Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Two Weeks

After months of thinking about it and chewing on it and letting it keep me up nights and metaphorically lightsaber dueling with it on the nearly completed second Death Star of my mind, I have finally... FINALLY... decided to quit my job.

In fact, I just did. Like, five minutes ago. I went in, sat down, and said enough is ENOUGH! And then I trashed the place and set all the plants on fire and... okay, well actually my bosses and I just talked quietly for a minute, and then I went back to my cube. To tell you the truth, it was a little anti-climactic. All weekend, I'd been gearing up for a fight; things have been rocky here the last couple of months, with all the headbutting with management and veiled threats in the office coffee lounge that that implies, and, frankly, I'd expected my resignation to cause a little more drama. Hurled invective, tears of rage, maybe even a drawn knife or two like when they killed Caesar. But, much to my surprise, they were nice about it. They said to me, "C-dog, you obviously weren't happy here and we're glad you made the decision on your own to leave." The underlying sentiment there is, of course, "we're glad we didn't have to make the decision FOR you," but still. They could have been dicks about it. They were SO nice about it, in fact, that I couldn't even rip them a new one (as planned) about the state of their union, as it were. We all just kind of smiled and shook hands and no one even flipped anyone else off. WEIRD.

But in the end, it's for the best. Like a good relationship that turned sour, we're both walking away wiser, tougher, and with the absolute minimum of disfiguring scars. It's the very definition of "cutting our losses" and, truthfully, I don't even feel like slagging them off in this lovely, pleasant-smelling public forum. Which blows my mind, seeing as how that's kind of what I sat down here to write. But, no. It's good to not be "that guy" about it. I had some legitimate beefs with regards to how this company has been run, and I was treated poorly by management besides, but in the end, what will me bitching and moaning about it accomplish? Nothing, save for making me look like a petty doofus with a pile of axes awaiting their grind.

So, instead of dwelling on the past, let's look towards... THE FUTURE!!!

Exciting! Also terrifying. I've got a few things in the pipe, employment-wise, but nothing is 100% secure. I've gotten signed up with an extremely good temp agency (btw, TOTALLY aced the office proficiency exam I had to take when I signed up; guess I have been paying attention here), I've got a couple of good leads for actual, non-temporary jobs, plus I've got the love and support of a good woman behind me, should I accidentally stumble into a life of crime. I'll weather this, is what I guess I'm saying. It won't be easy; in fact, there's every chance in the world that it's going to be a bit of a motherfucker. But I'll make it. Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride, nobody gonna slow me down, oh no, I got to keep on movin'.

So yeah, I guess that's it. I'll keep you posted on any further developments in the Life O' Me. I know you're just so fucking fascinated. As for how this will affect ZFS!...? Um, I don't know, to tell you the truth. It probably won't really change much of anything. Then again, depending where I land, the posting schedule (which has always been a tenuous thing at best) may get all scrambled around. But whatever the case, rest assured that the content will continue. Whether that's a good thing or not is, I suppose, a matter of personal opinion. Whatever, though, we'll take it all as it comes. It'll certainly be interesting, however it happens to go down.

HAPPY JOB-QUITTING DAY, EVERYBODY!!!

18 Comments:

Blogger The Unbearable Banishment said...

Some advice from an oldster: don’t burn any bridges. As tempting as it may be to unload, don’t do it. I wish I had a big bag of money I could send you so you could write full time.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Bethie said...

Congrats! I admire your decision and the cajones it took to put it into action. Good luck with whatever comes next...

9:31 AM  
Blogger Subway Gal said...

Congrats!!!!! It sounds like it was a good job breakup and now you can enjoy the benefits of unemployment (sleeping all day, drinking all day, not showering or brushing your teeth, etc etc) until you find a new permanent job.

10:27 AM  
Blogger stew said...

awesome! onward and upward. This all sounds really mature (uh, do I have the right blog here????). It'll be fine.

Regarding that life of crime thing, if that pans out, give me a call. I've been wanting to try that but it feels like the whole crime game is sort of hard to get into, like you gotta know people and be able to call them by their crime nicknames and know their crime handshakes and stuff. Maybe I could be your crime assistant till I get comfortable or something.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Liöüx said...

YAY, YOU!!!

How is Office/Cubicle Mate Andrew handling the news?

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've had dreams of writing a similar post....sigh.

my day will come someday

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! Stew is right, you're really super mature about this whole thing. Ya poop head.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm de-lurking to say congratulations! The day I put in my notice at my last job was seconded ONLY by my walking out of the building on my last day, getting into my car, and driving away for good. It felt freaking awesome. I'm very happy for you. :)

1:49 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

UB... Nope, no burning bridges here. I think I've finally learned that that's not the way to go. I will, however, be burning my cubicle down to the FUCKING GROUND. As that is how I roll.

Beth... It has less to do with cajones and more to do with the fact that I probably would have gotten fired from this place before too long, but still. Thanks!!!

Subway... Haha I drink all day, and never shower or brush my teeth anyway (I'm gross!), so I guess I'll just be adding a bounty of sleep to my lifestyle. Cool!

Stew... I know, right? I don't even know who I am anymore. As for the life of crime, how are you at robbing liquor stores? Not for the register, though... for the liquor.

Lioux... He knew it was coming, but was sad nonetheless. No one should be without a daily dose of C-dog, O-M Andrew especially.

Wish... Don't stop believen', dude.

Girlfriend... Poop! And thanks, baby. You're the one keeping this ship on course.

Towr... Thanks for de-lurking, dude. Appreciate the sentiments and, believe me, am right there with you. Feeling pretty damn good today. Don't be a stranger!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Bill From Gainesville said...

C-DOG -- Happy Job Quitting Day to you and I am sorry I didnt get you a card!!!

8:41 PM  
Blogger TFKoP said...

Hey, I didn't see this holiday listed on my 2008 Spam Calendar! H

Is there some sort of beer drinking associated with this event?

If so, I want to start preparing for next year's celebration...

(PS Congrats and good luck).

TFKoP

8:45 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Bill... It's cool, I didn't get you a card for Being Bill Is Awesome Day. But I heard all the BBQ was delicious.

Tfkop... You know what, no beer. Lots of vodka though, as that's what I had in the house. Feeling a little woozy due to same. Also, Spam Calander? Is that a calander that commemorates notable moments in the history of Spam, or is it a calander MADE of Spam? I need to know.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Ross said...

Dang. I just read your post tonight, or I would have quit my job today to celebrate the occasion. I guess I have to wait until you quit your next job.

11:04 PM  
Blogger TFKoP said...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=spam+calendar&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1148759501&ref=pd_sl_626e2zbxnc_b

but a calendar made of Spam would be interesting too....i suppose.

TFKoP

2:12 PM  
Blogger mmyers said...

You are an inspiration to as all. I'm targeting a quit date myself, then it's time to be a trophy husband. Hells yeah.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Congrats buddy!

11:04 PM  
Blogger Digital Fortress said...

Congrats and good luck!

12:02 AM  
Blogger blythe said...

yay! it's gonna feel so great until your fourth day of official unemployment. then it all goes to shit. the good thing is, you can save money on tivo, since you're actually at home to watch all of your shows. i kid. life is short. be happiest as you can.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home