Thursday, April 12, 2007

Vacation Excitement

Tomorrow, I embark on a three-day, whirlwind, crazy-go-nuts, multi-drink excursion to the place known by some as The Windy City, by most as Chicago, and by a few people from the state-run home as That Shiny Place Where We Get Ice Cream Sometimes.

Yes, it's vacation time for C-Dog and honestly I couldn't be more excited. I know that everyone loves vacations but, for we that choose to live in New York, going somewhere else is a particular thrill. Maybe it's because we're all broke and must always choose food and rent over trips to exotic locales, or maybe it's because none of us have cars and are therefore limited in our travel options to the far-flung burgs offered up by our various mass transit lines... but whatever the reason, though I love this city, occasionally getting away from it is a special sort of joy. Yes, even if your destination is another big city. It's still different. Everything, no matter what, is exciting and new:

"We're hanging out in our hotel's lobby... in Chicago!!!"

"We're looking for deodorant in a Walgreens... in Chicago!!!"

"We're belatedly doing our taxes... in Chicago!!!"

"We're sitting in the ER holding a towel to our nose to sop up the never-ending flow of blood because somebody had to pick a fight with a construction worker... in Chicago!!!"

No matter what, you're breaking ground and blazing new trails. It's like being one of the great and noble explorers of yore, only you're much more likely to "discover" some deep-dish pizza and the odds of you contracting smallpox are admittedly slim.

I'm also excited because no one in our group has yet revealed themselves to be a psychotic "planner." You know the type: they've got a detailed itinerary for every day, they're probably wearing a fanny-pack at all times, and God help you if you've got to take a leak before the scheduled bathroom break; that will throw everything off and we might as well go home! They're the people that, more than likely, end up getting pushed into a canal or a lake or whatever body of water is nearest, deepest and has the largest chance of being stocked with fish that eat people. My crew, though... we've got an idea of a few things we want to see (thanks, by the way, to everyone for their excellent suggestions) but we know that we've got plenty of time to do what we want and see what we want and, besides, too much planning leaves little time for the serious business of drinking... in Chicago!!!

See, that works for everything.

23 Comments:

Blogger lioux said...

Have an AWESOME time...in Chicago!!!

I can't wait to get away. My band Sister Kisser®™©™ is currently planning out our summer road trips, and they're AWESOME people to travel with.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Oh, I plan on it... in Chicago!!! And summer road trips are the best; truly the Oscar winners of the vacations-with-friends genre.

9:28 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Wait!

Does this mean no ZFS!.blogspot.com tomorrow?

No "Oooh, Pretty!!! Friday?"

[Panic]

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Current weather conditions here in Chicago: 35 degrees with rain and snow.

Freeze your ass off . . . in Chicago!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I know you aren't scheduling anything but, if you stumble past an internet cafe tomorrow, maybe you could post an "Oooh pretty". . . in Chicago!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Lioux... Worry not. I've got a couple of my friends that will be carrying on with ZFS! in my stead. I'm going to post about it a little later on today.

Zac... Boooo!!! Eh well, at least the bars will still be dry... in Chicago!!!

Jeff... On it, yo. I plan ahead. Not that I'm wearing a fanny-pack or anything.

9:46 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

This would be an awesome solution, Jeff.

Then you'd be blogging...in Chicago!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Clinton, don't forget to try to score some heroin . . . in Chicago!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This just made me realize I have not been outside of NYC since December.

9:52 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

I was waiting for someone to comment...on Heroin!

Was it mentioned on the post?

9:55 AM  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

I was beaten to the heroin gag, so I got nothing...from Texas. :(

Enjoy your trip though!

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun and try and at least take some time to worship at the temple that is Wrigley Field.... and if you get a chance try and take a leak ON whatever shitty corporately named stadium the White Sox play in....... fuckin' White Sox.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jeff... Why do you think I'm going to Chicago, the heroin capital of the world. Or so claims their Chamber of Commerce.

Midwesterner... Doesn't that suck? It's been since December for me too. It's like we're in the Army or something. Particularly since I have to dig foxholes all day.

Lioux... It's in there, but it's subliminal. Trying out some new brainwashing tactics.

Digital... Thanks dude. Hey, since you're in Texas, head on over to Plano. They'll hook you up with the all the heroin you can handle.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Scott... I'm damn sure going to attempt the Wrigley Field trip. And I imagine I'll be pissing on a lot of things in Chicago, what with my rate of consumption vs. my infant-sized bladder. I'll try to aim the stream towards the White Sox, for ya.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I hope it turns out to be your kinda town, as the song goes. I like to make fun of other cities that try to be real cities. Chicago's nice, though. Like Midwesterners.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Thanks, dude. I hope so too, though Chicago's really going to have to try hard to top New York, which, despite it's problems, is pretty awesome in my mind. Hopefully the people will be nice and give me lots of hot dogs (which, along with the pizza, is a good 58% of why I'm going).

10:18 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Co they have Cobbler Dogs®™©™...in Chicago?

10:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey man your in luck, I see that El Boring Boringson and the Dulls are opening up for Foghat at the United Center this weekend.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Lioux... Cobblerdogs haven't reached the Midwest as of yet, though we've got big plans for a product rollout this summer. Also, demographics. Spreadsheets. And so forth.

Midwesterner... Awesome! Foghat has the best heroin. And maybe I can get El Boring Boringson to show me the city, his way. By that, I mean "with lots of naps."

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun in Chi-town! Wave towards St. Louis, I'll wave back! :)

(Go Cards!)

2:31 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

I think I'll do my next rehab....in Chicago.

Actually, prolly not. I'm not a fan of Chicago [the city, not the band].

2:33 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Giggleloop... Thanks, dude. I'll wave at extactly 12pm on Saturday. Be waving back. (Go Mets!)

Big Daddy... You totally do it all for the glory of love. Don't lie.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noon on Saturday, check!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home