Thursday, April 23, 2009

"Oasis" by Amanda Palmer

Far as I'm concerned, you can't beat a peppy pop song about deeply, deeply depressing subject matter; stuff like, for example, Third Eye Blind's immortal classic, "Semi-Charmed Life," which was about crystal meth addiction, or "Burnin' Up" by The Jonas Brothers, which is about watching a lover die slowly from colon cancer (it's subtle, but it's there).

In that vein, I'd love for you to check out this little slice o' magic from Dresden Dolls frontwoman Amanda Palmer's solo album; it's insanely catchy and it's about having to get an abortion after being raped. That's entertainment, folks!

NOTE: Video NSFW if your work frowns on representations of rape and abortion played for laughs.

2ND NOTE: Tip of the hat to long-time friend of ZFS! Carly for directing me towards this awesome, awesome song, which I haven't yet been able to get out of my head with even the most potent of pharmapsychological drugs.

6 Comments:

Blogger carly said...

omg! long time reader, first time commenter!

this whole album is righteous. "leeds united" has the line, "who needs love when there's Law & Order" -- so, I have to marry her.

and, bonus: it was produced by ben folds.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

That chick is hot.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Jenny, the Bloggess said...

And now I will sing that for the rest of my life.

9:58 PM  
Blogger XtraSugarXtraSalt said...

Ummm...I was curious what amanda palmer would do solo...now i have a whole new crop of wonderful abortion songs!!! or at least one...and the pink hanger is PRICELESS!!!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Pop and Ice said...

Who knew being pro-choice could be so cool? And I really wish I were young enough to copy her fab eye makeup!

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Stella said...

I have been a fan of Palmer’s for a while. And was delighted when I saw the video. Reminds me of high school... such big things happened but who cared as long as we got tickets to a concert! I still smile when she gives the abortionist a high five. Oh Palmer! Great post!!!!

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home