Saturday, April 14, 2007

Five Things Clint and His Girlfriend Argue About

Dear friends, please don’t despair, Clinton will return! In approximately 45 hours he’ll be stepping off a plane ready to post the addictive bloggings of wit and whiskey that you (Yes, You!) crave. So stop your moping, cease your keening, and stop threatening to slit your wrists. No, Seriously, you have so much to live for…call a hotline or something.

Until the return of He-Who-Lives-With-Me I’d like to fill in with a segment that documents the intimate life between the lovable drunk and me: Girlfriend. Just consider me the methadone to Clint’s heroin; I’ll make the worst of your shakes go away, but you know you’ll be back on the junk inside a week.

The section is inspired by Mil Millington’s Hilarious book and is aptly titled:

Five Things Clint and His Girlfriend Have Argued About

1. Movies. In a stereotypical relationship both parties tend to veer towards different tastes when it comes to the cinema. She may like romantic comedies while he may enjoy action films, and it seems very normal. When Clint and I moved in together there was talk about sharing a joint Netflix account…If the both of us had made that decision the relationship would have ended. No, not ended as in break up, or even in a trashy public fight, but in a steel cage match where we had to use mechanic’s wrenches to bludgeon each other into wet, fleshy puddles. It’s not so simple as he likes Westerns and I like drama, it’s the comparison of a pretty mainstream movie-goer and Clinton who spent a considerable chunk of his adult life working consensually at video stores. I enjoy watching films that are released in Unites States theatres, and Clinton gets his jollies from watching Italian horror flicks from the 1970’s and other genres just as obscure. Sure, you could call my taste in movies boring and predictable, but after a while a girl just wishes for movies she could pronounce the title to.

2. Our first date. Little known fact: Clint and I met through Craigslist when I answered his ad. Yes! Internet Dating Works! However, C-dog proposed our first date over instant message while drinking and thus forgot. I only found out later that he broke our first date arrangement to go out with another girl…you guessed it, from Craigslist. I took the whole deal in stride, not because I’m a really caring and understanding person but because I will always have the upper hand in any fight:

Clint: You left the door open when you got home and the cat got out!

Girlfriend: Well, at least I didn’t cancel our first date because I was too drunk to remember it!

3. Crossing the Street. We live in Brooklyn and do lots of walking, but crossing the street is often an ordeal. Clint will stop if he senses a car coming, and throw his arm up to clothesline me before my feet leave the curb. It doesn’t matter if I have the right of way or not. In his defense Clinton will often say “I didn’t know they were going to slow down” or “You weren’t even looking” to me, but little does he know my genius plan of getting run over and collecting settlement checks for the rest of my days. First I get the money, then I get the power, then I get the women.

4. Soymilk. Soymilk is banned from the house. (TMI warning) Ever since chocolate soymilk was invented I was a huge fan, and every once in a while Whole Foods will have a big enough sale that I’d be seduced into buying half a dozen cartons. Not for any vegan or health-conscious reason, just because I like the taste. Embarrassing, but true but a gallon of soymilk consumed in less than 24 hours does terrible things to a person’s digestive tract. I refuse to go into more detail than that, but Clint has issued an edict that limits the amount of Silk chocolate soymilk that I can consume within a certain time span without being exiled from the communal bed-space.

5. Bathroom decorum. If you asked Clinton what his number one pet-peeve he would tell you about my incredibly serious infractions with leaving water on the bathroom floor. It’s true; I just called him and asked him what we fight about. So sue me, I was running out of ideas. And just like that a squabble erupted from four states away, because I should be allowed to track water around the house if Clinton is allowed to leave beer cans in the shower. I mean, it’s sooo déclassé to walk into the shower covered in Schlitz cans…it isn’t even imported beer!

That’s it chickadees! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Clint will be back Monday! Oh, if you ever wonder why I remain anonymous as simply “Girlfriend” it’s because I teach at a public school and would never want to risk my hide. Here’s a shameless plug to my anonymous blog about teaching
  • Teach You A Lesson


  • --Girlfriend

    14 Comments:

    Blogger C.R. III said...

    Though I can't abide by the water on the bathroom floor, I still must say that you're, well, rad.

    I'm also pleased that you didn't hijack his blog to talk about how much you miss him. Because you know that's what he'd do if you were away. Wait, didn't he do that a couple months back?

    Oh, and I hear you on the soymilk thing. But, as you know, it is delicious. It also makes a great drink when mixed with Kahluha and vodka. FYI. I call it a "Dirty Hippie". Look for it to be sweeping the nation any year now.

    10:27 PM  
    Blogger ellagood said...

    you guys are so cute that i just want to cry. or finish this bottle of vodka.

    seriously, the men i have met on craigslist have turned out to be really sketchy motherfuckers....how did you manage this?

    sigh....

    5:57 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    c.r. iii, Thank you very much... I have to try your dirty hippie, I have plenty of soymilk on hand while Clint is away.

    ellagood, for every decent person you meet on craigslist there;s roughly a dozen losers you have to deal with. Like the Indian guy who wouldn't see any movie other that The Pacifier, and wouldn't even pick up the tickets. Maybe you should finish that vodka before taking that next date.

    8:28 AM  
    Blogger lioux said...

    Dirty Hippies sound AWESOME!

    9:23 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Do you ever fight about heroin?

    9:39 AM  
    Blogger Jeff said...

    Great blog entry! This is just like that Simpsons episode when Homer becomes a teacher at the adult night school and spends the whole class dishing dirt about Marge. Good stuff!

    9:48 AM  
    Blogger lioux said...

    Aren't The Simpsons®™©™ awesome?

    10:51 AM  
    Blogger Colleen said...

    Hello, Girlfriend! My beau & I have the same thingy with movies, only I'm the one wanting to watch the Dario Argento movies and lacking a willing co-watcher. We do have a lot of movie overlap, though, which is good. Also! I have witnessed the occasionally disastrous effects of soy milk in others! Sorry bout that, becuase choco soymilk is gooood.

    12:02 PM  
    Blogger Irish and Jew said...

    Hi Girlfriend. Nice to meet you!

    I thought my old roomie was the only person who had CL success. So congrats now I have two stories to share with others searching for CL love.

    ~Irish

    12:43 PM  
    Blogger Digital Fortress said...

    I can't believe I never heard of CL during my single days! Damn!

    Me and my girl met online though also, through Yahoo Personals, but usually find it too weird to actually admit it.

    2:47 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My wife was married before so I can always take the upperhand with one mention of her being married before. Unfortunately, those arguments turn into a complex game of mental Mouse Trap as we both try to think of the faux pas the other makes for long enough for her to forget that what started the whole thing was my leaving clothes everywhere. Relationships are complex. Not unlike a game of Mouse Trap.

    3:07 PM  
    Blogger Big Daddy said...

    Now I don't feel so bad leaving my heroin laying out, and Stella Artois bottles in the bathroom. Thanks!

    3:20 PM  
    Blogger Jeff said...

    Mmmm, Stella.

    4:04 PM  
    Blogger Ms. C said...

    Hey everybody, I have spoken to Clint moments ago and he’s on his way home…so yay! There was a pretty gnarly Nor’easter going on and a pretty good chance his plan would have been delayed until tomorrow.

    Irene, Clint and I never fight about Heroin. The couple that does junk together gets the shakes together.

    Jeff, Thank you. Although this blog entry doesn’t nearly dish enough dirt. Remember to ask Clint about SHARTING.


    Colleen, I’m glad I’m not the only person who uses the term beau. My students always ask if I’m married (I teach a very urban high school) and the term “beau” confuses them. Also, Dario who?

    Irish, yeah funny how love can bloom through internet tubes…Can it be called love if I answered Clint’s ad from the Erotic Services board.

    Digital, you don’t have to tell anyone you met your girl from the internet…just tell them you met in an opium den, or by sharing needles.

    Mmyers, you cannot beat a woman at the relationship game. We’re programmed with super powers when it comes to getting the upper hand.

    Big Daddy, it’s fine to leave heroin our at long as you don’t leave syringes in the bathtub.

    4:42 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home