Friday, June 01, 2007

Bloggers In The Wild

Which is not to be confused with Bloggers Gone Wild; that comes later, when we all decide to take a group vacation to Cabo and end up appearing in videos sold on late-night TV that feature us incrementally selling our dignity for plastic beads while shaming our parents and besmirching our good names in a tequila-soaked whirl of hard-partying and shouted "WOOOOO!!!"'s.

Ha, ha, just kidding; like any of us have dignity!

Anyhoo, because blogging about a gathering of bloggers is about as self-referential and masturbatory as one can get without actually talking about yourself while masturbating, I'll keep this brief...

A Little Bit About Last Night's Blogger Happy Hour, Then We Can All Get On With Our Lives:

NOTE: This is being thrown together at 4am because I can't sleep and I'm still a little brain-swimmy from the earlier liquor, as well as the liquor I had when I got home. If this doesn't make any sense or is unbelievably retarded (as I fear it might be), then those are the reasons. If it comes across as fantastic writing, then I totally meant it to be that way.

-First and foremost, at least in my mind, is that we got "shushed." A lot. We were the loud table, the bad kids, the group that you pray to whatever God you happen to enjoy isn't sitting next to you when you're looking for an after-work drink. At the bar we were at (the name of which my worthless memory has already deleted), there was a back yard and that's where we set up camp. Because this is Manhattan we're talking about, there were apartments rising up all around us and, apparently, the people living in said apartments have a bit of an itchy trigger finger when it comes to calling the cops on the bar's noisy patrons. So, because we were the largest group in the courtyard, we were repeatedly told to keep it down by the Hostess, whom I'm pretty sure would have shot us down in cold blood without even blinking had she a shotgun. I'll grant you that we probably were being loud; however, we were at a bar. And not a quiet, Tom Waits-y bar either; a fairly hoppin' bar with lots of other people and healthy amount of noise in and of it's self. I doubt we were being louder than anyone else, so I'm just going to assume that the Hostess was picking on us because she was jealous at how awesome we all were. Well, Hostess, in the words of Gretchen Wiener, "YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US!!!"

-I drank Jack all night, exclusively, because it was cheaper than the fancypants, mirco-imported, made by virgins and blessed by a team of priests and rabbis, beer that this place offered. No Coors Light there, for damn sure. Whatever, though; whiskey isn't a bad alternative and I'm hoping that my drinking it made me look like a total cowboy-flavored stud to all who were there. Helping my cause: The ten-gallon hat and spurs. Also, I was on horseback.

-There was this couple sitting near our table, a late-40's early businessman type and a young, hipsterish girl, who we think were either the best Craigslist date ever, or the most awkward gathering of co-workers that's ever happened in the history of the phrase, "Hey, let's all get a drink at quittin' time." My money's on the former, but only because I've already planned out their wedding in my head.

-Not all who were invited could make it, but a lot more people came than I thought actually would and that was really cool. Everyone I met was witty, attractive, pleasant-smelling and as generally entertaining in person as they are in their own words. Except for me, of course; I told all present up front that I'd "kick 'em in the face for lookin' at me weird," and then I got sloppy drunk, hit on all the lady-bloggers (as well as some of the cuter boy-bloggers; S'up Beehive), and capped off the evening by stealing everyone's wallet. While I may have blown a lot of chances at making some new friends, I do have a ton of new credit cards to hit eBay with as compensation.

27 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Its 8 am, I am supposed to be at work as I type this but I am still on my couch. I should go... soon.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Take your time, dude... don't do anything crazy. Maybe take a drink before you head out?

Consider it fuel for the day.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God I get to go in to work late today, otherwise I would be in an even worse state on the subway right now...

8:38 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

I almost just puked. I'm sucking on a Vitamin Water and praying that no one notices I'm about to take a nap under my desk. Fingers Crossed.

Cheers,
Irish

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

a) I'm fairly certain that I'm still drunk.

b) I was wondering what happened to my wallet.

c) I think the odd couple were actually a business man on a work trip and the hooker he met on Craig's list.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The naive Midwesterner in me wanted to believe that they were a father and daughter from suburban Jersey or CT. He works at an accounting firm in midtown and she's either studying film at NYC or fashion at FIT. In a desperate attempt (okay, his wife made him) to try and "understand where whe was coming from" Dad decided to check out her "hood" and see whatever crappy apt. and meet the weirdo roomates she's living with. It didn't really work. She still hates Mom and he, realizing that he couldn't really stand going home either just ended up staying and getting tanked...but that was just MY impression.

And yes Clinton, I totally agree and was actually hoping to see a post about how ridiculous that was. I don't know when the last time was that I was SHUSHED, Hmpf!

Or in the words of Stephanie Tanner: HOW RUDE!

10:02 AM  
Blogger i like cheese said...

Sorry I missed meeting you. I chose to make a cameo around midnight (not that I met anyone other than Irish). And yea, that Beehive, ain't he dreamy? ;)

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now I know why I had the urge to drink last night I must have pick up the group vibes of the anticipation of getting sloshed and went out and bought alcohol yesterday or maybe Clint is imbedding subliminal messages into his blog for the liquor companies, which is how he really makes his money.

10:12 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

i guess my invite got lost in cyberspace.





hrumph

10:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Honestly, someone just came to my desk to talk about work and I swer I almost said "Dude, can't you tell I am still drunk from last night... I mean I can see through you, please leave me alone."

10:26 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Beehive... Did I mention that I didn't have to go into work today? Heh heh... suckers.

Irish... Spew with pride; it's merit badge of a good time spent the previous evening. Just aim it towards the trash can. Puke's a bitch to get out of a keyboard.

Jeff... I'm still drunk because I haven't stopped drinking. And they say I've got a problem... Ha!!! Anyway, thanks for the AmEx!!!

Gal Gotham... I know, right? I felt like I was in elementary school. But with booze.

D.A.V.I.D.... I don't know what you're talking (drink) about (liquor).

Quin... My bad, totally; will make sure you're on the list for all future drunkeness.

Midwesterner... Did I mention that I didn't have to go into work today? Heh heh... suckers.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

Hilarious, just as i suspected ;)

The boots and spurrs were a nice touch, the 10 gallon hat may have been overkill :)

I don't know how i managed to stay relatively sober! Oh yea it's cause i went out with Irish-- i will always appear more sober standing next to that girl.

-Jew

10:51 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Cheese... I believe the words for Beehive that you're looking for are, "Tasty hunck of McMan Meat." Sorry I missed you!!!

Jew... Never dis a man's cowboy hat. Although I thank you for the complement!!!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I just penciled in the word "executive" on my business card and as such, have made an executive decision that today will be a half day for work.

11:09 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

DAMN IT!!!

I totally wanted to be there last night!

Stupid rehearsal.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

Seriously... what do I eat for lunch. I feel as though only McDonalds can cure this hangover. It really was not necessary for me to leave with Midwesterner for 5 minutes to a bar that actually served Bud Light and challenge him to a chuggin contest... that he won off course... but I came in a very close second with beer foaming out of my nose. I drank it mega fast consider my state. Sorry you all missed that highlight of the night.

~Irish

11:30 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

c~forgiven.

now, i have to go to work, at the leisurely hour of 1P...


ha, and HA again!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Awwww...I'm sorry I missed the earlier festivities, I didn't show up with Husband until everyone was REALLY drunk....sorry I missed you, Clinton...I was planning on telling you how one of my #1 Google searches now is "why does broccoli smell like farts".

12:59 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

3 PM is the magical hour when all hangovers end.

Unless you keep drinking, or as I call it, 'race for the cure.'

1:02 PM  
Blogger lioux said...

I like this 'race for the cure' solution myself.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Ha!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

I was at work by 7:20am. I swear that I didn't sober up until about noon.

10:42 PM  
Blogger ellagood said...

but could you fuck in the bathroom??

/k

i really want to meet up the next time. this week sucked the big one. please keep me in the loop.

~ella

3:18 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Next time, I'm-a stayin' 'til the end. If only because I want to see beer shoot out of Irish's nose.

Jeff... If you're an Executive now, does that mean you can steal me steal me some high-quality office supplies?

Kitty... Ha! Excellent. Glad that I'm lowering the level of discourse not only on my own blog, but on the blogs of other's as well.

Ella... Will keep you in the loop, no doubt.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Damn! If you get together again next month, let me know! I'll be in NYC for 10 days.

J
=^.^=

5:47 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Pompomist... Definitely; email when you're going to be around. We'll tear the place (NYC) to the ground, party-style!

8:44 AM  
Blogger The Chief Pompomist said...

Awesome! I'll let you know.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home