Monday, March 26, 2007

Sweetness And Cheer On A Monday

As a tonic to the morbid, fairly gruesome tone of my earlier post, allow me to tell you this quaint, charming story that will make your heart go, "Awwww...":

My friend Amy and I walk every morning from Union Square to our office in Midtown. We do this because she's a healthy, fit person and I, despite repeated protests and an intense amount of whining, would like to be a healthy, fit person, too. Or, at least, I'd like to not die when I'm in my early 40's because my heart is packed solid with beef fat and rich, dairy-quality butter. Anyway, I always get to Union Square at 8:15am, because I'm punctual like that, and Amy is always late because, though she may be healthy and fit, she couldn't be on time to save her life. Usually, I just sit and read until she decides to grace me with her presence, but today (since the book I'm currently reading is depressing and not fun to read early in the morning) I decided to take a stroll through the Union Square Greenmarket.

Side Note: If you live in New York and you're not a fan of the Greenmarket, then I hate you. It is awesome, and they have apple cider donuts that are truly epic.

Sadly, they did not have any apple cider donuts this morning (Girlfriend, I assure you I'd have bought you some, had they been available), so I was about to head back to Amy and I's usual meeting spot when I spotted quite possibly the sweetest elderly couple I've ever seen. They were standing behind a table full of their wares, baked goods mostly, and they were all bundled up in their scarves and wool caps and, as they stood there, his arm around her shoulders, both smiling, they were pretty much the best advertisement "falling in love and growing old together" ever had. Drawn in by their warmth, I strolled over and perused their offerings. Truthfully, it all looked top notch, but I ended up selecting a Pumpkin Cookie with Crystallized Ginger. The woman smiled at me, genuinely and with grandmotherly love, and the man stood stoically and handsomely by her side. I payed for the cookie and I walked away, happy that at the very least I'd given some money to what seemed like nice people.

Then I took a bite of my cookie. Holy. Shit. It was like taking in a mouthful of Autumn; it was harvests and fireplaces and mounds of fallen leaves and chilly walks through forests, all baked into a soft, moist treat that only cost me a dollar. It was, in short, cookie magic. The only thing, and I mean the only thing that I've tasted recently that tops this cookie was Girlfriend's Sticky Toffee Pudding, which, omigod (slobber), but that's a post for another time.

I went back immediately and bought another and there were smiles all around and good cheer bursting forth from that single booth in Union Square. It was really awesome and I recommend everyone start their dreary Mondays by purchasing cookies from sweet, elderly couples at the Union Square Greenmarket.

Perks one up better than a cup of coffee, for damn sure, and it just makes you feel all fuzzy-wuzzy with joy. Everyone needs that, every now and again.

16 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy said...

I'm naming my next band, 'Cookie Magic'.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

May I also suggest: "Big Daddy and the Magic Cookies"

2:53 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

That cookie sounds AWESOME!!!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Lioux... Dude, you have no idea.

Big Daddy... Use with my permission. But if your band takes off, you have to buy me expensive liquors and fancy cakes.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

God i am SO in the mood for cookie today too... too bad i filled up on dark chocolate candy eggs. It just didn't hit the spot ya know?

-J

3:39 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

That reminds me, I haven't had my annual Cadbury Egg of Disguting Amounts of Sugar yet this year.

Need to get on this.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

You can be in charge of enforcing my tour rider while on tour.

Remember, absolutely no brown M&M's!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

he had to beat them to death with their own shoes...

4:38 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Big Daddy... Right, Boss! How you set for heroin?

Irish and/or Jew... You don't hear enough Waynes World 2 references these days. Good show!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Heroin is so 1994. I'll take OxyContin and Ambien, thanks!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Dude, I totally lost all train of thought when I read the words "Sticky Toffee Pudding" ... maybe the greatest desert known to man!! To paraphrase the immortal Bob Saget. "Cookies? You're here for cookies? How about sticky toffee pudding, Clinton. Have you ever sucked dick for sticky toffee pudding!?!?"

6:53 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

They were smiling because they knew the secret ingredient and you don't... It's PEOPLE!! Pumpkin Cookie with Crystallized Ginger is made from PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

9:22 PM  
Blogger ellagood said...

awww. i work a block from union square and don't ever seem to make it out there. (hell, i am lucky if i get up to pee all day - my old assistants used to have to remind me - no fucking joke).

anyway, grandmotherly love rocks.
this post makes me feel warm and fuzzy about living in ny.

wish i would take advantage of it.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Hoosier Joe... Have I ever sucked dick for Sticky Toffee Pudding? Sir, I'd say your question is a little... half baked...??? Eh... anyone... see what I did there... oh, nevermind.

Joel... Well, they were damn delicious people, if that's the case.

Ellagood... Glad I could pass on the fuzzy-wuzzies; I've felt full of cheer all day. And I feel the same way you do about taking advantge of stuff like that here in NYC. I don't do it near enough as I should.

10:42 PM  
Blogger stew said...

thank you for this post. It's beautiful and sweet and briefly took my mind off Anna Nicole's butt abscess.

thanks again.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Hey, no problem. Glad you liked it. I'm always happy to provide people a brief respite from thinking about butt abscesses, Anna Nicole's or otherwise.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home