Friday, June 20, 2008

Texas Chain Saw, You've Massacred My Heart



I showed my cousin The Texas Chain Saw Massacre last night and, as is de rigueur for being fourteen and seeing that movie for the first time, his mind was blown clear across the room like patio furniture in the eye of a hurricane. And it was a fun experience for me, too... I've seen said movie, at last count, eleventy billion times and even though it occupies a high spot on my vaunted, holy Top Ten, there's no getting around the fact that you can only watch a chick get chased by an other-people's-face-wearing maniac so many times before it all loses some of it's punch or pizazz or electric boogaloo. But seeing it with my cousin, who is the same age I was when I got my first taste of Leatherface and his assorted, homicidal relatives, well, it was like being reborn into a wonderful world of brain-melting terror and throat-closing fear and things that go bump in the night... right before they impale you on a meat hook.

And I love it when that happens; when the old becomes sparkly fresh and new. It's like Springtime, but with classic 70s horror instead of trees and animals fucking and all that bullshit.

Anyway, I guess my point is this: Texas Chain Saw Massacre rocks, still and for always. See it again... for the first time!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, they used to really know how to do scare-the-fucking-pants-off-you horror. Now, you just get horrible movies about some lame ass ghosty who kills people when they listen to the wrong song on their iPod and shit. How can that ever compare to, say, "Let Jesus fuck you! Let Jesus fuck you!"?

10:13 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

...and it's been added to my Netflix account!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Jason Quinones said...

somewhere there's a hollywood exec reading this and saying...

"a ghost in your ipod that kills you? hhmmmm.....that sounds like a block buster to me! we got your endorsement deals tied right in already, the tweens'll eat that shit up, we'll get distrurbed(that craptastic "metal" band! on the soundtrack, it's like money coming straight outta my ass this is so good!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With you in spirit, but for me my all-time favorite horror is the first _Alien_. About 20 times at last count.

Cool pic of Leatherface, tho.

Cheers,
SA

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I JUST saw that movie for the first time. It horrified me. I loved it.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Alienwhere said...

Definitely in my top 10. No doubt. The pinnacle of horror movie making. And the fact that it ISN'T in digital make-your-brain-melt HD is what makes it even scarier. Film grain adds so much to the experience...

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The eye of a hurican is pretty calm.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home