Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I Am British

Well, no... I'm not, obviously. Not yet anyway.

If I was British, I'd have certainly brought it up by now. In all honesty, were I actually a man from Britain, this blog would probably be called "Sir Clinton's Very British Blog About Things That Are British (Like ME!!!)."

But that's not the case. I'm very not British. I am, in reality, an American. Even more damnable, I'm a Texan. Not that I, personally, mind being a Texan, of course; quite the contrary. It's just that people these days tend to have a fairly low opinion of Texans thanks to our suck-ass President and it gets really old having to explain time and time again that, no, we're not all like that. And, while we're on the subject of dispelling myths about those of with the good fortune to grow up in Texas, let me also state for the record that we don't all ride horses, it's not at all like it was on Dallas, and there are many of us that don't think cellphones and DVD players are "the work of witches." Now, yes, my grandfather does own a cattle ranch (true), but that's merely a coincidence.

Look, my point is, being a Texan doesn't have anywhere near the cachet as does being British. And, after watching the new romantic comedy Music and Lyrics last night, which stars alpha-Brit Hugh Grant, I've decided that this situation is entirely unacceptable. The British (well, Hugh Grant, anyway) are just so charming. We're talking crazy, heart-meltingly charming here. Lethally charming. Not to mention witty. Everything I said about the British being charming, they're double that in the wit department. And that's exactly what I want to be.

Now, I know, you're saying to yourself, "But C-dog, what about this mystical, vaunted Southern charm and wit that all you types are supposed to have?" Well, listen... Southern charm and wit only work when you're skinny and muscular and dressed like a cowboy. When you're a whiskery, lumpy sort (such as myself), you're pretty much resigned to the redneck/hillbilly/hick category whether you like it or not. And I, for one, don't like it.

Therefore, from now on, I am British.

"Pip, pip! Bob's your uncle! Bangers and mash! God save the Queen, old chap!"

See. Totally British. You can't hear me saying these things, of course, but keep in mind: I spent many years doing theater. This means that I can do an absolutely flawless British accent that would make you think I'm a real Briton from Britain, provided, of course, that you'd never in your entire life heard a British accent before. And had just been smacked very hard on the back of the head with a brick.

Hm. Yeah, my British accent sucks. That's going to be a problem.

I suppose I could pack up and move to England and live amongst those who speak with British accents for a number of years. Bound to pick it up that way. Then again, I don't really want to move to Britain; I like New York quite a bit and if there's one thing that's been said over and over again about Britain, it's that it is in no way New York City. I confirmed this on a map, just to be sure. Another option would be to rent a large quantity of British television, watch it all over a weekend, and hope to absorb the accent that way. This, though, would make me just like that weird kid in High School who always wore Dr. Who t-shirts with a trench coat and a top hat and talked only in obscure Monty Python references. Nobody liked that kid. Thirdly, I guess I can just start telling everyone that a slight, Texan drawl is the new British accent and then spend the entirety of my waking hours convincing the world that this is rock-solid truth.

Which, now that I've said all of this out loud, seems like a lot of work. And Lazy will always trump both British and Texan.

So... ugh. I am not British. Whatever. I didn't really want to be British anyway. Bunch of charming, witty jerks.

Now, Australians... that's where it's at. Yeah, they're all good-natured and sunny. And they all surf and fistfight kangaroos. And they eat all their meals at Outback Steakhouses, probably while accompanied by their best koala pals.

Yeah... yeah, that sounds fantastic.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am Australian.

19 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You need to change the name of this website to "Crocodile fights Yam".

10:04 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I was thinking "Dingo Fights Jar of Vegemite."

10:33 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Je suis le français. J'aime ĂȘtre tout morveux et impoli.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

According to the free translation site I just went to, what you said was this: "I am the French. I like to be all guttersnipe and impolite."

And I agree.

11:10 AM  
Blogger lioux said...

Awesome!

I was going for "...all snotty and rude." But I like that translation much better.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Yeah, "guttersnipe" is pretty damn hard to beat.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

British accents are pretty hot, but a slight Texan drawl is nothing to sneeze at either. If you're a person who like accents, any accent is better than none. (except maybe a Minnesotan one, I'm not sure anyone would find that sexy).

11:31 AM  
Blogger quin browne said...

have you ever had marmite? they ship it in frigging tanker trucks.

it is the most foul substance on this earth.

and, i'm sorry...but, for all their money, the only people with good teeth in the bloody royal family are harry and william. at some point, you'd think they'd go, "right-oh, we are in the spotlight, let's get a bit of dental work done, maybe some whitening" even the people on survivor after 39 days have whiter teeth than phil and lizzie.

a friend of mine's father used to work for chuck as one of the farmer's in charge of some area of highgrove. they are required to sign documents saying they won't talk about the royals..but, he'd get in his cups, and you could squeeze a bit of info out of him... he loved diana, and said the boys were 'lovely and well mannered' (this was in the '90's). i asked him about camilla.

he hemmed and hawed, looked about the room... and finally said;

"the photos are kind"

i shot my single malt out my nose.

they still have me back, though, because i eat his pickled onions.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Heh! You watched another rom com. A guy in my office assured me it was really and truly good, though.
I am a total accent poseur. I will start talking with a brogue 10 minutes after landing in Ireland or in a drawl while talking to a Southerner. I can't help it.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Irish and Jew said...

although those aussies are dammed with the whole crocodile Dundee thing ;)

-J

11:48 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Giggleloop... Hey now, some people find nasaly-ness sexy. Not, you know, NORMAL people, but still.

Quin... I have, in fact, had marmite; I had a British roommate for a year or so in college and he only ate that, beans on toast, and shrimp fried rice for the duration of our time together. And he was skinny as a rail, to boot.

Colleen... Yeah, yeah. What can I say? I'm a sensitive male. Music And Lyrics, though... yes, it was very truly good. Very entertaining, very sweet and suprisingly good music. I wept tears of joy all over my party dress.

Jew... Oooh, yeah. That would be even less cool than people asking me where my boots are. All. The. Time.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Music and Lyrics? Even my romantic-movie-loving girl friends said that movie was a piece of crap.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Your romantic-movie-loving girl friends are dead WRONG!!!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Believe me, not all Brits are charming and witty.

You could try listening to BBC Radio on the interwebs. I listen to it every day, and it rubbed off on my vocab.

I can now even distinguish between the different dialects of callers who call in.

And Australians, for the most part, are extremely xenophobic, and don't particularly like foreign people.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I've known a few Australians in my day and they were all lovely people. Hard drinkers, too, which is a quality I always appreciate in a person.

2:48 PM  
Blogger blythe said...

at least you're not from oklahoma.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Eh, that's true. I've driven through Oklahoma before and it was pretty bleak.

10:08 AM  
Blogger freshbread said...

aw c'mon, hugh grant makes me puke (and I'm not even gay!) wait, I mean... that makes no sense...

anyway, he's about as charming as a french poodle in a santa claus outfit. and he plays the same friggin' stuttering pansy in every friggin' movie.

and he blinks a lot which is totally distracting.
anyway, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, being Irish or something like that... Cause the important thing is, Hugh Grant needs to stop playing in movies!
Or give 'im an american redneck role, i'd like to see him play that and be all charming and witty, ha!

1:34 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Hugh Grant in my boyfriend.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home