Sunday, August 17, 2008

I Shaved


With a beard, I think I sort of look East Village writer-y, like I've lived over a bar for ten years and probably smell like Old Spice and the cheapest whiskey a stolen ten dollar bill can buy. That sort of image fits well with my idealized, Tom Waits sense of self, even though it's not even true by half. So when I have to shave, because it gets too itchy or I have a job interview or something, it's totally the death of a fantasy. Me without a beard isn't anyone's idea of Bowery cool. My bare-faced self is a pair of chunky-framed glasses away from being a serial killer, but one that is so powerfully dorky, he suffocates his victims with the uncool vapors that waft from his body like the mists of Avalon. Imagine if the dude who shot John Lennon was really into They Might Be Giants, or if John Wayne Gacy wrote a lot of Stargate: Atlantis fan-fiction, or if the BTK Killer was SO into The Fantastic Four, The Fantastic Four came to life and told him to chill because he was creeping them all out. Even Ben Grimm, who's basically just made out of rocks, and do you have ANY idea how hard it is to creep out fucking ROCKS. Way hard, kids... way hard.
Anyway, my point is that all of those guys are me when I shave. Also, it should be noted that without a beard, I look twelve and sad. Like I just got carded at a Denny's or something.
UPDATE: I just realized that I'm wearing the same shirt in the picture above as I am in my profile picture. That's a special kind of blogger-centric tragic that makes plants die and butterflies burst into flames in midair. At least I had the good sense to put my juice box down before I got all crazy with the webcam. BUT STILL.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ross said...

Noooo. The shaved face is SEXY!

9:14 PM  
Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

What'd the girlfriend say? Yes, you do look cardable, which isn't a bad thing. Are you going to update the About Me pic? I say leave it for all prosperity.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Bill From Gainesville said...

I think the baby face works for you big guy......

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lack of beard isn't bad at all.

Now that ominous blue glow reflecting off your grill? That's kinda eerie.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

I'm SO using this picture on my eHarmony page...

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girlfriend just feeds Clint his pureed carrots and makes Elmo voices.

Here comes the choo-choo, open your mouth!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Liöüx said...

Now that you seemed to have mastered shaving your face, Clinton, we should really talk about the joys of manscaping.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Hex said...

..Looks like somebody lost a bet

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home