Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I Was Racially Profiled

Well, sort of.

Okay, not really, but I wanted an attention-grabbing headline for this post that was at least somewhat related to the topic and that's what I came up with. Cut me some slack, I'm so hungover it feels like I have brain damage.

Anyway, here's what happened...

There's this stuff called Licor 43 that a friend of Girlfriend and I really digs. It's a very sweet, Spanish liqueur, it tastes good with milk (really!) and it looks exactly like this:


The thing that you need to know about Licor 43 is that it is, apparently, quite popular with the Latino community. No, I don't know why. I guess because it's from Spain, or whatever. Not the point; just know that it's popular with Latinos, because it's going to come up again in a minute.

So I'm out yesterday looking for a bottle for us to give to our friend as a present and I had this exact conversation with the employee at the liquor store by my job...
NOTE: For maximum effect, please imagine the liquor store clerk's lines being said in a thick, Speedy-Gonzales-by-way-of-Death-Row-Records accent.
C-dog: Excuse me, do you guys carry Licor 43?
Liquor Store Clerk: We do, but we're all out.
C-dog: Ah, I see. Do you know where I can find any in the area?
LSC: Some stores have it and some stores don't.
C-dog: Okay, well thanks...
LSC: What's a white boy like you want with the 43?
(a shocked pause)
C-dog: It's... uh... for a friend.
(another pause while he considers this)
LSC: Oh... okay...
So yeah... I feel like I really understand the minority experience in America now. Except, you know, not at all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Shain said...

cracker!

12:16 PM  
Blogger roslyn said...

i think the west coast equivalent of liquor 43 and milk is southern comfort and horchata.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Ross said...

You should have told him that you wanted to get in touch with your Latin roots.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Oh my God!!

43 is my FAVorite! Love love love it...so much so that we are never allowed to have it in the house.

It is probably a good decision.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Hmm.

I'm Latino and have never heard of it.

And I'm a raging alcoholic.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

I called Al Sharpton for you, but they transfered me to his voice mail.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home