort to unload their warehouses full of unwanted Casper merchandise? The debate rages on in the smellier, creepier chat rooms all across this cyber-landscape of ours and it will never, definitively be settled until the time in which a ghost gets it's own reality series. So, we're looking at roughly 2011 then.

As is often the case, I have no real, concrete answers to give. I will say that, despite the fact that I have a hard time accepting any of the concepts and theories behind religion, I do believe quite strongly in the paranormal. Maybe it's because I've always been attracted to the creepier side of life. Maybe it's because I watched a lot of horror movies growing up. Maybe it's because ghosts and aliens will always be more awesome than Jesus (I mean, Jesus couldn't walk through walls, nor could he hover over a cornfield and then shoot straight up in the air at 500mph). Whatever the case, it remains an everlasting truth in my life; I believe. I've even had some brushes with the "other" side, myself. Nothing spectacular, of course; I wasn't sucked into the TV set or contacted at the pottery wheel all sexy-like by Patrick Swayze. Still, I have accidentally stumbled into a few situations where things happened that I could not explain.
Now, because of my feelings on the subject, you may be quick to dismiss the following stories as merely "me seeing what I wanted to see." Tricks of the mind, tricks of the ear, etc. I don't think so. I know what I saw. I know what I heard. And I know that all of these things happened. So, with out further a-"boo" (hahahahahaha!!!!)...
C-Dog's Ghostly Adventures:
NOTE: All of these take place at the Creative Arts Theater and School (commonly referred to as CATS) in Arlington, TX. I took after-school theater classes there from the time I was 7 or so until I was 16. The building was and is widely accepted to be haunted and everyone that I know who went there has their own stories about things they saw/heard/felt/whatever. These are mine. I am not making anything in these stories up. Promise.
1. My mother was on the Board of Trustees at CATS and, as such, often had to attend meetings regarding the direction that the theater was headed, financially, creatively and otherwise. I would usually stay with her during these meetings since they were never very long and I as yet couldn't drive home myself, being only 12. Besides, there were usually some other kids hanging around that I could chill with while the meeting took place. One night, however, I was there by myself. I sat out in the hall, doing homework (this was back in a time when I actually did homework, you see) and generally minding my own business. All of the buildings current occupants were in the meeting; the building was locked up and all the lights, save for where we were, were out. As I ground away at stupid, hard math problems, I began to hear a noise at the other end of the hall; a noise like keys rattling. I looked up, but could see nothing. The building that housed CATS was oddly shaped, like a half-moon. Thus, all the hallways had a curve to them that was roughly the same arc as a fingernail clipping; you couldn't stand at one end and see all the way to the other. The noise continued and I, being a particularly bold 12-year-old, decided to investigate. I began to walk along the darkened hallway's curve, the sound growing as I neared the apex of the arc. Right as I started around the bend, there was a huge crash, as if someone had turned over a barrel of chains onto the linoleum floor. 12-year-old boldness only extends so far. I sprinted back the other direction and I sat outside the meeting room's door for the remainder of the evening, scared out of my mind but unable to look away from the hallway. If some chain-rattling boogieman was going to emerge from the dark, I wanted to see it coming.
2. A couple of years later, I was involved in a weekend Spring Cleaning day at the theater. I was relegated to the costume department crew, which, as part of my duties, required me to hoist armloads of old, smelly dresses, suits, tights, etc. up the stairway to the attic, which was the storage area for all the old, unused costumes. It was a terrifying place on it's own, consisting of several doorless rooms that extended off of a main hallway. Each room was densely packed with a maze of garments. One could easily get turned around and spend a few confused minutes trying to retrace their steps to the exit. The fact that each room had only one, naked light bulb for illumination didn't help matters any. After my sixteenth or seventeenth trip up to the attic and back, the overall spookiness of the situation had dissipated. I was tired, sore and generally pissed that I had been forced to haul around sweat-stinking, dirty clothes while all my friends were getting to play with power tools on the main stage. On my final attic run, I had an monster load of Old West dancehall-girl dresses and a bad attitude. I struggled them into their designated room (which was all the way in the back of the attic, of course), grumbling all the while, and tossed them down into a pile so I could begin the arduous process of putting them on hangers and shoving them onto the already over-stuffed racks. As I went about my business, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that, though the racks, I could see that the light in the room farthest from me (and closest to the staircase) had gone out. I thought nothing of it and carried on. Then I noticed that that another room's light had gone out. While I looked out towards the staircase, yet another light turned off. Then another. All of the lights were being turned off, one by one, and each one in a room closer and closer to me. My fight-or-flight instinct kicked in (I went with "flight") and I began to make my way out of the back room, through the maze of clothes. Right as I reached the doorway out into the hall that led towards the staircase, the light behind me went out. Keep in mind, I was standing next to the light switch, which was by the door. And I certainly hadn't touched it. Never has a person run down a flight of stairs faster in the history of panicked escapes. I got yelled at the next day for not finishing my assigned task, but I absolutely did not care.
3. My improv class had held it's session in one of the dance studios that day and it occurred to me as I got into my mother's car that that's exactly where I'd left my backpack earlier that afternoon. I sighed heavily and went back to the building to retrieve it. They'd already locked up and I had to bang on the door for the theater's Tech Director (who always worked late) to let me in. Once inside, I headed down to the basement level, which was where the bulk of the theater's classrooms were located. At the foot of the stairs was my destination, the dance studio. I walked into the room and I immediately sensed that something was amiss. I scrambled for the light switch, but my hand couldn't seem to find it. Something moved off to my left. I looked over and there, in the darkness, was a figure standing in the back corner of the room. No. Fucking. Joke. As it began to lift it's arms, I squeezed my eyes shut. Mercifully, my hand landed on the switch just then and I flicked it to the "On" position. When I opened my eyes, I was alone. I grabbed my backpack and made it up about halfway up the stairs when, in a whispered voice from behind me, I heard someone say, "Clint." I swear to whomever, on a stack of Woody Allen films, on my mother's life... I am not making that up. I turned around and the light in the dance studio was off. I hadn't touched the switch again after I'd turned it on. My mother asked me why I was so pale and I told her I was just tired. Really, I was fucking terrified.

15 Comments:

Blogger quin browne said...

totally believe in them.

to make it short...my youngest was accidentally locked in our van after a long day of two cars, lots of activity, five adults, and ten kids.. everyone thought she was with someone else this warm day in new orleans. my ex was walking back to the house, and he said a voice said in his ear 'go look in the van.' he kept walking. it said it again. he kept walking. then, a hand on his shoulder stopped him and said, 'my princess' baby is there, go look.'. he did, and she fell in his arms. another thirty minutes, and it would have been too late.

my grandfather, who was so close to me, called me princess.

i'm not sure who was more shook up, me, her (who told the world "my mom and dad tried to kill me"..she was three) or him. he said the voice was strong and clear and the hand didn't let him move forward.

yeah, i believe.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Woah. Creepy. Yeah, that's way better than my story in as much as yours had a happy ending. Mine all just had unsettling endings.

11:32 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

it does have an unsettling ending... to this day, and she's 19, she tells everyone her parents tried to kill her... the best was when it was her show and tell story, and i was the class mom and pta president.

yeah, what a kid.

and she wonders why i won't give her the keys to my car i've got locked in storage back home

11:39 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

I once lived with the ghost of an old italian woman.

Seriously.

The things I could tell you...

11:53 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

That sounds like the basis for a hot new sitcom on FOX.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

AWESOME!!!!!
Need more ghost stories, commenters! The only personal experience I can think of took place in Scotland, at an old hunting lodge that is now a super cool hostel overlooking one of the bonnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond. (I know: already robo-goth, right?)
This former lodge had a tower, and the story goes that the lodge master's retarded daughter lived in the top of the tower, and she either fell or jumped out of the window and was killed.
In modern times, some kids who'd stayed at the hostel in that tower room sent the hostel some photos they'd taken up there, which the front desk person showed me, and you see all this, well, what looked like the Ghostbusters ectoplasm in the air. Just like greenish yellowish blurriness.
So one night, after some delicious Scotch from our new flasks, my friends and I went to the top of the tower to see what was what. The door was locked & people were in there sleeping, so I just took a picture of my two buddies. In the photo, there is a little green blob floating above their heads, off to one side.
No one believes me when I show them. I'LL show them. Show them all.

12:45 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

We should totally develop this idea, Clinton.

FOX would be ALL over this.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, Clint, that's freaking awesome. You should email the Ghost Hunters from Sci Fi Channel and have them go invest that building, seriously.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Colleen... You totally took a picture of Slimer. You are my hero; watch her as she goes.

Lioux... My agent's hard at work hammering out the contract. Except that I have no agent. Or any idea what a contract is. It's like a pie, right?

Giggleloop... Funny story, actually. One of the staff members there contacted the crew from that old SciFi channel show "Sightings." They were actually interested and wanted to do a piece on the building, but the woman that ran the theater shot down the idea because she though it's be bad for business. I guess she had a point... still... would have been awesome.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see how it could be bad for business - if anything, you'd think it would drum up more business. People love that kind of thing. Take for instance, Lemp Mansion here in St. Louis. People pay $100 and up to stay there overnight because it's haunted. Hubby and I have stayed there twice. The 2nd time, we were exploring the house with the other group that had booked a room, and while we were all in the hallway, we heard a glass fall and break in the bar. But we couldn't go in and check it out because that is (supposedly) the only room in the house that has an alarm on it. *shrug*

Ghost Hunters is an awesome show. I hope it comes back on soon, I can't get enough of those guys. :)

2:26 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

Contracts are more like cheese.

But, Mmmm.

Pie.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I love Ghost Hunters. I lwill watch any show investigating any paranormal or questionable phenomena a la the Bermuda Triangle & Nessie for as many in a row as they will show, in one sitting. I should(n't) get cable...

3:06 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

The only story I have that comes close, is once during the winter, my cousin who was like 5 at the time, was staying over.

She woke me up and said some man without a face and wearing a hat was staring in our front window.

I figured she was just messing with me, so I went and looked and all I saw was that is was snowing.

I told her it was nothing and went back to bed.

The next morning when I went to shovel the snow, there was a single set of boot prints that started in the driveway and ended right in front of the front window. [They didn't even start in the sidewalk, just out of nowhere in the driveway].

The way the tracks were left, there was no tracks showing they had left. It was like they stopped at the window, and disappeared.

The tracks also were in one direction. You know how you can try and cover your tracks in snow by walking back over the same ones? Well, these weren't like that.

The other freaky thing is that the front window was quite bit off of ground level. At least 6 and half feet.

My only other scary stories involve tripping acid and sneaking in to, and then getting lost, in a cemetary at night. We ended up being stuck there for 5 hours.

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I really don't want to believe in them, I totally do, and this is due to personal experiences that I've been too embaressed to write down fully.

Thank you for being brave.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Big Daddy... No, dude, that certainly qualifies as a fucking creepy-ass story. Yeesh. I wouldn't have slept for days.

Beehive... Not brave at all; just in need of a topic to post about. But thanks all the same!

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home