Monday, April 07, 2008

Charlton Heston: Dead



Totally forgot about this, but yeah...

Can't say I agreed with the man's politics, but hey, dude was an old-school actor who always brought the over-the-top, slightly-cheesy goods. Planet of the Apes kicked ass, then and now, and Ben-Hur is totally fun if you like big, dinosaur-sized epics like they don't make any more.

But I think I'll best remember him for a certain cameo in a certain sequel that proved ol' C-Hest (his street name) could hang with the cool kids, should the need arise:



Gotta love that, no matter what you think of him and his legacy on or off the screen.

Speaking of... I'm sure a lot of people are rippin' on him today, but... I don't know... I guess I've gotten to the point where I no longer have the energy for that particular brand of snark. Maybe it's because I've been dealing with the respective death and illnesses of the elderly people in my life (as my now-deceased grandfather used to say, "getting old is a bitch"). Maybe it's because I'm "mature," which is just totally gross and too scary to think about. But whatever the reason, I'm going to stay out of that quagmire; it's much nicer up here on my high horse. No, I don't like what he stood for. But so what? He probably wouldn't have liked what I stand for either. And... as I mentioned... he's dead. So what's the point of being mean now? Like any of that matters in the end.

Anyway, now that I've made Charlton Heston's death all about me, I guess that's all I've got to say.

Rest in peace, you old hambone.

UPDATE: How in the hell did I forget to mention Soylent Green? It's become a bit of a punchline these days, but that flick is still a wicked-good slice of science fiction.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jason Quinones said...

YOINK!

that's the sound of me taking your gun from your cold dead hand bitch!

i'm not as mature. or original. i'm sure that joke's about as fresh as charlton heston.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jason Quinones said...

p.s.- you mean to tell me everything isn't about you???

1:44 PM  
Blogger Liöüx said...

I think I originally came across this news while internetting over the weekend.

R.I.P CH!

R.I.P.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jason... Of course everything's about me, but I have to act all whatever about it like I don't know. Otherwise, I'll look like an asshole.

Lioux... Yeah, I read about it this weekend too, but I kinda forgot until a couple of hours ago. Alcohol will do that to a brain.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may not agree with all his politics, but here are some of his thoughts that I hope resonate. It his address to Harvard Law School in 1999.

http://www.nrawinningteam.com/harvard.html

2:13 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

No, totally... that's a great speech; I've read that at some point in the past. That's one of the reasons that I feel like piling on the guy is the wrong move; there's a lot more to him than the stuff shown in Bowling For Columbine.

That stuff's there too, of course, but... as if so often the case... that's not the whole story.

Really, though, I'm so not interested in getting political here (in fact, I hesistated in even bringing his death up). I just wanted to say that I liked his movies.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

I agree. I think arguing his politics would've been appropriate a few years ago, but the dude just died of Alzheimer's.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Liöüx said...

You know, Jason Quinones, everytime I see your avatar, I get this sudden compulsion to play Milton Bradley®™©™'s Operation®™©™.

I Love, Love, Love that game.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Jason Quinones said...

lioux- um...thanks man. glad i can make ya happy!

so long as it stays "operation:the game" happy and not "hey everybdy! let's try and dig out jason's heart with a tiny pair of plastic tweezers!" happy!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Forgot about this happening too.

Good post about him.

Thanks for the memories CH!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home