Tuesday, November 14, 2006

"Girlfriend in a Coma" by The Smiths

I got nothing.

Here's a video of The Smiths singing "Girlfriend in a Coma." Actually, it's just Morrissey in the video but, let's face facts, he pretty much was The Smiths. You can say what you want about Johnny Marr's contributions to the bands but, let's put it this way, Morrissey has gone on to have a successful solo career and has produced some very decent albums. Johnny Marr will clear your plate if you're finished with that.

Man, what is it with me attacking obscure-ish musicians this month? Anyway:



I just remembered that Johnny Marr is now an official member of Modest Mouse, as of earlier this year. So I guess he is still around. And, once again, I look like an asshole. Still, give his solo stuff a listen. It'll make your ears wonder what they did to piss you off.

Fun Fact: Did you know that Morrissey is huge among the Latino gay community? It's true. I've never really understood how the depressed whinings of an Englishman could possibly fit into a Hispanic rent-boy's life but... well... I don't belong to either cultural subset, so I'll just chalk this up as yet another of the many things that I'll never understand about other people.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracy Kaufman said...

Johnny Marr HAS had pretty steady work over the years, but it seems like he mostly just leaps around playing on other people's albums. And as for the other two, last I heard they rummaged up a band of their own called Aziz, but I don't know if it ever lasted and I'm too lazy to look it up. Andy Rourke did do a nice job on Barbarism Begins at Home, though.

In college I had a grown man stalk me (a REAL stalker!) for a year - he thought we were meant to be because we shared a love for Morrissey. He wanted to fly me to Manchester for Morrissey's 2004 birthday concert, totally on him, but 1) I didn't want to wind up in a bodybag after spending a week alone with this crazy dude, and 2) the concert coincided with my college graduation. Alas and alack.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

You're totally right about Johnny Marr and his steady, other-peoples-albums work. I don't think he's a bad musician, I just think he's a bad SOLO musician. But that's me.

And you made the right call on the Morrissey dude. Any guy that offers to fly you to England "on him" is up to no good. Couple that with a love of Morrissey and you're going to be down for one creepy, mopey weekend of horror.

And then you end up in his crawlspace.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Smiths rule! And Mozz fans can be obsessive. Have you seen 'Who Put The M In Manchester'? It was that 2004 concert I believe. How the fans act in that movie, are how they acted when I saw him live. You would think he was God or something.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home