Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Okay, I Lied...

Apparently, blogging is a lot like smoking unfiltered Lucky Strikes. Sure, you can try to stop for a little while; you can pretend you're happy chewing your way through pack after pack of Juicy Fruit, telling everyone that quitting is easy and you don't know what all those whiners were on about, but... but... after a little while, the need shows up. It gnaws at you, feels like a mess of cockroaches are swarming just beneath the surface of your skin. Your hands shake, you bowels clench, your brain begins to play tricks on you ("Hey Dad, is great to blog you!. I mean 'see' you. How bloggy of me. Blog... blog... bloggity blog blogblogblogblogblog!!!!"). Soon, you're overtaken by the urge to rip open a fresh packet of blogs and light one up, to inhale it's heady, dangerous smoke, to exhale it with a level of pleasure unmatched by even the moistest and most acrobatic of sexual encounters.

The blogging addiction claims another victim, a fact that will eventually lead to my death from whatever the equivalent of lung cancer would be in this painfully extended metaphor.

So... yes, the reason I was on a "bloggin' break," as it were, is that I'm currently home in the great state of Texas; my grandmother died over the weekend and I'm hear to attend the funeral, obviously, but also to hang out with my father who's having a bit of a difficult time coping with the fact that he's now the oldest and "adultiest" member of that side of the family. Because we're Davis men, our version of coping mainly consists of drinking a lot and eating as many Whataburgers as we can fit into our persons before our stomachs explode like that guy in the beginning of Seven, but hey... as Mr. Lennon said, whatever gets you through the night.

No joke, it's been a rough couple of days... I don't handle change well in general and you can extrapolate that out to it's logical conclusion with regards to how well I'd handle the death of a loved one. We were close, my Grandmother and I, and her dying is, to put it as mildly as one possibly can, a total bummer. Which is not to say that it was unexpected or anything... we knew it was coming and we'd readied ourselves to weather the storm, but still. Bracing for the impact doesn't necessarily make getting run over by a garbage truck any easier.

Anyway, that's what's going on in my life at the moment. Big fun, big fun. Knowing me, I'll probably post some more this week (even though I said I wasn't going to, which we discussed), but I am going to be pretty busy, so who knows? Certainly not me. So I guess I'll just say that I'll see you again when the need comes back.

Until then, much love from Texas.

14 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

Ohh. I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences.

(And I too have the blogging fever.)

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, poor cdawg. I'm sorry. You know the best remedy for grief? Yep, Whataburgers. And lots of 'em.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jonathan T said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I also lost my paternal grandmother last weekend and went to the funeral in Texarkana, TX.
My best coping strategies was to visit with the cousins and family who I don't really ever see. It sucks to have to play "10-year-catch-up" with family at a cemetery, but you make the best of it.

5:52 PM  
Blogger blythe said...

oh damn. that sucks. but it's so great you could make it home to be with your dad and the rest. it'll mean so much. just be careful getting back through all of the storms! you can always chill with my fam in the OK if you need to!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C-dawg -- while you are in Texas, DO NOT BRING THAT GUY WATER. For real. I know you will wake up in the middle of the night thinking it's a good idea, but it's a really, really terrible idea. Seriously. DO NOT BRING THAT GUY WATER IN TEXAS.

I have your best interests at heart, buddy.

9:19 PM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

Aw. I'm sorry for your loss, Clinton.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Thanks, everyone, for the various condolencese (if that's how you spell that word; I'm kind of drunk).

Stew... This guy with a cattle stun-gun has been hanging around lately. He's probably cool, right?

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Do you drink Big Red when you are back home?

1:49 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Ew, no. Big Red is grody, though I did have an old girlfriend who pretty much lived on the stuff. For me, though... blech.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I'm so sorry, Clinton. You've got a drink on me when you get back in town.

12:17 PM  
Blogger i i eee said...

Even if a death is expected, it still hits one pretty hard. Take care.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

My condolences.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, yeah, no THAT guy's awesome, You should totally hang out with him.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home