Thursday, September 14, 2006

Movie Poster A Go-Go: The Sequel

Let's applaud or mock (mostly mock) other people's graphic design skills...

The Wizard of Gore



See, they had the makin's of a great poster. A cool, even classy background; what says "horror" better than a spray of blood across a pure white sheet? Then they had to get the guy who does the fonts for Megadeath albums. Now they got a great background that's totally marred by a logo that looks like it should be air-brushed on the side of a van. I can only assume that decisions like these will spill over into the movie it's self. Although Crispen Glover is always welcome in my horror genre.

Marie Antoinette



Finally, Teen People magazine has their hands on the 18th century. I really want to like this movie because I am a huge fan of Coppola's Lost in Translation, but... eh... I don't know. If the poster is any indication, and for the sake of this post, it is, we're going to be given a weird mix of historical drama and Pretty in Pink. I don't know if I can stomach something that hip without spontaneously sprouting a trucker hat. My t-shirts aren't ironic enough of this movie.

Fast Food Nation



Now this I like. Certaintly gets the point across, if nothing else. Also, it makes me hungry, but I have a feeling that's not exactly what the filmmakers were going for. One beef (tee hee!), what's with using the same font from Fahrenheit 9/11? Is that the only font available for hard-hitting, quasi-documentaries? Eh... if that's it's biggest crime, I suppose we can let it slide. Especially because I like the tag line. Clever!

The Last Kiss



Okay, now I like Zach Braff. I've watched Scrubs for as long as it's been on and I thought Garden State was one of the best movies of the last few years. However, I don't particularly have the desire to see Garden State remade a whole bunch of times with an ever-rotating cast of pretty girls for Braff to get all mopey over and yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that's what we're getting here. The fact that movie's written by the guy who wrote Crash, a movie I will never stop being angry about, doesn't make things any better. Hrm... guess we'll see. Oh, and Last Kiss... your poster is blah.

The Guardian



What, is that a threat?

6 Comments:

Blogger Benticore said...

The Guardian? Ugh.

What made you angry about Crash? I was fairly unaffected by the movie until I saw Encino Man's Intern. SHE was so hot, I let my wife buy the movie...oh crap, here she comes...

So, I really though that the social commentary on the nature of inter-racial conflict in LA today was spot on in its...portrayal....

Phew. Shes gone.

Yeah, that chick was totally hot.

Um...what were we talking about?

Benticore
Out

12:00 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I just thought it was the most wildly overrated movie of the last couple of years.

The acting was fine, but the screenplay, which basically amounted to "Hey guys, racism is bad," was terrible. The direction, too, was screechy with "IMPORTANCE" and "MEANING" and it was basically like being beaten over the head with a rolled-up copy of Time Magazine for an hour and a half.

I don't fault it for it's sentiments, but I do fault it for being so crassly obvious with them.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I have Sofia's Marie Antoinette, and the best thing I can say about it is that it is a fascinating mess .. I'm still not sure what she was trying to do, and she definitely never manages to tell any kind of coherent, but it's a train wreck worth seeing for the carnage

6:22 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Oh, I'm totally going to see it. If for nothing else than I'm a big fan of hot cinematic messes. And it sounds like this is going to be on for the Hot Cinematic Messes Hall of Fame (it's Southern California).

8:28 PM  
Blogger Braden said...

Am I the only one who thought Garden State was a ninety minute music video? The number one comment I hear from people who recommend the movie is, "It's got a great soundtrack!" Ugh. Boring and overrated.

P.S. Clint -- awesome poster reviews.

P.P.S. Zach Braff can kiss a wang.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Piffle! Garden State was a great exploration of a young man's enuii, as well as a perfect example of how we mythologize the places we come from.

And Zach Braff is DREEEEEAMY!!!!

p.s. Thanks for the compliment; I like doing the poster thing. It's fun!

p.p.s. Zach Braff can kiss me gently on the cheek!

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home