Monday, June 11, 2007

Wisdom For The Kids

Okay, first things first, if you haven't seen Knocked Up yet, do yourself a favor. It's like the cinematic satisfaction equivalent of a bacon cheeseburger with spicy fries and a pitcher of beer, but twice as hilarious and less likely to make your ass fat.
Considering the fact that this year has already seen such "comedy" fare as Wild Hogs and Norbit, it's extremely heartening to know that Hollywood hasn't completely lost touch with what's actually funny. Then again, we did see a trailer for some new Ben Stiller movie that looks about as funny as a colonoscopy, so maybe Knocked Up is our only chance for humorous salvation.
Whatever the case, go see it. You won't regret it.
Anyway, not only did it make me laugh, but seeing Knocked Up yesterday really made me think about how I would react, were I in the lead character's situation. This, by the way, isn't uncommon for me; it's just how I consider and relate to movies. For example, Ghostbusters makes we wonder how I'd handle myself in various ghostbusting situations, just as Showgirls makes me take a long, hard (har!) look at my life and how it would be different if I happened to find myself twirling around a stripper pole. In Knocked Up's case, I was forced to examine myself as a potential father.
My first thought was, naturally, a protracted, internal scream that went on for so long that I thought something in my brain had broken, trapping me forever in my own head full of sorrow's cacophony. Turns out, no; I'm just fucking terrified at the prospect of being someone's dad. Or, I should say, I'm terrified of being someone's Dad now. I want kids, I do, someday. In the future. Perhaps when we've got flying cars and machines that dress you like on The Jetsons. If Girlfriend were to get pregnant today, though... yeesh. Girlfriend is, by the by, the person I'm about 90% sure I'll be having kids with. Can't really see it going any other way at this point, barring horrific tragedy and/or she finally gets tired of putting up with my bullshit. Truthfully, neither of us are ready for that big step: She's still in grad school, with her eyes on an eventual doctorate, and I'm a deeply irresponsible, drunken teenager in a nearly-27-year-old's body. Not exactly the right time or place for either of us to switch over into parent mode.
But what if it did happen? We do the birth control (and if you don't think birth control is a "we" thing, then you're a very foolish person), but birth control has been known to, on occasion, not work. It's maddening and it would make me want to bomb a pharmaceutical company were it to happen to me, but still it's the truth. Now, I do think that I could actually handle the mechanics of parenting; the cleaning up the puke and pee, the late nights of no sleep, the feedings, the keeping them from dying... That's basically just like taking care of a drunk friend with alcohol poisoning who's passed out on your living room floor and, trust me, I could teach a four-credit college lecture course on that subject. No, it's the intangible aspects of parenting that frighten me the most. Namely, the imparting of wisdom unto my child.
Fuck. What am I supposed to tell a kid? What information is it important for them to know? I mean, there's the obvious stuff like don't get into an unmarked van with a guy dressed up like a sad clown, or don't stick your finger into a running boat propeller (which is something I actually did when I was four; thanks for the heads up on that one, Dad!). But beyond that... well, here's what I've come up with:
The Sum Total of My Wisdom for to Pass Along To My Kids
NOTE: I hope to put off having a kid for at least a few more years, thus giving me time to fill in the obvious gaps in my knowledge. However, if the kid were to show up nine months from now, this is what he's getting.
-If you become one of those people that knows a lot about one thing (sports, movies, cars, etc.), you're going to end up only hanging out with people that are the same way and that one topic is all you'll ever talk about for the rest of your life. This is okay if you've got a genuine love of said topic and that's how you're prefer to spend your days, but really it's better if you shoot for more of a spred-out knowledge base. Learn about all of those topics; no, you won't be an expert, but really, nobody likes an expert except for other experts. And even then, they only like them because they hope one day to prove each other wrong on some minuscule fact or stat, thus validating their existence. Seriously, strive to be "barroom conversant." This means you can hold a good conversation about a variety of topics in a bar and, thus, will be the guy or gal that everyone wants to hang out with. For real, this is what my father was teaching me instead of the dangers of boat propellers.
-It's okay if you want to be vegetarian or vegan, but you're going to get a ton of shit about it from everyone, including me. Not like serious shit, or anything; no one's going to kick the crap out of you for not eating meat, but still... expect some static. Also, don't expect to be invited to dinner by anyone but other vegetarians or vegans unless you're copacetic with eating at the steakhouse's salad bar.
-Do whatever you want at home, but when you're at a bar, pick a drink and stick with it the whole night. Switching from beer to whiskey (or vice-versa) is okay, but otherwise, it's like constantly switching lanes at a bowling alley. Not advisable.
-Avoid the pills, the powders and anything you have to cook up in a teaspoon. The people that sell that shit carry guns, which are almost as lethal as what they're selling. And if you are going to walk down that road, for fucks sake don't tell me or your mother about it. And don't ask us for money, because I will kick your ass.
-Really, really, really think about that tattoo before you get it. Getting "I Heart Hootie and the Blowfish" removed from the small of your back costs a shitload of money. Piercings are okay, but keep in mind that most people will think you look like an idiot. If that doesn't bother you, then carry on.
-I know it's inevitable to try and fit in, but you really shouldn't try to be cool for more than a year, two tops. It's expensive, exhausting and if you're not one of those people who's magically blessed with the ability to always be in fashion and into the awesome new bands, then it's just going to make you depressed. What works better is to figure out what you like and then just fucking go with that; usually you'll end up with a circle of friends who respect you for just being you, and like you because you're laid back enough to treat them the same way. And if not, then you can rock the whole "outsider" angle, which should be at least good enough to get you laid once in a while, especially if you bathe regularly.
-Telling a cop to go fuck himself right to his face sounds like a badass, punk rock thing to do. It's not, though it does make for a good story. You can get away with doing it if you're 20 and younger. Any older and they'll probably give you some stick time.
-Don't drink and drive. Yeah, it's practically just a bumper sticker slogan at this point, but that doesn't make it any less true. Dying because you got behind the wheel after twelve Kamikaze shots is just about the stupidest way to go out short of auto-erotic asphyxiation, and at least with that you get to bust a nut right before you go.
-Get into The Beatles.
-Watch Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi as much as you can when you're a kid. Trust me.
-Mainly, though, what you've got to do is just be nice to people, but not so much that you're a push-over. Find that balance. Growing up to be the kind of dude that other guys want to hang out with and girls want to date starts with just being a decent person that does what they say their going to do and doesn't lie about shit all the time. Everything else will fall into place behind that.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sir are a natural. That might have been the best post on just pure truth and wisdom I have ever read. Plus it was funny to boot.

10:50 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

I almost wish you were MY dad.

11:32 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

tatt's.

if you get a chance...have a gander on my site at my jarhead's latest.


what do you children DO TO MAKE A MOTHER GO CRAZY!!!

but, like he told a group of people yesterday...

"mom raised all of five of us on her own, working her ass off, with no money..none of us are on cops, went to jail or work the pole..more than paris hilton's parents can say"


heh.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Bill... Thanks, dude! I tend to just natually be a fuck-up, but I'm really trying to think a little clearer these days. Must be the influence of the impending birthday that will bring me a year closer to the big three-oh.

Lioux... Almost? Well I'll just have to try harder because, Lioux, I want you to want me. To be your Dad.

Quin... Sounds like you knew what was up. Hope my kids can say the same about me, one day.

11:41 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Hey Dad, can I have twenty bucks?

12:00 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Mow the lawn, get Pops a beer (several) and figure out how to make this damn televison work and then MAYBE you can borrow the car.

But not until then.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Of course none of this changes the fact you took a piss on my street.

I feel like Bill from Gainesville is cheating on me with all of his sweet talking over here.

12:29 PM  
Blogger quin browne said...

c~you made me want to write about this, and i had a long ass comment..instead, i'm going to slap it on my side, and link here.

you are a good son... and will make a good dad.

only one of my kids was planned..we call him the investment.

ha!

12:36 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Even not having seen Knocked Up yet, I think about this stuff pretty often since my family is reproducing like a bunch of Irish Catholics (oh wait they are). For me the issue is not so much what do I tell the kid, but will I ever be ready to have my life change that much? But it's also too bad that a lot of the good folks I know are purposely not goign that route.
Also, why has no one yet mentioned the hilarious fat-kid-in-ALF-shirt-with-lunchbox photo? Good choice.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Why I find the 87th street piss so funny is because my girlfriend and I were out that night and it would have been funny on the way home if we would have seen you and I could have said "remember those blog friends I told you about....yeah there is one of them now"

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, why has no one yet mentioned the hilarious fat-kid-in-ALF-shirt-with-lunchbox photo? Good choice.

Don't worry Colleen, I was just going to mention it, I LOVE that photo...but please tell us ala The Midwesterner that that's not you.

I am one of six kids who they all raised using what they called "laizze faire" parenting.

Whenever one of us approached our parents crying they would say, "Are you bleeding? Then you're fine."

I guess it was sort of a proto "don't sweat the small stuff approach."

1:32 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

OMG, MGW!!!

I am one of six kids too!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Midwesterner... If you love someone, set them free. You know the rest.

Quin... I don't know if I was a good son or not; I've put my fam through a lot of shit. They do still seem to like me, though, so I guess I didn't fuck things up too badly.

Colleen... Word to that. I don't handle change well at all, and I'm also deeply selfish, so there's going to be some issues there.

Midwestern 2... That would have be hysterical! Oh, and make no mistake: My kid will know the glories of peeing on the street. Because we will probably be homeless.

Gal Gotham... Nope, that kid is not me. I was actually quite the healthy, skinny kid all through junior high. After that, when I discovered beer, not so much. Anyway, I just Googled "fat kid" and that's what came up.

Also, I had the other kind of "growing up" situation. Single mom, only child... very overprotective, at least until I hit high school.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Midwesterner, (thats funny blog commenting right there.)but just like renee Zellweger, You had me at hello..... Clinton and I are platonic only, you will always be my main girl .....errrrr Blog sight, in fact I only discovered Zombie because of you.....

2:05 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

YOU BITCH!!!

(Runs from the room, crying, make-up smearing. Ends up in the shower, naked and clutching a bottle of gin)

(Note: I like a dramatic exit)

2:13 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

I Love, Love, Love Dramatic Exits!!!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

If my dad had told me half of what you just did here, it would have saved me from making a lot of stupid mistakes in my life.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Lioux... Who doesn't?

Jeff... Sorry I wasn't there for you dude. I promise I'll try harder.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope I'm like my grandfather... he would let me do anything I wanted, knowing full well that I would end up hurt and crying.

I'll never forget his loving words of comfort....

"Hurts dont it? Bet you wont do that shit no more!"

... and I didn't.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

I know I am prolly never going to have kids, but I still wonder about how I would raise them and not have them turn out serial killers or dead before the age of 20.

Because kids are kind of dumb.

But like you, I am far too selfish to raise kids [right now].

I won't even get a dog because I am too lazy to feed it, walk it, and then have it eventually die.

I only had a dad up until age 11 so I never really knew him.

I was kind of the favorite child, so I rarely got in to trouble.

My mom's view on my growing up was that she always said she didn't care what I did, as long as I got good grades - which I did.

However, she would prolly freak if she knew everything I did [especially between the ages of 16 to 21].

Never got caught, or in trouble though.

I think you'd probably make a bad ass dad C-dog.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, man, as the father of a 12 year old girl I'd say that that is all solid advice. I'll drop my own parenting advice to you just in case. Don't ever lie to your kid and don't be afraid to apologize when you're wrong. Its the same as any other relationship except that this one really is for life and you have the opportunity to operate with a blank slate rather than dealing with all the hang-ups that an adult has. If you're consistent and rational then everything else falls into place. Apropos of nothing I am counting down (12 days) until I return to the states for a couple of months. Japan is neat and all but I'd like to be able to buy some clothes someplace besides the "Monster Island Outfitters". Plus I miss BBQ...

4:49 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Scott... Again, it's about balance. You have to let them fall off the monkey bars a few times, but you should also stop them from, say, jamming their face into a spinning buzzsaw.

Big Daddy... I think I'll be a pretty cool dad, too, but just not yet. Need to mature the fuck up first. Also, my mom would have let me get by with SO much more shit, had I actually gotten good grades. I was a slacker before the word even existed.

J... Awesome, dude! Welcome back to our purple mountain's majesty and whatnot. Question though: Why would you NOT want to buy all your clothes at a place called Monster Island Outfitters? Because that sounds awesome.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicks just don't take you seriously when you are dressed as Megalon.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

you stuck your finger into a fucking running boat propeller?!?!?! What happened??

Ps GREAT advice!! :)

pps that kid in the picture is so cute it breaks my heart. seriously. i hate seeing a kid that you know gets picked on :(

-Jew

11:22 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

It actually ended up not being as bad as it sounds because it was made of plastic instead of metal. Had it been metal, it would have cut my finger off... since it was plastic, it only broke it and cut it up a bit. You can't even really tell now that anything happened to it.

Also, that kid is so the man. Look at his face; he's got ten miles of self-confidence and all the ladies want to play house with him.

12:25 PM  
Blogger stew said...

I licked a fan once.

CDawg, this post has made me feel SERIOUSLY relived. If I ever find myself knocked up, I don't have to sweat parenting, I can just shoot crack and snort gin and one day, in my stupor, hand my kids this post. Right before I say "now get the hell out of before Uncle Ron gets here."

Phew, thanks, dude.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Hey, glad to help! Now, would it possible for me to kindly bum some crack off of you? I'll pay you back never, I promise!

9:47 AM  
Blogger stew said...

sure, dads, just don't bogart that crack pipe.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home