Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rubix Cool

Not to sound like a 13-year-old girl or anything, but OMIGOD!!! On my subway ride into work, I watched this Japanese B-boy kid solve, re-scramble and solve a Rubix Cube five fucking times!!!

His hands flew around like they were some sort of kooky, puzzle-solving birds. His focus never broke, not when the smelly homeless guy sat down next to him, not when the train lurched forward, not at all. I'm pretty sure a drag queen could have sat on his lap and started singing a medley of tunes from 42nd Street and this kid wouldn't have broken his stride.

Seriously, It was awesome; like having my own personal episode of That's Incredible sitting four feet across from me. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only person on the train watching him, either. He was like a mystical shaman wearing a trucker hat, a holy man with a love of old-school hip-hop, a sensei in high-top sneakers.

And I was in awe of his mental might and power. Remember, I'm the guy who has yet to figure out how to play a game of Yahtzee. Look, what I'm trying to say is, it was a magical moment for me and I hope all of you get to witness such expert 80's novelty handling in the very near future.

Oh, also, there was a tranny on my train and he/she looked like absolute hell.

So that was my late-morning commute, in a nutshell.

14 Comments:

Blogger lioux said...

AWESOME!!!

I think the closest I ever came to solving The Cube®™©™ was getting two sides of the colors.

Mostly.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

That's even beyond me. I usually fiddle with it for about five minute, then I fling it at the wall in disgust. Then I start drinking.

2:02 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

OMG!!!

What would you do if you were bad at drinking?!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Die. Or, I don't know, get a hobby or something. Collecting photos of rare butterflies, maybe?

2:13 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

I'll bet Japanese B-boy would TOTALLY be impressed by how much you could drink on a late-morning commute.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I'm known throughout the Japanese B-boy community as an amazing drinker.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I used to "solve" the rubik's cube by pulling the pieces off and reassembling them in the correct order.

4:04 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

Yes, Jeff.

It's sooo much easier solving it that way than by removing the stickers and reapplying them.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Lioux, those damn stickers loose their stickiness if you do that too often.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Jeff & Lioux... CHEATERS!!! Japanese B-boy laughs at you!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Jeez, why doesn't that kid just turn into a robot?

5:27 PM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

Who does know how to play yahtzee?

-Jew

2:18 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Japanese B Boy was on 'Beauty And The Geek'!

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to rain on your he’s a whiz parade but if you learn a few standard moves the puzzle is easy to solve. I’m sure even MM could do it with his pudgy little fingers. Not to say it is not impressive to do it in a few seconds I guess that would be something to see.

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home