Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Wash

Everyone has got that one, life-sustaining chore that they absolutely hate doing. For Girlfriend, it's the dishes. For some it's, say, shopping for groceries. And judging by the man standing next to me on the subway this morning, for some it's bathing with any regularity whatsoever. For me, it's laundry. I hate doing laundry. The very thought of doing laundry turns me instantly from the reasonably intelligent, 26-year-old man that I am into a petulant, whiny 8-year-old. You know how you'll see screaming, thrashing little kids being dragged out of Toys R Us or Chuck E. Cheese and they'll go all limp in their parent's arms and generally try to make it as difficult as possible for them to be dragged toward the minivan that's attempting to whisk them away from all the fun? That screaming, thrashing little kid is me, the minivan is laundry and Toys R Us or Chuck E. Cheese is all the other things in the world that I'd rather be doing. I am only exaggerating slightly.

Because of my feelings towards laundry, I have for years sent my clothes out to be washed by the capable hands of others. Even during past financial crises (money problems are a reoccurring theme in my life in much the same way that sunsets tend to happen a lot on planet Earth), I've always managed to scrape together the cash to have someone else deal with it so I don't have to. Discovering that this was an option was a momentous occasion in my life on par with my finding out that the internet contained pictures of naked ladies. Unfortunately, given my current state of getting-out-of-debtness (speaking of reoccurring themes), availing myself of the drop-off service has now become as thing of the past.

Which is how I found myself in a laundromat in Bay Ridge last night, pumping quarters into machines and quietly but sincerely praying for my own death. I realized right away that it's not the physical act of doing the laundry that I hate. Loading and unloading clothes takes, like, thirty seconds and lifting a pile of shirts really doesn't take that much energy. No, it's the being in the laundromat that does me in. It's the waiting. The horrible, horrible waiting. "But C-dog, why don't you bring a book? You CAN read, right?" Yes, thank you; I finally learned last year. But that's not the point... while normally I can get down with a book just about anywhere, when I step across the threshold of a laundromat, something unexplained and tragic happens. My attention span, not a strong, steadfast thing to begin with, completely evaporates. I can maybe muster two or three pages, but then my eyes wander. I'll begin to pace. I'll start to see how many times I can flip a quarter in the air and catch it without dropping it. I'll attempt to whistle. To keep my brain from leaking out my ears, I'll begin to play trivia games in my head; like, I'll try to name as many songs by a given band as I can before the dryer stops.

Side Note- I inadvertently hit on the perfect band to play this little game with last night: The Smiths. All their songs are kind of long and sentence-y and you really have to focus to get the wording exactly right. It took me at least five minutes to come up with "Frankly, Mr. Shankly" and another ten to pin down "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me." This also works with Meat Loaf songs for the same reasons, but after "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and "Bat Out of Hell," you'll find you only get sadder and more depressed with each additional title you can name. Knowing a bunch of Meat Loaf songs is on par with knowing verbatim the starting line-up of the '76 Texas Rangers; a sure sign that you've wasted your life.

Anyway, as I was saying... being in a laundromat saps me of mental stamina and by the time the spin cycle has rolled around, I'll have completely given up all hope and allowed myself to be hypnotized by the swirling clothes.

After all of the machine-work was finished, it was time for the final, most painful part of the process; The folding of the clothes. Here's the deal: I can't fold. Gun to my head, family in jeopardy, the fate of the free world hanging in the balance, I couldn't fold a shirt any better than I could scale a building with my bare hands or make a pass at Jessica Alba without having my skull dislodged from my spine by a bodyguard the size of a Mr. Softee truck. Not helping matters, I tend to get impatient with the whole drying process and end up taking the clothes out while they're still slightly damp and wrinkly. This makes them harder and more unwilling to fold and, when they're jammed none-to-carefully into the laundry bag for the lug home, the wrinkles tend to get permanently ingrained into the fabric.

Once home, I'm left with clothes that are technically cleaner, but still look as though they've been worn for several days by a person who spends a lot of time in mosh pits. This is why Girlfriend doesn't let me wash her stuff. Whereas laundry with most people ends with nice, pleasant-smelling clothes all hung up on hangers and sparkly new for the weeks ahead, laundry with me ends only in apologies and bitter pledges of vengeance.

However, I will voluntarily do the dishes, so it all evens out.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

C- Jim Sundberg
1b- Mike Hargrove
2b- Lenny Randle
3b- Roy Howell
SS- Toby Harrah
OF- Jeff Burroughs
OF- Juan Beniquez
OF- Gene Clines
DH- Tom Grieve

... I am a sad, sad lonely man.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

That's damn impressive, dude. Sad, yes... but impressive. Have you, by chance, read Mike Shropshire's book "Seasons in Hell?" It's about the '76-thru-'78 Rangers (the Herzog/Martin years)and it's probably the funniest sports book I've ever read.

Highly recommend.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've read it like 4 times... love it.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I lived on 63rd and Madison I paid for laundry a couple times but it was like $40 so out of principal I refused to do this. The closest laundromat I could find was 70th and 2nd!!! That is quite a hike with a 30 pound bag of laundry, I do not miss those days. I have an in building machine now.... life is sweet.

10:20 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Wait.

The internets contain pictures of naked ladies?

I'm going to do laundry tonight.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Scott... Yeah, me too. It's one of my go-to books when I want something to read, but not anything that makes me think.

Midwesterner... 40$ is outrageous! In the sticks of Bk, it's only like fifteen or twenty bucks.

Lioux... Yes it does, dude. You've been missing out. And I'm sorry you have to do laundry tonight. I feel your pain.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

Jew tried "doing her laundry" herself on Monday. However, she had (I kid you not) 3 life sized bags of laundry. Lucky for her I had my car in BK for the night. When I returned an hour later I was shocked to find her in the apartment... "I just did drop off," she said. "Really how much" she frowned almost started crying and said, "$68".

I fear the day I have to give up drop off. I'd even consider giving up drinking before giving up drop off. Scary.

~irish

11:35 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

make it into a piece of performance art. take the laundry, and use it as your prop as you turn the entire thing into a metaphor showing your contempt and sorrow for the shame america should feel for the underpaid undocumented workers in the capitalist owned lettuce fields in california.

let a single tear slip down your cheek...like chief dan george did in the old litter campaign.



i really have far too much time on my hands, don't i?

11:44 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Irish... 68$?!?! Damn. I say again: DAMN. That's a lot of laundry. Also, never forget... drinking comes first.

Quin... Or you're just really brilliant. What's great about laundry performance art is that you don't have to buy a costume. You can just pick out from the pile whatever's the least stinky (or the most stinky, should you want to go that route).

11:57 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Having a laundry room is one of the things I envy most about my suburban friends and family members. I hate the laundromat!

12:21 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

One of the only, ONLY, good things about my time spent in LA was the fact that I had a washer and dryer actually in my apartment. Not only that, but it was a foot and a half from my bedroom door. I still get misty when I think about it.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I am just due to do my own laundry, and it's gonna be a doozy, like 3-bagger, blankets and such. If anyone is considering moving to the city, please realize that unless you are Richie Rich, you will have to lug your laundry somewhere not in your own building to get done. And then you will pay an insane amount to have it done for you, or spend hours hanging out around other people's kids running around screaming, even though it is midnight. And then when you think the whole affair is over, you will have to lug it all back home and up your four flights of steps. (In my case.)

Clinton, maybe you should come to my 24-hour laundry on Atlantic Ave. I think you will find it is in most convenient proximity to Hank's Saloon. You know what makes the laundry time pass quite pleasantly? Cheap beer.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

God, yeah cheap beer would've made last night go quite a bit more smoothly. Oh, and I'm TOTALLY with you on the flights of stairs and the lugging up that must ensue. I've only got three to contend with, but they're steep as a motherfucker.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

If you pick up that meth habit, doing laundry becomes fun!

You'll even want to do other people's laundry!

I once cut my lawn using a pair of nail clippers while high on the meth!

It took a while. but dagnabbit if each blade wasn't the exact same perfect height.

Meth is the new heroin!

But seriously, I went through a stage where instead of doing laundy, I would just buy replacement drawers, socks, and undershirts.

After 2 months of this, the resulting laundry took all day to catch up on. So never again.

I try to do it once a week so it doesn't stock up.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I've always wanted to do that... the whole buying new close instead of doing laundry thing, not the meth thing (although...)... but I've always been too broke.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

It was easy because there's a Ross and TJ Maxx on the way home, so I could get a bunch of socks for like 3 bucks. And a pack of T's 5$.

4:38 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

i'll go with brilliant

5:24 PM  
Blogger Beehive Hairdresser said...

Doing your own laundry is great, sometimes I'll find my own change, oh, how I love the found change.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Quin... Yeah, because if you deny brilliance, how do you explain the laundry performance art?

Beehive... Dude, I've eaten for days off of found change. It's all about the free dipping sauces.

11:11 PM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

Please. Beehive has $400,000 worth of found change just sitting on his dresser. He could buy a lot of dipping sauces with that.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home