Tuesday, March 20, 2007

"Dashboard" by Modest Mouse

Hey kids. I'm once again working the West Coast shift at the office today, so, until I'm firmly ensconced in my cubicle and in a writin' frame of mine, please do enjoy this video offering:



Heh... sea captains.

Man, I love bands that actually bother to attempt telling a story with their videos. Seems like now, most videos are just image collages that pulse to the beat of the music. Either that, or they're animated. Both of which tell me that the band doesn't care about the video at all and would rather hang out in their million dollar tour buses shooting up fine, imported heroin with underage prostitutes while worshiping Satan (I'm looking at you, Radiohead...).

Anyway, my point is, Modest Mouse is awesome. I'll admit though, that I'm biased, being as how my love of their collected works is one of the few good things that sprung forth from my time spent as a prisoner of Los Angeles. Even now, putting on their "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" album is like tearing a hole in the fabric of time and space; suddenly I'm back on the 405, stuck in traffic, trying to make it to my dinner shift at the Outback in Northridge.

(shudder)

Ooookay, that's enough Modest Mouse for now. I'm having flashbacks like a 'Nam veteran.

5 Comments:

Blogger lioux said...

Here is a short list of my band Sister Kisser®™©™'s influences:

• Ennio Morricone
• John Barry
• Johnny Cash
• The Cramps
• Siouxsie and the Banshees
• The Ventures
• The Stranglers
• Phil Spector
• Julee Cruise
• Cocteau Twins
• Jesus and Mary Chain
• The Damned
• Dusty Springfield
• The Cure
• V.A.S.T.
• The Nightblooms
• The Cult
• The Beach Boys
• A Flock of Seagulls
• Dead Can Dance
• Smashing Pumpkins
• Sisters of Mercy
• The Shadows
• Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass
• The Verve
• Duane Eddy
• Andy Williams
• Angelo Badalamenti
• Allison Krause and Union Station
• Mazzy Star
• Tarnation
• The Catherine Wheel
• The Sundays
• Sigur Ros
• Echo and The Bunnymen
• Medieval Baebes
• Aimee Mann
• Miranda Sex Garden
• The Shaggs
• Joanna Newsom
• Goldfrapp
• X
• Kate Bush
• Lovespirals
• Black Tape for a Blue Girl
• Abby Travis
• Curve
• Shudder To Think
• Two Ton Boa
• The Killers

Movies by
• David Lynch
• Hal Hartley
• Jim Jarmusch
• Wes Andersen
• John Waters

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that song, but they're playing it to absolute death here in StL (and I'm sure elsewhere). Course, it also might just seem that way to me since I spend over 8 hours driving each day. *shrug*

2:46 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

8 hours of driving A DAY??? Jesus... that's... well, that's a lot of driving.

They're probably overplaying it here to; I don't really listen to the radio anymore, so I don't know.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Modest Mouse gives me hardcore flashbacks too. . . my love of their collected works is one of the few good things that sprung forth from a horrible horrible breakup the summer of '03. So despite what I wrote earlier this week, I pretty much have all of "Lonesome Crowded West" memorized as well.

Like the new video!

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, maybe not 8 hours continuous, but I'm a delivery driver, so I'm on the road most of the day unless it's slow.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home