Sunday, December 02, 2007

Snow!

So yesterday, Brooklyn, as well as the other four boroughs, experienced it's first big, spectacular, exciting, East Coast-y, snowfall of the Winter season!!! Check it out:



Yep... had us some snow! A heap of snow, even! Tons... so much... snow...

Alright, perhaps this picture is a bit misleading... you could even say that this picture is downright false and... um... you could also make a case that it's just something that I found on the internet after Googling the phrase, "heavy snow" and doesn't technically reflect the actual amount of snowfall that we got in the area. But hey, it's not like this is the first time I've ever lied to you with pictures (I'm actually a 6'8" black guy named Stefan). In all honesty, we only got a little bit of snow and it didn't really even stick. Meh.

But whatever, the point is that it snowed, finally, here in New York and I'm so excited about it, it's all I can do to keep myself from dancing through my apartment like Kevin Bacon in Footloose while shouting, "Snowsnowsnowsnowsnowsnow WHEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

What can I say... I love the snow. It's probably because I grew up in Texas and, thus, before I moved to New York, I had previously seen snow exactly seven times before. And five of those times were on family trips in Colorado, where it doesn't count because that place is all about snow. I don't think it ever stops snowing in Colorado, truthfully, and that must be totally awesome. Because snow is awesome.

My enthusiasm for the snow knows no bounds and, truthfully, there are some people who don't care for this particular quirk of my personality. I'm not naming names or anything, but let's just say she pays half the rent and is from Upstate NY, which is just as lousy with snow as Colorado. Consequently, snow isn't a big deal to people who grew up there (apparently); in fact, they find snow to be irritating and an inconvenience.

Pshaw, I say. PSHAW!!!

Snow is pretty! And Christmas-y, just like in the movies! It's Mother Nature's freezing-cold magic sprinkles and it turns gloomy weekends into Holiday parties where everyone is wearing mittens and drinking hot chocolate out of big, ceramic mugs! Hooray for snow! HOORAY!!!

NOTE: Please understand that, after the excitement of the snowfall has worn off and everything is all wet and sludgy and I get snow in my boot one day and have to walk around with wet socks, I reserve the right to change the opinion of snow that I've expressed in this post.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love snow, too! It makes me happy! It makes me kick up my heels in a snappy dance move like Gene Kelly or something, which I really can't even do. I'd rather watch snow than TV, no lie. I love snow. Snow, snow, snow!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Cray said...

Hey, we actually got snow here in my part of Texas last weekend. Big, fat snow mixed with sleet, rain, and just a hint of nutmeg.

Very magical.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Stew... Word to that!

Cray... That sounds delicious! Seriously though, in the five or so years that I've not lived there, it's snowed more in Texas than it did during my entire childhood. It's like the snow was waiting for me to leave.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

You got a lot more snow in Bay Ridge than we did in Park Slope. Must have something to do with your closer proximity to the water.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the one and only time I've ever been to Colorado was in the summer, and they were in the middle of a drought, and I didn't get to see any snow. :( Not even on top of Pike's Peak! What a bummer.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

I grew up with snow my whole life and still get way too excited about it.
Unfortch, I think the last time it snowed round these parts I"m in now was the 60s...so y'all better line up some snow when I'm back home in Dec/Jan.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

On behalf of Colorado, I must say, yes it snows a lot IN THE MOUNTAINS.

Earliest snow has been in September, and latest snow has occurred in June.

In Denver however, since we sit up against the mountains, we're protected from constant snow.

But when we do get hammered, it's big time.

And yes, we find it annoying, especially those of us who don't ski.

Today and tomorrow it's actually supposed to hit 70[!].

5:28 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jeff... Sounds reasonable.

Giggleloop... I've been to CO a few times during the summer as well and, yeah... it's just not the same.

Colleen... I'll talk to this guy I know who can control the weather. He can also get you cheap tickets to Broadway shows, too.

Big Daddy... Is not being a skier in Colorado the same as not being someone who can ride a horse in Texas?

6:17 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Yep, or like someone from Miami who never goes to the beach.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Man, I miss snow...

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home