Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Bath Shame

Last night, for the first time in at least fifteen years, I took a bath. Which isn't to say that I haven't bathed in fifteen years, of course... I'm just one that takes his daily cleaning ritual standing up, shower-style, preferably with ridiculously hot water and enough energy to belt out a few show tunes while I wash my hair (Hair, incidentally, is a popular selection for mid-shower singing).

Anyway, the reason I bring it up is that, while soaking in the tub, I suddenly realized that I was filled with shame. Like, we're talking real embarrassment here. I sat there, red-faced, considering the bar of soap and hoping to God (or whomever) that no one I knew would suddenly come barging in, camera at the ready, to document this humiliating situation I'd gotten myself into.

Why all the fuss? Because baths are for girls.

Or at least that's what popular opinion would have me believe. And, truthfully, I think the popular opinion is dead on with this one. Taking a bath is... well... kinda girly. It implies stress relief and candles and big frothy mounds of white bubbles while the Indigo Girls or possibly Tori Amos play softly in the background. Also, baths imply sweet-smelling fragrances that most men wouldn't be caught dead smelling like; it really is hard to have one without the other.

Now, before I go any further, note that I had a perfectly good reason to be in a bathtub last night. Actually, it's the only acceptable reason for a man to take a bath: Injury. Due to my aforementioned foot pain, coupled with the basic rigors of walking for three days straight while being out of shape and overweight, the lower half of my body is pretty fucked up. Sore, blistered, cramped and over-taxed, my legs feel like they've been attacked by a group of thugs, viciously and repeatedly. With bats, even.

Thus, a soothing bath. And I have to admit, it felt damn good. Except for the shame part, which I guess there's just no getting over.

My larger question here is this: How does something like baths become "A Girl Thing" all of a sudden. Is it entirely the fault of movies and TV? Because I know for a fact that I've seen Clint Eastwood playing a cowboy having a nice, relaxing soak. Maybe, for me at least, it's because the girl I'm most often around, Girlfriend, takes a lot of baths (she likes to read in the tub) and, therefore, I associate bath-taking with her and, by proxy, all things girly. Whatever the case may be, I think it's time that we men reclaim bathtime; move it back to neutral, everyone-is-invited territory where it really does belong.

Baths shouldn't be just a girl thing. They should be "A People Thing." If for no other reason than it's hard to drink a glass of whiskey in the shower without the aid of a sippy cup. And that right there is "A Baby Thing" of which we will have no part. So lets get in the tub, men (not altogether, unless you're into that sort of thing). It may feel wrong at first; we've got a lot of stereotyping to get over, for sure. But eventually you'll just go "Aaaaaaahhhhhh."

Oh, also, someone should contact Old Spice about making a bubble bath just for us. Something butch.

31 Comments:

Blogger lioux said...

I enjoy a nice hot bath from time to time.

There's no shame in this, Clinton.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring bathing back!!!

3:17 PM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

I like bathing for two. However, I think my boyfriend thinks that bathing is a "Girl Thing" as well, so I haven't had much luck in convincing him that bathing is a "Two Person Thing". Perhaps your post will be educational for him. Or perhaps I should just shove him into the tub one day when he least suspects it.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Clinton, I like the cut of your jib. I haven't taken a bath in a long time but might have to add it to my to do list. Of course, I'll have to clean the tub first and I hate doing that.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Lioux... I thank you for your support.

Mr. Bubble... I thought you were dead! Glad I'm wrong. Hey, I've always wanted to ask: Are you in any way related to the large, talking Kool-Aid pitcher. Because there's a resemblence.

Cheese... I'm not a big fan of couples bathing either, but that's mainly because I'm fat and getting in a tub with me is like wrestling a nude, soapy bear. Sorry for the image.

Jeff... Yeah, cleaning the tub sucks. When I lived alone, my shower was a petri dish for new species of mold.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

I loved bath time as a kid, mainly because of all the toys that you can bring with you.

Perhaps men need their own bathing accessories. A waterproof mini-bar comes to mind.

In the meantime, think of your tub as a really small pool or of youself as a giant...at least until your acclimatized to baths again.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah!

Mr. Bubble®™©™ and I are second cousins twice removed.

3:36 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

I like this mini bar idea, DF.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will fully admit that back in my high school days of playing football, soccer and baseball; I was not above the occasional pain relieving soak in the tub. Mainly because our private school refused to invest in a whirlpool (probably for new cheerleading uniforms or choir uniforms) and parents never could be convinced that a hot tub would greatly enhance my atheletic career.....

that and baths are fun.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

A waterproof mini-bar! Where do I get one?!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

If you take a bath in a big metal basin you will feel like more of a man. Maybe taking a steam at the gym? Although... you know what goes on in those steam rooms at the gym...



-Jew

3:54 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Digital... That's a crazy kind of genius, my friend.

Kool Aid... I KNEW IT!!!

Scott... Hey, those Oakridge cheerleading uniforms don't come cheap, ya know. Still, thank you for supporting this idea, even if you do have a perfectly good athletics-based excuse.

Jeff... I'm going to track down a manufactuer and work out a sponsership deal (I've GOT to get away from these Cobblerdog folks. It's getting scary.)

Jew... I can only assume that you're talking about hearty, back-slapping conversations about sports and politcs.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Baths are great for migraines, and insomnia.

There's actually a bunch of manly/unisex bath products out there.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take my baths with a rubber ducky.

My "roomate" Bert®™©™ thinks it's annoying.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Kool-Aid Man, you know I've held a grudge against you ever since you burst through my apartment wall while I was just trying to enjoy an ice cold beverage. The landlord didn't believe me and I never got my deposit back. I'm glad to see that your using your powers for good now. Video

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Yeah!

Sorry 'bout that, DF.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Big Daddy... I don't know if I could ever bring myself to buy "products." I'm one of those kinds of people that think buying Head N' Shoulders is "gettin' fancy."

Ernie... Yes, we've all seen the show. Quit bragging about your duckie.

Digital... You should sue his red punch-filled ass.

Kool Aid... Dude, NOT COOL.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing that could help bring back baths for dudes would be if the people who make baths would make them so that men could fit in them. As a fellow large guy (6'4" 230) I don't fit in the standard issue tub all that well and all of me never fits in there at the same time.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Beehive Hairdresser said...

Dude, Calgon is on sale this week at Duane Reade.

9:26 PM  
Blogger ellagood said...

i dated a man who only took baths and i have to admit, i found it odd.

however, there is nothing wrong with it.

i just think men prefer showering because jerking off in the tub is kinda gross. (unless you are a girl with a good faucet attachment.)

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think of baths as especially girly unless there are scented oils or bubbles involved, or maybe leg shaving. When I was younger my dad and brother both took baths sometimes. Not together, obviously. I think they were soaking hemorrhoids or something else embarassing because my brother never wanted to talk about it. Too much?

1:18 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

J... That's a problem with me, for sure. Our tub at home is roughly the size of a pint glass, at least relative to my fat ass.

Beehive... Finally! I'll get my purse.

Ellagood... I don't know if I'd trust a guy that only took baths. Sounds like serial killer behavior to me.

Anonymous... Yeah, I'd be a little hesitant to talk about hemorroid soakage too. Of course, it's your duty as a sibling to mock him mercilessly for having them.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belting show tunes isn't the most masculine thing in the world either, you know. If you're fine with that, I see no reason for why bathing should be a hang-up.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Yeah, but I do it in a really deep voice. So there.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're as masculine as Bea Arthur, then. Which, yeah, is actually pretty damn masculine. Carry on.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Yes! Exactly! I knew I bought all these tasteful mumus for a reason!

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you all forgotten the Dude and his propensity towards baths? if you've not had a Lebowski Bath, replete with candle stubs, whale recordings, and a doobie, how can you call yourself a man?
marmot optional, of course.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once in high school when one of my younger brother's friends called for him, I told him my brother couldn't come to the phone because he was taking a bath (which he was). I then got yelled at by both my father and then later my brother, who both informed me, "you don't tell people that!" How the Hell was I suppose to know it is only socially acceptable for girls to take baths?? BTW, my male family members are the super-masculine, sports-playing type, so I found this all very amusing.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jess... Ooooh, good point. I, in fact, had totally forgotten about The Big Lebowski. Unforgivable, and thanks for setting me straight.

Bubble_Lover... Hilarious! You should have said, "Yeah, my brother's in the bathtub. Also, he's playing with dolls and talking in a high-pitched voice about how he's a pretty, pretty princess." That's some excellent emotional scarring right there.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does sitting on the floor of the shower, hung over, letting hot water pound the top of my head for an hour count?

10:35 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Doesn't count as a bath, but it does feel FANTASTIC! That's the hangover cure I bust out the most, followed closely by McDonalds and curling up in the middle of my bed and weeping.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home