Monday, January 08, 2007

2007 Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

R.E.M.

I'm a notoriously committed R.E.M apologist from way back, so you can imagine how pleased their induction to this essentially meaningless institution makes me feel. While never my "favorite band," they've always remained a consistent presence on the soundtrack of my life, particularly their earlier stuff. Lately, they've aped a bit too much of Radiohead's style for my taste and their last album, whatever it was called, was pretty much unlistenable, but who cares? For "Murmur" alone, they deserve to be here.

Patti Smith

Smith is one of those artists that I just never got. I liked her version of "Because the Night" and everything, but there just never seemed to be any particularly special quality about her that wasn't also possessed by countless other female East Village musician/artists from the 70's. However, I recognize that I'm one of the few people that feel that way so, majority rules, I guess.

The Ronettes

The obligatory 60's girl-group entry. I'm sure they're a fine representation of what the whole girl-group sound is all about, but I had to look them up on Google to see which songs they'd done.

Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five

I know absolutely nothing about hip-hop, but I have heard the name before. Based on that, I'd say that this is probably an excellent entry.

Van Halen

Seriously? Okay, maybe... maybe... I could see them getting in for their years when David Lee Roth was the front man, and also Eddie Van Halen is a legendary guitar player, but... seriously? Their music took a major dip when Sammy Hagar joined up (both times) and the less said about Gary Cherone, the better. This only adds more fuel to the "inductions are made based on album sales alone, regardless of musical content" fire. And what's especially maddening is that they were inducted this year over a couple of stellar, much-more-deserving, nominees...

The "It's an honor just to be nominated" Bands

The Dave Clark Five I don't really care about and I've never even heard of Chic, but the fact that Van Halen were inducted over The Stooges and Joe Tex is a crime on par with Dances With Wolves beating out Goodfellas for Best Picture. The Stooges in general, and Iggy Pop specifically, were a corner stone of the punk music scene at least equalled to Patti Smith. And Joe Tex... Jesus... he's going to forever remain the most under-appreciated soul singer of the 70's. Give his album "Soul Country" a listen and if it doesn't become an instant favorite, well then, you can feel free to listen to all the Van Halen you can handle. You deserve it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Anthony said...

I wish the nominee was oficially "Van Halen 1979-1984". I love Van Halen, but when Sammy Hagar came in it was like they were a new, crappy band.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Eddie Van Halen stopped ripping on guitar in favor of extended key board solos, Van Halen took a nose dive. I think I lost my virginity to Fair Warning, though.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

That's funny, I lost my virginity to a girl.

OOOOOHH, SNAP!!!!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to say the 45.

You see, because the hole is bigger...ah snip it.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home