Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Nomad Years

Austin to New York - I'd lived in Austin long enough to know that if I didn't leave right then, I'd never do it; I'd be working at the video store for the rest of my life, drinking all the time, hiding it from my close friends (I was more intimate with breath mints than I was with my girlfriend), and trying to talk loud enough to be heard above the swirling, sucking sound of my life going down the drain. So I decided to finish up my schooling in New York. Sure, why not... I'd never lived farther than a couple of hours away from home, but hey, I was a street-smart kid who knew a thing or two about a thing or two. The Big Apple could suck it; I was about to show up and blow up and soon it would call me, "Master." So I went to a bunch of Bon Voyage parties, left a girl crying in an apartment complex parking lot thirty minutes before her shift waiting tables at an Italian restaurant, and I took off to New York, New York, because I'd already made it just anywhere... it was time to make it there. I arrived at La Guardia on a Tuesday night with two giant suitcases, an overstuffed duffel bag, my laptop in a leather satchel, and the sudden realization that I had no idea what I was doing. It was like trying to watch a movie with the VCR stuck on fast-forward; everyone zipped around me, told me to get out of the way, to hurry up, to watch where I was going... I started hyperventilating like a soldier about to storm an enemy bunker... I was sweating like a linebacker in a sauna... I was scared. Very scared. I was also the Webster's dictionary definition of "Fresh Meat." My taxi fare from LGA to my hotel in the East Village... 80$. That, for those of you not from the area, is an anal raping worthy of only the finest, most secluded prison showers. When I finally got to my room (at the Seafarers International Hostel on the corner of 15th street and Gross), which was smaller than most tanning beds and as fragrant as a homeless man's socks, I lay down on the bed and stared at the ceiling and couldn't breath and couldn't think and couldn't do anything whatsoever for about an hour. Then I got up and headed out to walk around for a bit, hoping to clear my head. The first thing I saw when I got to the corner was two taxis run into each other, followed immediately by the cab drivers, having emerged from their damaged vehicles, fist-fighting in the middle of the street. I went back to my room and cried and cried and cried until, eventually, I decided to stop.

New York to Arlington - Film school was over. Typically, I'd wasted the experience; sure, I went to class and I crewed on film shoots and I even bothered to shoot a couple of my own films (they weren't very good), but rarely was my whole heart or mind ever really into it. Let me put it to you this way... I started most mornings by drinking beer in the shower, and on the days that I didn't drink beer in the shower, I drank vodka in the shower. The less said about those days, the better. But anyway, film school was over and it was time for me to do... something. Get a job, maybe, or at least an apartment in Brooklyn. But I couldn't. Because, typically again, I was broke. Rather than spend the next couple of months surfing friend's couches and digging myself deeper and deeper into a shame hole with a sadness shovel, I decided to swallow hard, bite whatever bullets were available, and move home. In the end, it wasn't all bad... I love my family and they (for reasons unexplained) love me back. But still, moving from a place like New York to a place like Arlington, Texas... it was like switching from whole milk to skim; you're used to the richness, the fattiness, and then suddenly you're drinking what amounts to grey water and you're thinking, "Wow, I used to live here? Really?"

Arlington to Los Angeles - Otherwise known as the You're-Making-a-Giant-Mistake Tour Across America. My stepmother, kind and benevolent lady that she is, gave me her car so that I wouldn't have to suffer through the indignities and humiliations of the LA public transportation system. This, of course, meant that to get to LA, I would have to drive. This wouldn't have been a problem (I dig road trips), save for the fact that this car was a Standard and I was an Automatic kind of guy. My father elected to make the trip with me, seeing as how I couldn't as yet operate the vehicle, intending to teach me the mysterious arts of gear-shifting and clutch finesse as we went along. That didn't so much happen. What I mean is, he certainly put forth a yeoman's effort towards getting my slow brain and uncoordinated self to master his instructions; that I learned almost nothing during the course of our trip was my fault entirely. So this was my introduction to LA... I'd just dropped my father off at LAX, and now I had to drive this car... this confounding machine that wouldn't just fucking drive, dammit... the fifteen miles back to my newly acquired apartment. In rush hour traffic. While only barely, barely knowing what I was doing. That trip from the airport to my house took at least five years off of my life and thinking about it now makes my stomach hurt like I've got a tapeworm. My father has since told me that he, as he took his seat on the plane, felt like he'd never see his son alive again. His prophecy nearly came true at least five times, by my count.

Los Angeles to New York - I knew after about a month that having moved to Los Angeles was a fuck-up on my part similar to the White House staff letting Kennedy ride in a convertible through downtown Dallas. I hated everything about LA and I wanted to leave, sooner rather than later. New York was where I wanted to be and the fact that I didn't move back there immediately after my time at home will forever remain the biggest boneheaded move I'll ever make in a lifetime of boneheaded moves. So for six months, I saved all the money I made waiting tables at an Outback Steakhouse, thinking only about a single word: Escape. Finally, I was ready to split. My father, once again, offered to drive from California to Texas with me (where I would then, after a couple of R&R days, catch a plane to NYC). Now, I'm not sure where the idea of driving from LA to Dallas in one straight shot came from... we hadn't done it that way on the previous trip, and we weren't in any particular hurry... but nonetheless, we concluded that a 22-hour marathon ride was the way it should be. So I picked my father up at the very airport where I'd left him fearing for his son's life six months earlier, and then we hit the highway, middle fingers extended as we exited LA county. The original plan had been to switch off driving duties every couple of hours; the original plan got chucked, however, as my father ended up punking out on me because he was too sleepy to drive. Of the 22 hours on the road, I ended up driving 19. That, kids, is a looooooong time behind the wheel, any way you slice it. Fortunately, I'd been smart enough to stop by the local CostCo and pick up a case of Rock Star energy drinks. During the course of my 19 hours of road time, I drank fourteen of them. By the time we rolled into Tarrant County (home, in other words), I was shaking, rattling, and rolling like a 50's rock song, all while cursing my father up one side and down the other for not holding up his end of the bargain (once I got some sleep, I forgave him... begrudgingly). A few days after that, I flew back to New York, thus bringing my Nomad years to a comfortable, finally-home close.

It's going to take fucking dynamite to get me to move again.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun story. I am doing the same fucking thing right now...but in Canada, where it's really, really cold. And big.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Ha, thanks! Yeah, I was lucky enough to do all my moving around in pleasent weather. Good luck to you with your own Nomad Years, yo!!!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drove from Fairbanks Alaska to Baltimore Maryland once in five days. After waking up once with my bitch of an ex wife driving in the other lane around a corner to be as far away from the drop off the mountain as possible I drove most of the rest of the way as I feared for my life. Except for gas and food we drove the first forty eight hours straight with me going through Nodoze and coffee driving most of it after that incident previously mentioned. We only stopped because I was shaking like one of those beds in the cheap motels that vibrate when you put money in the slots.
The only exciting thing that happened on that trip was seeing a dead bear cub in the middle of the road. After backing up, I looked about then opening my door poked it to see it was indeed dead. All the time expecting it to be some clever bear trap to catch unsuspecting motorists for lunch and the m Papa and Momma bear would leap out and pull us out of the car. I was tempted for a bit to empty the cooler and throw it in, but as we were in Canada I did not want to get caught at the border smuggling dead bears so we left it there. Ever since then I have hated driving for some reason. I think it like drinking too much of something and getting sick every time you even see a bottle of it let alone get a smell of its odor.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was the No Country for Old Men of posts. I really enjoyed it, thought we were getting to the dramatic conclusion and then the credits start rolling.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Jason Quinones said...

that was a fun post to read.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Sally Tomato said...

I love this. I want more! And I share with you the nausea associated with even thinking of driving a stick. My story was in France, and it's on my blog. Same shit, different country. Ooh I hate cars!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Sally Tomato said...

@Clinton & @David -
These are reading like the fucking Iliad. I say we all blog our longest treks and try to out-Homer one another.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

David... Niiice. Yeah, there's nothing like long trips to make you glad you live in a place where you don't have to drive.

Midwesterner... Hey man, sometimes life has no dramatic conclusion. Though if you'd like, feel free to pretend that I tracked down Anton Chigurh and shot him in the face once I arrived back in NYC.

Jason... Thanks, dude! I was feeling totally autobiographical today.

Sally... Oh I've got more. I have yet to relate the ill-fated trips that me and my boy Braden took to an writers conference in Mississippi and an unfortunante Spring Break in Colorado. On one of the trips, we nearly died! And on the other, we met Major Dad!!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Major Dad??? Why haven't you blogged about that yet?

p.s. Moving to LA is the biggest mistake anyone could ever make ever. Unless they're a douche. Then I'm happy that they live across the country.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Hey man, I'm blogging for the long haul, over here. Gotta save some stories for when I eventually tire of eating weird crap in front of a camera (not likely, but it *could* happen).

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once drove from Monterey California to Atlanta GA in two days. I made it to Oklahoma City in a straight shot and I discovered a trick to those long solo trips. The right mixture of water, beef jerky, and sunflower seeds will keep you on the brink of dehydration so you don't have to stop for piss breaks. The sunflower seeds helped keep me awake since I was always doing something with my mouth. When I got to Atlanta I switched cars with my ex-wife (the whole point of the trip) and after a day or two of rest turned around for the trip to San Angelo Texas. After the first leg, that 15 hours was cake.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

My longest road trip was from Denver to Miami.

Took 2 days with a one night layover at a friends house in St. Louis.

I had to help with the driving and it was a stick as well.

Needless to say, I only drove on the interstate.

Funny thing is I don't remember driving back.

Did we fly?

Hmmm.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

I also want to hear more... about the excessive drinking. I know that makes me an asshole, but it's really nice to get a little insight into our Clint-bear.

-J

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, this makes me remember my own nomadic years and want to write a similar post.

"You'd be surprised what you can live through."

-Iago, Return of Jafar

>Phoenix<

4:47 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

J... See, that's one of my biggest problems: The Pee Break. I have a bladder like an infant, so I'm always having to stop and drain the main vein. When I said that it took 22 hours to get from LA to Dallas, yeah, it's really only about 20 for people with normal pee functions.

Big Daddy... It's aliens, dude.

Jew... And I'm always happy to provide said insight, Jew-bear.

Phoenix... Go for it, yo! Talk it out.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Todd said...

If you get Michael Bay to produce this, you'd have one hell of an epic movie!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Alienwhere said...

I drove from NJ to San Diego in just over 4 days in January of '04. It was a nonstop extravaganza of fast food, indigestion, uncomfortable stares and silences from people who saw us in some Midwestern areas, and finally a grand total of over 1,500 still images and a few hours of video, culled together in the most entertaining travelogue anyone's likely to ever see. Believe it.

Anyway, awesome post C-Dog.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home