Thursday, February 15, 2007

Rocky Balboa: Saviour

Sorry to be all link-happy this morning, but I can't let this sneak by without a mention:

Apparently, a Serbian village is erecting a statue of Rocky Balboa in an effort to ward off their supposed bad luck. Really! Seems they've had a lot of landslides and floods and what have you and they feel that a statue of Rocky will give them a more positive, less landslide-y, less flood-y image. This idea was dreamed up by one of the village's residents, one Bojan Marceta, and I for one think it's a pretty spectacular example of "thinking outside the box."

Town besieged by natural disasters? Put up a statue of an 80's-relic action star! Why the fuck not? If it doesn't work, people will just go, "Obviously," and everyone can get on with their lives. But if, all of a sudden, everything gets better, you'll be the genius who said, "I'm pretty sure Rocky can save us all" and now you're a town hero. Guess where they're going to put your statue? Right next to the Rockster, that's where.

Seriously, this made me ten kinds of happy. Almost makes me forget the Hardaway thing. Almost.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan T said...

That's awesome.
If it works, will they start worshipping it? Will there be the Cult Of Rocky? Will people make pilgrimages to see this great statue?

On the plus side, the didn't get a quote from Stallone for the BBC article. I can hear it now, "Yo, they gotta do what they gotta do, you know?"

11:37 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I pity any large Russians that wander into that town, I tell ya.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Rocky did say, "Cut me, Mick." and Mick did cut him, and everyone rejoiced...

Now that's a church service I could get behind.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home