Friday, February 01, 2008

Friday Afternoon Band Talk

NOTE: Feeling kind of whatever about writing today. Not anything specific; just chest-deep in the Friday ho-hums, I think. I'm totally bored and writers-blocked, is what I'm trying to say, I guess. Anyway, in an effort to combat this, I'm just going to talk about bands for a little while. I'll also link to the bands that I talk about's MySpace pages so you can listen to some music, just for funsies.

Malajube - Their music is very precious and twee, and it's in French. Ususally this is a combination that would make me hork up an "I don't care" loogie and blast it across the universe until it latched onto a comet made of shrugs but... I don't know... these guys kind of do it for me. They sound like wearing black Cons and ironic t-shirts in your early twenties on a Saturday night in Montreal. But in a good way.

Black Mountain - I kind of want to listen to their song "Tyrants" while riding a horse across an apocolyptic wasteland in a not-to-distant future. Especially if I could do so while waving around a sword. Then, at the part where the song gets all slow, I'd get off my horse and kneel down to pray to an uncaring, unfeeling God. Then back to the sword waving, but in slow-motion.

Art Brut - I don't really like music where you can hear the lead singer smirking through the entire record. I mean, it's cool to get a kick out of yourself... lord knows, I do... but Art Brut seems like the type of guys that have sex with girls while listening to their own albums. I bet they don't wash their jeans, either, because greasy is "in."

The Gossip - Thank god Beth Ditto is around, making rock safe for fat people. She's like the smell of a well-prepared steak wafting through a vegan restaurant. Seriously, what is up with all the fucking skinny people... not just in music, but all over the world? I get that they look "healthy" and "not like cottage cheese," but c'mon, fat people are almost always hilarious. Plus, they're better than having an electric blanket in the winter time because an electric blanket won't give you a back rub in addition to it's heating duties. Ask my girlfriend... she'll totally set you straight on why it's awesome to keep a lunchbox such as myself hanging around.

The Fratellis - I was so into these guys over the summer that I drove their record into the ground, which caused me to not want to listen to them until like a month ago. When I put it on again, I was reminded why I like them: They're the musical equivelent of walking into a bar full of your friends and everyone goes, "WOOOOOOOO!" when they see you. Like, have you listened to "Chelsea Dagger?" Doctors should write depressives a perscription for that song instead of Zoloft.

The Swell Season - This is the band that Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova formed after shooting Once. It's music that makes you want to wander around your apartment in your underwear and make tea the morning after your boyfriend or girlfriend said, "I love you" for the first time (and you know they meant it).

The Pogues - Ack! Why does it cost sixty bucks to go see them here in New York? I can't afford that! And I was going to get all drunk and try to knock out the rest of Shane Macgowan's teeth, too. Damn it... Listen to "Boys from the County Hell" and think about how awesome it would be to see that live. See why I'm pissed?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art Brut opened for The Hold Steady here in Columbus a while back. It was just about the best concert of 2007. The lead singer was kind of chubby and sweaty, yet somehow sexy.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I knew someone was going to shove that Art Brut comment up my ass. I actually kind of like them, but I felt weird only talking nice about every band in this post. So I decided to pick on the one I liked the least. Busted!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Braden said...

Band Recommendation for Ya: The Avett Brothers. Woo-Sally, it's tasty!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

love the pogues!

you should check out:
'if i should fall from grace'
if you haven't already... really good.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home