Friday, March 23, 2007

On Being A Pupkin

I've decided that I'd like to be famous. For anything really, I'm not picky. Writing would be nice, obviously, but I'd be okay with being famous for creating a hot, new style of rap, or maybe for inventing a kind of delicious, edible hat. I'd even be willing to take a bullet for someone who's already famous (George Clooney, for example... rawr!) because, if that happened, I could at the very least get on CNN. Again, what I get famous for isn't really the issue; I'll take what I can get.

Actually, the fame, per se, isn't really what I'm after either. From what I understand, when you get famous, people are always bugging you to sign crap, to talk to them, to smile for the camera, to say "something witty." Puh-leeze. I won't even do that stuff for my girlfriend, much less a bunch of yahoos who, I assume, smell. No, it's really the things that come with fame that I'm after; specifically, the money and the power. Okay, just the money. I'd like to have just an obscene amount of money so I could buy myself and my friends (mostly just me, though) really expensive electronics and nice pairs of tennis shoes and even a fancy condo somewhere on a beach where I could have frosty, fruity beverages made with fine, imported rums brought to me ever 20 minutes for the rest of my life.

That, kids, is what I'd like.

However, I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen. Oh, it's not that I don't think I've got the talent or anything; I'm reasonably sure that edible hat idea would go over like gangbusters and, when it comes to writing, I'm at least better than Dean Koontz and that guy's sold tons of books. It's more that I don't like feeling like a Pupkin.

Allow me to explain: Rupert Pupkin (pictured above) is a character played by Robert De Niro in Martin Scorsese's 70's classic The King of Comedy. He's a schlub who wants nothing more than to be a famous comedian and he goes about this by hounding, badgering, cajoling, stalking and eventually kidnapping a very famous talk show host, played surprisingly well by Jerry Lewis. It goes without saying that Pupkin is out of his mind, but that's not the point. The point is, he's one of those types; the ones that are so singularly focused on "achieving their goals" that it becomes all that they are about. Of course, for the sake of the movie, this is blown out of proportion and taken to it's most illogical extremes. But I've known the real-world Rupert Pupkins and they are a scary, irritating lot. Example: A good friend of mine wants to be a [generic artistic profession]. Badly. So badly, in fact, that it's all she ever talks about. It's all she ever thinks about. It's all she's about, period, and it's a big part of why I don't really hang out with her anymore. Will she "achieve her dream?" Probably, to one degree or another, because people who are Pupkins generally annoy enough of the right people to be allowed into the fabled gated-community known as Fame. But only at the cost of being someone nobody wants to hang out with, under normal circumstances.

As for myself, I can never, will never be a Pupkin. I don't have it in me. I don't have that passion to devote myself to a lifetime of schmoozing and networking (gag) and chatting up people, constantly, about my amazing line of edible hats (now in Sour Cream & Onion!) or my ability to write sentences that amuse those with low standards. Maybe it's the way I was raised, or maybe it's because of a certain weakness of character, or maybe it's because I'd simply prefer to sit around and drink beer all the time... I'll let you draw your own conclusions. But the fact remains the same; I'm not a Pupkin. And therefore, I'll never be famous.

So, my point, finally, is this... Would one of you guys mind terribly dropping fame in my lap, because I'm certainly not up to grabbing that brass ring on my own. I'd really appreciate it and, hey, when I'm famous, I'll sign anything you want me to. As long as you keep the fruity drinks coming.

Thanks!!!

20 Comments:

Blogger i like cheese said...

ha. I totally know what you mean. I would never be a Pupkin, but I want, somehow, to be discovered, through some serendipitous stroke of luck. Discovered for WHAT I'm not even really sure. But I'll figure that out once "they" discover me. :)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Glad I'm not the only one. Keep this is mind, though: Edible hats are MY idea!!! Everybody got that? Okay, good.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I hate to rain on your parade but Homer Simpson invented the edible hat many seasons ago. His was made of nacho with a well in the top for dip.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

See, these are a different kind of Edible Hats... these are made of jerky.

But I've already said too much.

MY IDEA!!!

10:52 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Thanks for mentioning my Future Ex-Husband George Clooney®™©™.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

No prob... he's all class, that one.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Beehive Hairdresser said...

On your behalf (I hope that you don't mind) I spoke with Tom Hanks (ouch my foot) about making you famous, and well, to put it simply, you're in.

All you have to do is sing a couple of songs for his movie soundtrack label, and he'll promote them and you til no end.

You in?

11:57 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Oh I am SO in!!!

If I have any choice in song selection, I'd like to sing an up-tempo ballad, a swingin' country tune and a gothic dirge.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

I think being famous would suck. You couldn't go out in public. And every stupid thing you do, ends up in the tabloids. Lindsay Lohan's got nothing on my 20's.

I think you're better off just being famous in the blog world.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Yeah, but isn't being famous in the blog world kind of like being the most handsome patient in the burn ward?

Also, no money.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know what your saying... I have had dreams before that I was a cast member of a highly sucessful ensemble sitcom. In my dream version it was a pretty sweet life, so much I am a bit depressed thoughout the day. Then I usually try to talk myself into forming a comedy troupe or something but I usually get drunk on UFO instead.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty familiar scenario. More of a Stout man when it comes to beer, but otherwise, we're of the same mind.

Incedentally, I've been a part of a couple of comedy troupes in my day; they were fun, but I found lack of motivation to be a BIG factor.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Actually, because of my blogging, I got a real writing job, for a magazine. So there can be money in it.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Beehive Hairdresser said...

No money??? I've earned upwards of $4.71 so far from google ads.

That's nearly $2.50 a month on blogging, and half of what most stand up comics make in a year.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I stand corrected. Hey, if that's the case, maybe I can finally stop selling my body at Port Authority?

Oh, who am I kidding? Then I'd NEVER meet new people.

3:42 PM  
Blogger FrancesDanger said...

I'm totally going to get you some free fame as soon as I figure out how to make a living from going out to clubs/bars/events 5 nights a week.

Seriously, I'm writing you on my list right now.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You? Better than Koontz? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

12:35 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Frances... Super! I'll just chill here and wait.

Dean Koontz Fan... Hey, at least SOMEBODY finds me funny.

8:46 AM  
Blogger freshbread said...

heey, who you callin' low standards?!

fame is a cheap hooker with good clothes.
and it can be bought.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Oh... um... I didn't mean YOU. Of course not; I meant... uh... that guy over there. He'll laugh at ANYTHING!

Also, do you have that hooker's phone number? Because I need to ask her something only a hooker would know.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home