Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Worst Opening Act Ever

Despite my abject snobbery about music, musicians and the assorted miscellany surrounding same, one of my Top 5 favorite bands of all time is Barenaked Ladies. Yes, the guys who did "One Week" and, yes, I'm pretty much sick of that song too. For the record, I was into them before that particular song hit the airwaves (and, admit it, it's a good song, despite the fact that it got overplayed), having bought all their early, Canadian-produced albums at least a year prior. I've been a fan for about 10 years now and I've seen them in concert 5 times; the most that I've seen any band with the exception of Old 97's, but they don't count since they're from my hometown and hometown bands will always win that particular race.

Anyway, I say all this, risking the eye-rolls and sarcastic comments that usually come with this admission, because we went to see them in concert last night. But this is not a post about them. My professing my love of BNL is merely the set-up; an explanation as to why I was at Radio City Music Hall last night, watching the worst opening act of all time.

Now, no one expects opening acts to be any good. Oh sure, occasionally you'll see The Strokes open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers (or something) but usually it's a random, mediocre band that's either friends with the top-billed act or that have been foisted upon the tour by the record label. Whatever. It's a part of the concert-going experience and I've learned to live with it. However, I, nor my girlfriend, nor anyone at Radio City Music Hall deserved... ugh, I can't even say the name without shuddering... The Mike Doughty Band. Now, those of you who are a veritable font of obscure music knowledge will probably recognize the name Mike Doughty as the ex-frontman for Soul Coughing, a mid-90's band that, if you'll remember, also sucked a tremendous amount of ass (listen to their "hit" song "Circles" again if you doubt me). Anyway, he's back, off heroin, and even less entertaining than before.

Instead of the hip-hopish, spoken-wordy crap that Soul Coughing foisted on the masses, Mike Doughty has gone the other route; the singer/songwriter/douchebag route. What's interesting (I'm using that term extrordinarily loosely) is that he some how has managed to combine everything that's bad with rock and roll into one band. Let's go down the list:

1. Unwarranted Bravado - Mike Doughty is the shit, so thinks Mike Doughty. He's got that chummy, too-loud, anti-humble attitude that only the minorest of musicians seem to posses. Clearly thrilled with himself, he had the unmitigated gall to attempt extended, jokey stage-patter about his "rock and roll tunes" and how he really "bringin' it tonight." Um, ew. You sound like somebody's dad listening to KROQ. Stop it.

2. White-Man Jazz Scating - I don't know if that's exactly what he was doing, but there were a couple of points where he went off on poly-syllable tangents that were remnicisent of Ella Fitzgerald, but thuddingly embarrassing.

3. Samples - There was a whole song that consisted of the band playing their various instruments while Doughty pushed buttons on a sample machine, producing such deep clips as "Too much bacon for the pan to handle," and "Woooo!" And while he did this, he had a spotlight on him. As if that warrants a spotlight. It does, however, warrant a beating.

4. Mike Doughty Looks Like Phil Collins With Downs Syndrome - Okay, that's not technically his fault, but it's still true. I blame the heroin.

5. Guitar Player Stance - He kept doing that thing that only hardcore metal guys can get away with where he'd stand all hunched over, his legs apart like he was bracing himself on a rocky boat, his eyes intently focused on the guitar. This works if you're producing bone crunching black riffs (it helps, too, if you're a 400 pound Norwegian, but I digress), but is merely silly when you're a doughy Irishman who's, at best, doing a bad, Xerox-of-another-Xerox, imitation of the Dave Matthews Band. Having jam band aspirations is vile enough, but then posturing like you're in Darkthrone while you limply noodle on your acoustic guitar is so hateable it's a miracle he didn't burst into flames.

Ugh, there's more but I'm officially sick of talking about this twat. And, anyway, the show ended up being great because Barenaked Ladies are physically incapable of putting on a bad concert. They are, and always will be, a live band and anyone who doubts it should go see them before passing down judgment.

Mike Doughty, you should take notes. Or just go to hell. Either one.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played with Doughty at a show called Monsters of Folk in the late 90s. He was super nice to me. He did an acoustic solo set and was pretty great.

Just thought I should take counter-point on this one.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Counter-point appreciated. I'm glad to hear that, actually, because I'm not (despite evidence) a negative person and I'd always much rather people be nice and pleasent.

I don't know... his part of the show last night was just soooo off-putting.

Maybe it's just me.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOO MUCH BACON FOR THE PAN TO HANDLE! TOO MUCH BACON FOR THE PAN TO HANDLE! TOO MUCH BACON FOR THE PAN TO HANDLE! TOO MUCH BACON FOR THE PAN TO HANDLE! TOO MUCH BACON FOR THE PAN TO HANDLE! TOO MUCH BACON FOR THE PAN TO HANDLE! TOO MUCH BACON FOR THE PAN TO HANDLE! TOO MUCH BACON FOR THE PAN TO HANDLE!

tOo mUcH bAcOn FoR tHe PaN tO hAnDlE!!!!!!!1 ROTFL WTF BBQ?!?!?!?!!!!!11

3:45 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

Mike Doughty, I presume?

3:54 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

BNL rawk!

They are so much better live.

I have to admit, though, that 'What A Good Boy', sometimes makes me cry like a little girl, if I am drunk and in the wrong mood.

The 'green dress' song cracks me up.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally have to disagree with you. Tastes are tastes and I get that, but I just saw BNL in Austin this weekend for the 7th or so time (I got me some Some Fantastic love... ) and I heard Doughty for the first time.

I am now a Mike Doughty fan. His set blew me away, and I have subsequently downloaded 3 of his albums from iTunes and have listened to them non-stop this week. I thoroughly enjoyed his set, and can't wait for the chance to see him again. *even* the sample song :)

--Chris

3:03 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

I'm fully willing to admit and accept that it might just be a "me" thing. Also, he might have been having a bad night when I saw him; happens to the best of bands. But whatever the case, rest assured that I'm A) in the minority on this and B) probably just a bitter old crank who kicks puppies and mocks orphans.

Glad BNL continues to rock, though. And I miss going to concerts in Austin.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at the Chicago concert on Thursday. I agree that Doughty carried a lot of panache but didn't have the stuff to back it up. For what it's worth, his sound was like a poor man's DMB, but not all that bad. Sure "Too Much Bacon for the Pan to Handle" was weird, but "Looking at the World from the Bottom of the World" had a nice groove to it. I've downloaded it, and kinda dig it.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Clinton said...

See, I think you've hit the nail on the head; Doughty sounds like a poor-man's Dave Matthews Band and that's a band I don't particularly care for.

Either that, or I'm just wrong. Both are probably accurate.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, Clinton. I saw BNL last night in Los Angeles and although liked some of his semi-original lyrics thought that he was a cheap DMB imitation. Ed Robertson did come out and sing with him though which definitely rocked. I could not wait for this opening act to be over!

We had so many high hopes for the opening act. During the BNL's Everything for Everyone tour, I heard Butterfly Boucher for the first time, who is so amazing I insisted on buying her album then and there.

I guess Mike Doughty is just too much bacon for the pan to handle.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooooooo... I loved the act. I got his album and his autograph. >:-}D

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home