Monday, September 11, 2006

How To Remember

Can't really post today without acknowledging the day it's self.

Five years ago, everything changed. Don't need to tell you that though, I suppose. You were there, in one way or another, so you know. Unless, of course, you're a five-year-old with amazing cognitive abilities who's stumbled upon this blog and if that's the case, go ask your mother. Anyway, there's nothing that I can say about September 11th that hasn't already been said by smarter, better looking people, so I won't bother trying to put my spin on it. My "Where were you when it happened...?" story isn't even that exciting; I spent most of the day getting drunk while working at a video store in Austin. Big whoop.

I will say, however, a hearty Fuck You to CNN... in case you haven't heard, they've elected to remember the events of five years past by reairing, in real time, their entire day's coverage from September 11, 2001. Um... what? For one thing, everyone knows that reruns suck. Second, why would anyone want to watch that? I'm fairly certain that all of us were glued to the tv when it all went down and, if memory serves, it wasn't that fun of an activity. I can't really imagine that anyone feels like snuggling down on the couch with a bag of Pop Secret and a 2-liter of Dr. Pepper so that they can relive the horror. Just seems like a wasted effort.

Which is not to say that we shouldn't pay tribute, or memorialize, or even quietly remember. We should, of course. A lot of brave people did brave things bravely that day and a lot of other people died bad, mean deaths that were entirely unnecessary. So light a candle, say a prayer, raise a glass or have yourself a good, long cry.

Do anything but flog yourself with a visual recapping of our nation's most recent darkest hour. That's just not the way it should be done.

My opinion, of course.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

Yeah that was pretty dumb thing of CNN to do, I've seen it so many times and it was bad enough the first time. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home