Friday, May 25, 2007

30 Years Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away...

UPDATE: For your viewing pleasure...



---------------------------------------------------------




Ahem...

(singing)

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday, dear Greatest Movie Of All Time Ever
Happy birthday to YOOOOOOOOU!!!!!!

I tell ya, they grow up so fast. Seems like only yesterday that I was an incredibly nerdy teenager sitting in my mother's living room with my friend Alan, both of us out of our minds on soda and Doritos, reciting the dialogue along with the movie and cracking each other up with hilarious Wookie jokes. But time marches on, as they say; Alan's got a kid now (sadly, he was not allowed to name it Luke) and I no longer live with my parents. I've got my own living room to be a total dork in, and when I'm out of my mind on something, it's usually liquor. Okay, Doritos still factor in too.

The movie, though... the movie stays the same. Well, except for all of the CGI bullshit that George Lucas put into it that made it a lesser entity than it was in it's original, un-fucked with incarnation. But whatever. Thankfully, that particular national nightmare is now over, what with the release of the 70's theatrical versions on DVD and all.

So let's all take a minute today to ponder the significance of Star Wars; how it's affected us, how it's changed us, how it's made it so women don't want to engage us in conversation for fear that we'll start talking about Banthas and Jawas and Grand Moff Tarkin. Today, above all else, let's honor it's memory.

So may the Force be with you always, Star Wars; know for sure that this Red Five will forever be standing by.


P.S. The new trilogy blows!

15 Comments:

Blogger lioux said...

Oh. Em. Gee.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STAR WARS®™©™!!!

Coincidentally, my band Sister Kisser®™©™ is playing "New Hope" PA tonight.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beep Boop Boop Beep Beep Beep Bloop Whistle Chirp Whirrr.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Lioux... That's AWESOME!!! At the end of your show, you should blow up the Death Star.

R2D2... I've just about had enough of you. Go that way. You'll be malfunctioning within a day, you near-sighted scrap pile. And don't let me catch you following me begging for help because you won't get it.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eh Chu ta

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How rude!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would really love to sit here and talk about my fond memories of watching Star Wars and how I truly thought it changed my life.....

But I just dont get it. Is that wrong? I have seen all six films at least twice (thinking that I somehow missed all the "awesome" parts)and for some reason I just cant appreciate them.

Am I a bad child of the 80's? I played with my rubix cube, ate my Happy Meals, owned every He-Man and Transformer available, and cried at the end of ET. Why don't I get Star Wars???

10:23 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I think it has to do with whether or not you grew up with it from an early age or not.

I was started on them when I was like five or something. Ergo, huge nerd.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It’s how I recall my HS years. Empire = Freshman. The wilderness years with only Splinters of the Minds Eye to keep me company. No videos, no DVD’s. Maybe I should be called the empty years. Return = Senior.

11:19 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Hey Clinton, have you ever seen this?

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gungans have grand army. That's why you no liking us meesa thinks.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ootinii! *shakes fists in the air*

3:03 PM  
Blogger FrancesDanger said...

I know that the sand people are actually Tuscan Raiders and I can't stop myself from waving my hand in front of any automatic towel dispenser and saying "These are not the droids you're looking for."

I'm not getting any either.

8:58 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

rob, joe, billy r (who was wasted on acid..bad move billy!)and i. in line for three hours for tickets, then in line for two to get in.

okay, i was in line..they were doing lord knows what. leaving school to go see it, one of us old enough to drive.

century 21 theater in denver.

we was stunned.

i remember looking over, and rob's hand was half way to his mouth for minutes with popcorn in it...

THAT was seeing star wars, kiddos...that was seeing star wars.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born in December '77, so therefore I didn't Star Wars in the theater -- however! I do distinctly recall that my first memory of seeing a movie with my parents was seeing The Empire Strikes Back, at the Granada Theater in south St. Louis. :)

Good lord, I just realized that Star Wars is 30... and that means in December I'm going to be 30. *shudder*

10:13 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

I remember seeing Star Wars®™©™ for the first time at a Drive In theatre.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home