Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Deliberately Going The Other Way

I'm sure you're aware by now that Weezer, that venerable geek rock band of our collective youth, has put out a new video that has just blown up banana bonkers all over the internet. Lots of people are talking about, writing blogs about it, posting it on their websites and spreading it around like mononucleosis at a high school dance.

And, no doubt, it's a good video. Catchy song, clever (well... cute, anyway) premise, and Rivers Cuomo sports a mean 'stache throughout. All in all, an enjoyable few minutes with a band we all generally like.

However, this is not a post about that video. Nope. Why? Because we here at ZFS! don't believe in posting the "hot, new thing." We are not sheep, despite our soft and fluffy appearance. We're about many things around this here blog... eating strange foods, talking smart about pants, telling movie poster designers where to get off, etc... but above all else (for the purposes of this post) we are about identifying the direction in which the current, pop cultural waters are flowing and then deliberately going the other way. Call us rebels, call us trailblazers, call us willfully obsolete in the face of overwhelming indifference. We don't care. God, we're so bad ass.

NOTE: Also, not a "we." C-dog stands alone.

And so, all that being what it is, I feel that it's my duty to bring you NOT the latest, hip-tacular video from Weezer, but to bring you instead their least successful, most unloved video of all time!!!

I am mixing shit up like a ninja blender. So here now, the biggest non-hit single Weezer ever produced. Listen as the world shrugs along with the beat:

"El Scorcho" by Weezer



Now, personally, I prefer this song to anything off of, say, "Maladroit." "Pinkerton" in general was pretty underrated, mainly because it wasn't ever judged on it's own merits. It wasn't The Blue Album, thus it was unworthy. At least amongst the circle of friends I ran with in the late 90s. Maybe your friends were more forward thinking than mine. And hopefully they were more attractive.

Anyway, enjoy the irrelevance.

13 Comments:

Blogger quin browne said...

who are these people?

10:37 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

hippies

10:48 AM  
Blogger Ben K. said...

Pinkerton: Best Weezer album. Hands down.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Bill From Gainesville said...

I have to confess to you Clinton, my internet friend, I have no idea who weezer is, in fact its a flaw of my character that I am not one of those Music People at all, I mean sure I can sing some mean Billy Joel balads and Bob Seger is like my dad, so maybe if Weezer is as good as those guys in twenty years or so I will be on board, but by then some other band will be the IN crowd. My music life lags twenty years late.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

Wait, I'm a fan of hippies? Aw nuts.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anytime i see this song on a jukebox at a bar i immediately put it on. its a great drunken sing along

i've actually been asked more than once if it was the "new" weezer song.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Ben... My first instinct is to say that Pinkerton is 2nd only to The Blue Album, but thinking back on it now... I actually haven't listened to all of Pinkerton in a long-ass time. I think that might be my goal for today.

Bill... It's all good, dude. I tend to be about five years late on what's hip myself.

Todd... No, Todd. Hippies are a fan of YOU. (also midgets)

Wishmewell... That's what's so funny about "El Scorcho." It was actually released on the radio and I think the video was in mild rotation over at MTV and yet NO ONE has heard of it, outside of we true believers. It's like the song pop culture forgot.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I think the Blue Album is better all around, but this is still pretty good. I don't have their first CD any longer, but I was using Pinkerton as part of The Boy's musical education a couple weeks ago.

I also have a copy of their playlist from when I saw them on the Pinkerton tour. I had to kick this 5 foot chick's ass to get it when they threw in into the crowd after the show.

She put up a good fight, though. But I'm just too damned hard core.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Lestlie Berryhill said...

It's awesome that you're doing a Tribute to Weez (and pre-stache Rivers). I've been listening to Pinkerton on loop on my iPod for days now, gearing up for The Most Awesome Summer Ever (part 2).

I just wonder if they'll sing El Scorcho on this tour now that Rivers actually HAS a half-Japanese girl. (The last tour was the first time ES was played live since the Pinkerton tour...and I got to witness it three times...sigh...)

1:57 PM  
Blogger Lestlie Berryhill said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Justin... Niiice. Kick her ass! Yeah, I saw them a while ago on some tour or another, but it was in during my heavy drinking days and so I don't remember a lot of the details. Probably should have stolen a playlist, that being the case.

Lestlie... I kinda wish he's shave the 'stache. It's rocking, yes, but it's almost TOO ironic for words.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

'El Scorcho' and Beverly Hills are prolly my fave Weezer songs!

Although I have been semi-following them since the time I saw them on the promo tour for 'The Blue Album'.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had they changed the album name to something other than Pinkerton, it would have done so much better - they lost the court case to the Pinkerton Detective people.

Darn shame.

As a Weezer geek, EVERY Weezer album is in the best.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home