Monday, April 23, 2007

Boris Yeltsin: Dead

UPDATE: Yeesh. This is what happens when certain people (me) are allowed near a computer when they're half asleep and mostly drunk. I should just take it down, but no; I'm not going to. I'm going to leave it up as a reminder. A warning, if you will. Much like how they used to put convicted criminals in cages and hang them up on poles along the main roads so everyone would know that the upcoming town meant business and was tough on crime. I believe they stopped doing that in the early 70's, but still... damn effective.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


I'm not going to pretend to know anything about the man's politics, or even about how he conducted his life in general. What I will say is this: Boris Yeltsin died at the age of 76. And he drank vodka every day. Like, to the point where blackouts were as common an occurrence during his time in office as mispronunciations have been during Bush's tenure. Oh sure, Yeltsin's handlers and various media lackeys tried to keep his drinking on the down low for the sake of their country's image, but, c'mon... you can only show up all red-faced and silly to so many events before people start just assuming you've got a gentleman's flask hidden somewhere on your body at all times. This, of course, leads to random people hitting you up for a quick nip at an alarmingly frequent rate, but I'm sure in Yeltsin's case he had some large, ex-KGB types hanging around to scare away the freeloaders.
But I digress.
My point is this: While vodka isn't my particular drink of choice (unless I'm drinking on the sly, of course), I do think it's just swell that there's now a poster boy for drinking a lot of it and not dying early from liver disease. This, of course, isn't counting the millions that... eh... you know... do die young from liver disease. I mean, that's the other side of the argument... of course... ah... hrm...
You know what, forget I said anything. I'm going to go have a drink now. Hopefully that will help me forget that I'm an awful person.

10 Comments:

Blogger Irish and Jew said...

I've got nothing.
~Irish

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as someone who is old enough to remember him facing down the communists' pathetic coup attempt without a shot being fired and presiding over the first even remotely freely elected government in the history of Russia I guess I'll view the ensuing opinion of him as a pathetic boozehound as a real shame. If Churchill were around today he'd be eaten alive by today's press corps. Can't you just see the picture of him making the V for victory sign under the headline "Winnie says 'Make Mine a Double'"?

2:20 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I can't believe I'm going to admit this but I wasn't even aware that he was no longer Russia's president until hearing that he died. Maybe I need to lay off the vodka.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Hey now, let's not get crazy. Laying off the vodka means the vodka's won. And we don't want that to happen, now do we?

10:12 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Your absolutely right! I'm going to go have a vodka drink right now!
Thanks Clint!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

No probs. I do what I can.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Vodka is the nectar of the gods!

Who knew potatoes were so useful.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Magic from the ground, they are. Also quite tasty with a little butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon.

3:28 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

OMG!!!

I drink vodka EVERY DAY too.

Maybe I should be a world leader.

Hmmm.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

In the short time that I've known you, you've exhibited nothing but leadership qualities. I think now's your time to make a run for office. Stay drunk though; it gives you powers.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home