Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Pursuit of Happyness

Saw the new Will Smith movie The Pursuit of Happyness today.

It was good, if not entirely draining, and Smith was the best I've ever seen him in a movie where he's not punching an alien in the face. I'll admit (but only to you, because I trust you not to tell everyone) that I teared up and even wept manly, manly tears. Though I was not the only one. At the finale, the film's audio was nearly drowned out by the entire audience's sniffling, scrambling for tissues, sobbing, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It's a bit of a rough ride, to be sure. My girlfriend likened it to The Passion of the Christ in the sense that, after two hours of watching horrible things happening to the main character, you become numb and exhausted. Also, Will Smith is crucified at the end which, honestly, I didn't see coming.

Anyway, it's a fine movie and Will Smith is pretty damn fantastic in it. I whole-heartedly recommend The Pursuit of Happyness, but only if you're cool with everyone in the theater seeing you cry like a colicky newborn. Because you will. Otherwise, you have no soul. Well, either that or just not a great big girl such as myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home