Friday, August 08, 2008

Olympic Events: A Pictorial, Pt. 1

NOTE: Today marks the beginning of the the 2008 Summer Olympics, which are currently being held in Beijing, China in an effort to make the whole affair a little more "human rights violation-y." Here now, a look at some of the events featured in said games...

Fencing



Swordfighting! Well, sort of. I mean dudes up there ain't exactly Wesley and Mandy Patinkin from The Princess Bride. If anything, they're most like the Archduke of Wales and his inbred cousin having a quaint match before the Royal Court is in session, and that's kinda sorta lame. I mean, if you're going to have swordfighting, man, motherfucking have swordfighting!!! Put them on a sinking pirate ship and let 'em run around all crazy! Swords so sharp, they cut the fabric of time and space! No pansy-ass robot bee-keeper masks! If someone loses an eye, that's THEIR problem (and the ratings will go bananas). The Gold goes to which ever homeslice walks off the pirate ship covered in blood and hyperventilating like a solider about to storm a Nazi bunker. Silver and Bronze medals are buried with the guys who still have most of their limbs attached. Now THAT'S an event worth watching. Two wimps in white capri pants parry-thrust-parrying like at each other like rich people trying to avoid breaking a sweat... not so much.

Baseball



You'd think America would have this one locked down, seeing as how we invented the game and all, but you'd be dead, stinkin' wrong. You know who's the current medal leader in Baseball? Cuba. Followed by Japan. We are a shame-faced third, kids. At BASEBALL!!! Babe Ruth is rolling around in his hot dog-filled, chocolate-and-beer-flavored grave! Now, granted, the US team is comprised mainly of our nation's finest minor leaguers and assorted college tip-tops... what I mean is, it's not like Derek Jeter and Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard are out there knockin' dingers into the upper deck or anything. Our best guys are pros, and therefore ineligible, so we've got to rely on a bunch of skinny nerds who've seen Bull Durham too many times and think their fucking Nuke LaLoosh. Meanwhile, Cuba and Japan are training baseball players FROM BIRTH to knock bloops into shallow left and throw 95-mile-an-hour heat and run the bases with mathematical precision and control the flight and trajectory of the ball with their minds (okay, that last one hasn't been proven...yet). HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO COMPETE WITH THAT??? Well, obviously, we need to hire some fake-mustached college kids named Blalex Brodriugez and Bladamir Buerrero and Bavid Bortiz. Otherwise, it's another Bronze medal, which might as well be our country's flag, on fire.

Trampolining



If I didn't have photographic evidence that this is a real event, I wouldn't believe it. And, truthfully, I'm not 100% convinced that this isn't just a clever Photoshopping job. Because, seriously... jumping on a trampoline? For an Olympic medal? FUCKING REALLY? If this is in fact an actual thing, then I should have earned my sweet Texas ass a Gold when I was eleven years old and busting out double-backflips-to-a-butt-drop in my grandparent's back yard. And, I'm sorry, but if they're not doing that thing where you bounce right next to your friend for extra height on your jump, then they've completely missed the point of trampolining and should be collectively called into the house for supper. What else from my childhood can we pretend is an actual athletic event? Olympic Freeze Tag? Red Rover? Capture the Flag (actually, that would be kind of sweet)?

Triathlon



Now THIS is an Olympic sport. You've got to, like, ride a bike for a long time and then you've got to run through the city and then I think you've got to fight a bear or something (not entirely sure). It takes skill and stamina and the ability to fend off clawed swipes to the head. Other words, you've got to be an ATHLETE. Unlike in some other events... *coughTRAMPOLININGcough* You can't train for the Triathlon by getting all gooned on Kool-Aid at your awesome aunt's house and goofing around with your cousin until it gets too dark to see the springs on the side. You have like do sit-ups and stuff. And I guess you should fight a series of progressively larger bears until, you know, you get to the Olympic-sized bears. Grizzlies or whatever.

Weightlifting



One of these days, someone is going to lift the barbell wrong and accidentally shit their pants in front of the entire world, humiliating themselves and their country while becoming a YouTube superstar (or pooper-star, if you will) overnight. Will 2008 finally be the year? We'll just have to wait and see!

15 Comments:

Blogger Ross said...

Clint,

There are too many Olympic sports to make fun of. I think you need a second installment of this series. I would suggest that the series run through the length of the Olympics, but that seems like a lot of coordination.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For reasons I won't go into I am currently spending my Friday night watching the opening ceremonies...in Japanese...STONE COLD FUCKING SOBER. This is truly a low point for me. Damn but I hate the opening ceremonies. Its like watching the Superbowl if it were nothing but halftime show...and sober.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRAMPOLINING?!

you're telling all that time i spent stoned on my trampoline in high school could have led to a gold medal? dammit

9:43 AM  
Blogger Liöüx said...

I am agreeing with Ross on this one, Clinton.

You've been 'in training' for something like this for the past two years.

Just think. Blogging could be THE Olympic®™©™ event of the future.

Go for the gold.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a TRAMPMAMPOLINE?!?!!!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Ross... As the "pt. 1" in the post title would suggest, I am intendening to make my way through all the Olympic events. Unless I get bored with it or run out of ways to make fun of people far more athletic than myself. We'll see!

J... I fucking LOVE the Olympics and I can't sit through the opening ceremonies. Boring as crap. Good luck, dude.

Wish... I think, in the Olympic version, you lose points for just laying there stoned talking about, like, the universe, man... the UNIVERSE.

Lioux... If blogging were an Olympic sport, I'd probably be that one athlete who everyone assumes is going to win the Gold, but ends up falling face-first into a hurdle and breaking his jaw. I don't do well with pressure, is what I'm saying.

Homer... Skittlebrau?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Hex said...

As embarrasing as it is that we don't automatically win the gold in baseball every year, it would be doubly so if we also suck at trampoline.

I love in the south, and it's like a rule that people with kids have to own one of those.

By my calculations, the US trampoline team should have well over a thousand people on it.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I can't wait for gymnastics to start!!!

11:55 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

i saw a weightlifting event where the guy lifted, stood, and his knee blew out sideways.

yeah.


good times.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a weight lifting event where the guys arms got streatched down to his ankles.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you may have just illustrated our baseball problem. Half of the players you mentioned are Dominican.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a picture of weight lifting from the midget Olympics?

11:28 PM  
Blogger Bill From Gainesville said...

C- Dog I just read a news brief that said someone from the Czech republic won the first GOLD of this olympics for "10 meter air rifle" WTF is 10 meter Air rifle. a gun that big is probably more like a tank some kind of a pussy 10 meter air tank.... oh wait, I guess thats how far they have to shoot? the ten meters? --- Oh Never mind....

8:57 AM  
Blogger Ross said...

Oh, ummmmm.....I'm not very observant.

10:49 PM  
Blogger mmyers said...

The thing that fascinates me about some of the 'fringe sports' is that somewhere someone blew out there knee and couldn't be in the ping-pong event or whatever and then they'll spend the rest of their lives getting drunk because of it. But hey, whatever gets ya drunk.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home