Wednesday, April 25, 2007

ZFS! Turns 1

Don't want to make a big, hairy deal out of it or anything, but I did want to point out that it was exactly one year ago today that I decided I was bored enough to finally start one of those crazy "blog" thingies that all the kids were on about.

On the grand scale of achievements, keeping a blog going for a full year isn't that big of an accomplishment, especially when you consider how little energy it takes to be a smarty-pants on the internet. In fact, my inner cool kid wants to brush ZFS! off like it doesn't matter; like I'm just having a laugh and that I could walk away from it at any time, perhaps to buy a spiffy, new leather jacket and some sunglasses to wear only at night. That, however, isn't the case. This blog represents one of the only things in my life that I've ever stuck with. Amid the rubble of half-finished plays, novels with only three chapters written, and short stories sans endings (who, I ask you, can't finish a short story), ZFS! stands alone as something not abandoned; something in which I didn't lose interest.

It's not cool to say it, but nonetheless... I'm proud of this blog. It's not art, it's not spectacular writing, it's not anything more than the semi-coherent ramblings of a casually drunk office drone... but it is mine. That means a lot.

So, a few thank yous, then we can all get on with our lives:

-Thanks to Girlfriend, for not minding when I use our personal lives for post fodder.

-Thanks to my job, for the eight hours a day of free internet access.

-Thanks to Gawker, who are responsible for the majority of the people whom I unpretentiously and lovingly call "my readers."

-And of course, thanks to you guys for continuing to show up, for willingly tolerating this nonsense, and for making it fun. The comments you leave are awesome, across the board, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. Seriously, again, a billion times, thanks.

So, there you go. Back to it then. Drinks all around and here's to another year!

28 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Happy Birthday ZFS!!!!

And thank you for providing a whole year of such top-notch enlightenment and entertainment!

9:40 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZFS!!!

I Love, Love, Love that your birthday cake looks like a beer.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jeff... The pleasure's been all on this end, m'boy.

Lioux... Or does my beer look like a birthday cake? Oooooh... blowin' your MIND!!!

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! and if it's not Art it's at least art and that's just a man's name anyway... cheers!

10:09 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

WHOA.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*toasts you* Happy Blog Birthday! If it weren't for your comments over at the AV Club, I would never have found this super cool place. And now I frequent ZFS more than I do AVC, so there ya go! :)

10:29 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Hear, hear! I feel like my blog has a little community around it, and certainly yours does, and we share some of the same people...so even though we're all pecking away at keyboards alone in ugly offices, it's really kind of a Internet buddy love-in!

10:29 AM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

Happy Birthday and many moooooore!

:)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

Happy birfday!

I know how you feel, if Irish and I didn't have a blog we'd probably be in a gutter somewhere... or getting a lot more work done-- whatevs.

We love zfs!!

-Jew

10:39 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Playing Ugly... I've always thought of it more as simply "fart."

Giggleloop... How sad is it that I forgot I used to have my link up on the AV Club. Man, I've got to lay off the booze. Oh and, toast backatcha.

Colleen... I like to think of us as one big happy family. Who don't know each other. And communicate only in writing. And if we ever were to meet, would have a strict "no touching" policy. Still, a love-in's a love-in, no matter what form it takes!

Cheese... Gracias, Cheese! Which is something I've never said before.

Jew (and Irish by proxy)... Oddly enough, I get a TON of work done when I'm in a gutter. And mad thanks for the love!!!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good work. I am fairly certain I will never make it a year so you should be proud.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Thanks dude. And I had always assumed that you'd been at this for way more than a year. Mad skillz, as they say.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work, cap'n. Keep it up.

12:46 PM  
Blogger FrancesDanger said...

Happy Blogbirthday! And for the record I consider your blog high art, as opposed to minem which is more WalM-art

1:09 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Mmyers... Will do. As long as EVERYONE agrees to call me Cap'n from now on. I'm so buying me a Captain's hat.

Holygirl... Ah well, I don't know about that. But thanks, of course. And your blog's way, way better than Wal-Mart. You're at least Macys.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks dude. And I had always assumed that you'd been at this for way more than a year.

Thanks man, but not even close. 3.5 months....

1:15 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Wow. Could have fooled me. In fact, you did. Nicely... done... Midwesterner. Nicely done, indeed.

But we'll meet again.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Happy Bidet!

La'Chaim!

I came via Gawker, but stayed for the wit.

And bad ass commenters!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Muchos gracias, dude. Yes, the commenters here, yourself included, are the finest in all the land.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Braden said...

* sniff *

Oh, they just grow up so fast!

(I was just remarking to myself the other day -- you know, like ya do -- how faithfully you've been blogging it up, and doing quality work, I might add. Big Fat Congrats, Man!)

5:36 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

never say blog.


it sounds like the noise you make the morning after too much bad food and drink

9:34 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Happy B-day! Not totally uncommon that good blogs lead to better (writing)opportunities; I wish that for you.

10:23 PM  
Blogger stew said...

omg, happy BIRTHDAY, zfs!

Before long, you'll be a blog old enough to drive a car... vote... drink!!!

Happiest of bdays, zfs, and thank you for being the Mario Batali of Saltines and stuff you can dunk them in.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Braden... I've said this to you before, but just so it's mentioned in print at least once: 90% of the things I write, I write with the thought, "Will Braden think this is funny," rattling around in my brain.

Quin... I just blogged all over the place.

Ruth... That's really nice of you to say, dude. I, course, have always got that in the back of my mind. It makes for quality daydreaming. I won't hold my breath, of course, but, to paraphrase F. Scott, isn't it pretty to think so?

Pigeon... God, this blog is NEVER getting a car. And I haven't ever been compared to Mario Batali before. Or, at least not in a category other than fat-assedness. So thanks!

11:23 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

yeah, blog...it's what happens if you eat too much catsup and water soup.

be careful.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

No worries. I'm an experienced crappy food-eater. It's in my blood.

7:18 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

it happens to us southern folk...if you can't fry it, put gravy on it..or, better yet, do both.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Mmmm... fried, gravy-covered whatever...

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home