Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'm Not A Music Geek, I'm A 16 Year Old Girl

I would never claim to be the hardcoriest of hardcore music geeks or anything, but... you know... I've worked in record stores and I've half-assedly collected vinyl and I've had long conversations about Sonic Youth and Xiu Xiu and The Fall and Captain Beefheart and all the other bands loved by nerds in thick glasses. I've walked that walk. But I can never truly call myself one amongst their number.

Why? Because more often than not, my favorite song at any given time is something like this:

"Our Song" by Taylor Swift

Now, granted, the video is borderline unwatchable. All candy-colored and nausea-inducing with the cuts and the swoops and the girl all plastic-y looking (which is a shame because I've seen her on talk shows and she's actually quite pretty). But listen to the song, man. It is the best distillation of what it's like to be a teenager in love that I've heard in like a bazillion years. It reminds me of making out after school in parked cars and sneaking out to share a six-pack of beer on a park bench in the middle of the night. It reminds me of youth, beauty, and a time when driving a car with a girl riding shotgun actually meant something amazing and bracingly new was going on.

Mock if you must. But this song is a WABAC machine to happy times.

11 Comments:

Blogger stew said...

oooh, I totally secretly love this song. Please don't tell anyone. I used to have musical credibility.

Also, thanks for making me download the Killers' version of the very awesome Romeo & Juliet. I love how his voice is all shaky and it's not QUITE a note-for-note reinterpretation of the original but a really, really heartfelt and great one. Yum. Love the Killers.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

No probs. I love forcing my taste in music on others. And thank YOU for validating my choice in pop-country hits. You're in the music biz (or so I've gathered) and that means I'M RIGHT.

6:23 PM  
Blogger emily said...

okay, Clinton, as a fellow Texan I understand that a deep-seated love of all things country/twangy is totally justifiable. HOWEVER, with this one - you're a girl all right. But not a 16 year-old. More like... 12. :)

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to agree with you. I find myself singing along in the car and yet I have no idea how I know the lyrics.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, just can't get down with the twangy. I mean, it's cute/poppy and she seems the same, but when you combine two things that individually act as big turn-offs (pop country with bubblegum anything)... it's just doomed for me from the start.

By the way, from the name? I was expecting it to be a cover of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTa8U0Wa0q8

And I think that's a beautiful song. Does that make me gay?

8:29 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

My favorite song right now is "See You Again" by Miley Cyrus.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Emily... Yeah, yeah, I'm a twelve year old girl. Whatever. If that's what I gotta be to like what I likes, then so be it. Pass the Strawberry Shortcake accessories.

ps Is Strawberry Shortcake even around anymore? My references are hopelessly dated, yo!

Megkathleen... Don't be embarrassed! Shout it loud, you enjoy silly pop country songs and you're PROUD!!!

Justin... No, the fact that you sleep with men for sexual enjoyment makes you gay. Liking Elton John just makes you the sort of person who enjoys 70s-era piano rock.

Todd... I have a theory that Miley Cyrus is actually a 35 year old woman with weird hormones and a good skin-care regimen. No proof yet, but I'm working on it. I've got a man on the inside (hint: he's one of the Jonas Brothers).

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who grew up with you in Texas, I have to say we must have had very different teenage years. This so does NOT remind me of being a teenager in love. But then again, you had more girlfriends than me.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

ALAN!!!... Yes, but you're married and have babies now and I can barely be bothered to check the mail on a regular basis. So who's the REAL winner here? Also, I tend to have an overly-romantic view of my past, so I'm probably trumping up memories to fit the ideal emotions that I want from said song. It happens.

10:52 AM  
Blogger stew said...

omg I totes love that Miley Cyrus song.

Why don't I just kill myself already.

And yes, I'm sort of in the music business but only because it's a lot easier than being in the business business. Plus, there's music.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin... No, the fact that you sleep with men for sexual enjoyment makes you gay. Liking Elton John just makes you the sort of person who enjoys 70s-era piano rock.

Sometimes your responses in the comments section are even better than the entries themselves. I'm still laughing about this one, five minutes after initially reading it.

-Phoenix

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home