Thursday, April 26, 2007

Worth Your Valuable Time



I tend to not listen to a lot of female artists and I have no earthly idea why that is. I do know that it's not because I think listening to female artists is "girly;" I have way too many Original Cast Recordings of Broadway shows to pretend that I'm anything but a big ol' queen in straight-guy drag. And I know it's not because I don't "connect" with the music, either. That's just silly. Human emotions are what they are, no matter the sex of the singer. I'm also pretty sure that it's not because I'm a sexist pig, but that's the sort of thing that you'd probably need references for, so... jury's out on that one. Whatever the case, the fact remains: I don't listen to a lot of female artists.

One, though, has broken through that nonsensical barrier and her name is Regina Spektor. This is, I'm sure, yet another instance of me being tragically behind the times as far as current, popular music is concerned but there's nothing I can do about that. I'm considering just telling everyone that I've been in a coma for the last few years, that way they won't balk at my outdatedness, so if anyone asks, you guys back my play, m'kay? Thanks.

Anyway, I just recently discovered Ms. Spektor (her "Begin to Hope" album specifically) and she's totally become my most-played artist for to enjoy while inputting invoices. Her lyrics are clever, her melodies are catchy and her voice is like naked cuddling after silly, happy sex.

Beyond the album's content, Regina Spektor is h-o-t. Like, crazy hot. By that, I mean she looks like the kind of girl that you date who's awesome at first but, three months in, you realize that she's absolutely out of her mind. I don't know, maybe it's the way that her features don't all seem to click together, or maybe it's the prominent black nail polish in the music videos... whatever it is, there's something a little unhinged about her and, as we're all aware, "unhinged" can be dead sexy. At least until it starts to involve cutting and dinnerware thrown at your head.

Anyway, as a point of reference, here's one of the aforementioned music videos from "Begin to Hope." It's for a song called "Fidelity" and it's been stuck in my head for so long that I think it's erased my ability to do long division*:




*Ha ha, I've never been able to do long division!

19 Comments:

Blogger Irish and Jew said...

I have had "heart ha ha ha ha ha ha heaaarrrrtttt" in my head for 4 weeks now. Regina is great. I think watching this video may get the song out of my head!

~Irish

1:55 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

The ending of this video reminds me of some of the artwork you've posted in "Oooh Pretty" entries.

Color everywhere!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Irish... Totally, me too. And believe me, that part sounds WAY less pretty when I sing it. I sing like butt.

Lioux... Well, I do try to be visually consistant. Except that I don't. At all. Coincidence!!! Speaking of which, I guess I'd better get on finding something for tomorrows Oooh, Pretty. We don't want a riot on our hands.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

So what do you think of Amy Winehouse?

Or is she out of your pop culture radar?

3:58 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Oooh, no! I've actually heard of her! She does that sassy song about not going to rehab. Yeah, she's cool. Because not going to rehab is cool.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Yah.

Check this. She was drunk on National British TV.

And her latest US single.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Who HASN'T been drunk on British TV? Hell, I'm drunk on British TV right now.

Oh... wait... I meant "I'm drunk on straight Everclear right now."

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering how you listened to your music at work. Headphones? On speakers but ever so softly?

I'm in college still and freedom is the name of my game so I'm not up on the procedures of office workers and hopefully never will be (I'm studying to be a pharmacist which is a whole different kind of boredom).

5:35 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Everyone in my office has headphones.

People who use external speakers are shunned upon.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Chris... Good question. Actually, for the first year or so, it was strictly external speakers turned criminally low. Then, about three or four months ago, I realized that A) I didn't care what the Big Bosses thought and B) the Big Bosses didn't care what I did. So I switched over to headphones. And my world changed for the better.

Big Daddy... Despite the fact that I used to be one of them, I, too, now hate on those who use external speakers. They are the suck.

11:10 PM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

hahaha. I still use external speakers. I feel like putting headphones on will make me look like I'm not doing work. Which clearly, I'm not anyway, based on what is found on my computer screen at any given moment of the day.

But since I sit in an open space, I've gotten really shy about listening to music anymore. Which sucks. Because I am so behind on what's cool. Which is why I like your music posts. :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Aw, thanks. I try not to make this a "music blog," because there are way too many of those out there, but I'm glad that at least somebody is digging it when the topic comes up.

Seriously, I wouldn't make it without headphones. Helps drown out the Moron Twins who sit next to me.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Lady musicians? Heh, what will they think of next?

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like Regina Spektor you should check out Cat Power-Chan Marshall the lead singer is amazing...

4:26 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Have to check them out. Thanks for the tip, yo!

4:40 PM  
Blogger blythe said...

i've been all up on regina for some time now. she's great. be sure to check out all of her older stuff too. "us" is quite wonderful. in the meantime, i'm sure you're on the feist bandwagon, right? if not, get on board with "1234." cheers.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I'm totally digging on that song right now and, once again, it's because of the video on your blog. I meant to comment on that the other day. So you're, what now...? 3-for-3 with the music? Good show!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

My rommate owns that Regina Spektor CD and I ripped myself a copy into my iTunes since she's rumored to be so good, but I must say that while I love that first song, all the other songs on the album seem kinda boring to me.

10:35 AM  
Blogger blythe said...

oh yes. i am a music recommending goddess. in my mind.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home